PDA

View Full Version : eMac and Quicktime 6

arn
Jun 4, 2002, 08:19 AM
Quicktime 6 preview (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/preview/quicktime6/) is now available from Apple.

And as predicted, the eMac (http://www.apple.com/emac/) is now available in retail stores.

TiMacLover
Jun 4, 2002, 08:23 AM
This is a very good move for Apple, the eMac is now the Cube, We have eMac, iMac, then Powerbook. QT 6 is sweet I have been beta testingit and it is awesom, I am happy to see the eMac is not open too all markets, well done Apple, hope to get oen this summer!

Sun Baked
Jun 4, 2002, 08:29 AM
The consumer eMac with a CD-RW, modem, and Appleworks.

Sounds like a little bit better bargain than the grey market education eMac.

Even if it'll mean tossing in a few extra $20s for the consumer grade version.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 08:31 AM
well i am definitely excited about qt 6 and i'm glad there was more to it than just the emac...

i'm looking forward to broadcasting! ha...

blakespot
Jun 4, 2002, 08:31 AM
While I love the design of the new iMac, the eMac is a far more practical machine. That 17" aperture-grille CRT really is a better place to be than the 15" LCD.

blakespot

drastik
Jun 4, 2002, 08:32 AM
huh, coulda dooled me on this one. I guess it makes since, and it is a cool machine. Persoanally I think its kind of ugly, but what do I know.

Has there been a lot of demand for eMac outside of education? I just don't know, out of the acedemic loop these days:D

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
well i am definitely excited about qt 6 and i'm glad there was more to it than just the emac...

i'm looking forward to broadcasting! ha...

Well, you'll have to wait, its not compatible with iMovie or FCP. We'll have to wait for the official release before we can start to actually use it.

drastik
Jun 4, 2002, 08:36 AM
oh, spoke to sson, the price point is perfect, just what apple needs, and affordable G4, real affordable, could this spell the end of old iMac sales?

QT 6 looks hot, but I can't use it. Why must apple do everything during work hours. I suppose this will be the contect of the speech today. Assuming the speech hasn't happened, given that its only six thirty in CA

Anyone know the time?

j763
Jun 4, 2002, 08:58 AM
Well, I'm looking forward to getting a new eMac, but more importantly, I can't wait to take a sledgehammer to that PC...

Well done apple!!!

DavidOS
Jun 4, 2002, 09:08 AM
Very well done, apple! However, I would have liked to see a combo drive as an option - the education store has one . . . Oh well.

gregorypierce
Jun 4, 2002, 09:21 AM
If Apple wants to double their marketshare - this is certainly one hell of a way to do it. The software package that comes with it is also very nice (notes Quicken). Apple Works is still pretty weak - wish their would just add some bodies to OpenOffice and go from there.

Will also be an interesting and potentially confusing shopping trip for consumers with the price point of the iMac and the eMac so close - so I'm kinda confused about that part.... will be interesting to see how they play it, because its not as cut and dry as iMac == low end consumer and PowerMac G4 == high end/professional. But I'm glad the y finally have a machine at the 'right price point'. Hopefully they will push out the old stock at $599 to compete with the trash from eMachines, Dell, and Gateway at the same pricepoint.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 4, 2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by j763
Well, I'm looking forward to getting a new eMac, but more importantly, I can't wait to take a sledgehammer to that PC...

Well done apple!!!

Well, if you do destroy a PC, do something more dramatic and video tape it.

Wrap it in lunch meats and feed it to some Crocs, drop it from a plane without a parachute, build a trebuchet and see how far you can launch it.....

crassusad44
Jun 4, 2002, 09:50 AM
Great news Apple! Could this mean the end of the old CRT iMac? The Apple Store still list the old iMac.

BTW! Isn't it nice to see all the new signs at the Apple Store? :) :D

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Well, if you do destroy a PC, do something more dramatic and video tape it.

Wrap it in lunch meats and feed it to some Crocs, drop it from a plane without a parachute, build a trebuchet and see how far you can launch it.....

you REALLY sound like you're speaking from experience.

as for the emac, i don't think it's all that ugly. not as nice as the imac, but still.... it's for a different group.

good move overall. and i will have to see how well the qt preview is going. i have some fcp work to do so i may end up going back to 5... for now.

irmongoose
Jun 4, 2002, 10:09 AM
umm.. am I the only one who is having problems downloading the Quicktime 6?? I've tried with IE, OmniWeb, Chimera.. no luck.. it just says reading document from akamai.256.blahblah and it never starts the download!!

anyone care to put the installer up on their iDisk or something?? That would really help! Thanks so much!

irmongoose

barkmonster
Jun 4, 2002, 10:24 AM
If there was anything other than the Mbox that could hook up to it and let me use protools LE, i'd snap up one of those in a second if I had the cash right now. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than buying the LCD iMac to me, larger, higher resolution screen, audio input, dirt cheap. If it didn't have a 100Mhz advantage, PCI slots, expansions bays and an AGP slot, the entry level G4 wouldn't be worth anything to anyone now the eMac's available to everyone!

jelloshotsrule
Jun 4, 2002, 10:34 AM
has anyone tried the broadcaster successfully?

i open it up and all the audio and video area is grayed out.... so i can't select a file or anything....

anyone have any idea what's up? thanks

oogje
Jun 4, 2002, 10:39 AM
I didn't have any trouble downloading but I put qt6installer in my iDisk public folder for the person that asked. iTools member name is oogje.

ber

irmongoose
Jun 4, 2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by oogje
I didn't have any trouble downloading but I put qt6installer in my iDisk public folder for the person that asked. iTools member name is oogje.

ber

Thanks so much! I still can't figure out why I can't downlaod it... weird.

Again, thanks! :D :D :D :D

irmongoose

Macmaniac
Jun 4, 2002, 10:59 AM
I think this is the end of the 15in CRT iMac, unless they strip it to a really low price model for $600, it looks like the end.
Possible config for a $600 iMac
600mhz G3
30gb HD
128mb ram
2 fire wire
2usb
cdrw?
I don't know if this is realistic.

Wry Cooter
Jun 4, 2002, 12:03 PM
Some rather basic questions I have not seen addressed:

Quicktime 6:

Where is my Quicktime 5 Pro Key? I think it might be in Get Info for qt5pro. Apparently the key it will work with the 6 preview to open pro functionality.

Why exactly is this a public beta rather than a final release? Merely because the licensing is still up in the air? Is this a political move to get MPEGLA to get off the pot? Is it merely because they are unsure what to charge for a pro key? Or are there actual bugs and feature sets yet to be finalized?

eMac:

Does it still have the audio in jack, or has this been abandoned in favor of a modem (I know several musicians that would snap one up if the audio in was still there). What other changes are there compared to the education models?

eMac commentary:

What did TiMaclover mean by "I am happy to see the eMac is not open too all markets"? Does its release to "everyone else" mean they did not receive enough educational sales? The other comment on "Doubling their marketshare..." Come on!.. Maybe if that reflected that all the 15 inch iMacs would be placed at the 600 dollar mark wintel heavily pushes, that may help a bit...

MacKenzie999
Jun 4, 2002, 12:46 PM
Hey folks...

Does anyone know if the new audio compression format might be compatible with iPod (assuming some software update), or is there hardware necessary for playback preventing this?

Just wondering
-Mike

Cappy
Jun 4, 2002, 12:59 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens now on the emac front. I seriously doubt they want to see the emac upstage the imac is sales.

As for QT6 I have to say it peeves me off a bit to hear Apple claim that they've been holding off on distributing it due to the licensing issues months ago and now it's released as a preview release?!?! It's becoming more and more obvoius that Jobs was bluffing to try and put pressure on the whole mpeg-4 licensing issues.

I wonder when we'll see an aMac, oMac, and uMac. What I would like to see though is an sMac pronounced "smack" and they could advertise it as putting the sMac down on a PC. ;)

jg3
Jun 4, 2002, 01:36 PM
I just want to say that back a day or two before the XServe was introduced, I predicted that this would happen. :) I'm so modest, no? Everyone was talking about how this would finally be the time when Apple would pull out their server iron, and I figured it would be silly to make that kind of push into the business world without having cheap workstations available for all the desk jockeys to use - and the new iMac is not cheap enough to fill that position. Therefore, I figured, Apple would make the eMac available to some wider audience, either for just businesses, or consumers at large. Watch for Jack of As the Apple Turns to possibly reference my email I wrote him about all this (I hope.. please?).

Yay for Apple, yay for the eMac!

rekras
Jun 4, 2002, 01:47 PM
I have qt 6 sitting right here next to me now, but i dont really have anything to try (mpeg4) to see the real benefits and all that, its just exactly the same... does anyone know anywhere i can try out it's new capabilities?

OH YEA, AND WHAT WAS SCULLEY'S BIG ANNOUNCMENT???

Wry Cooter
Jun 4, 2002, 01:56 PM
I think eMac with Xserve makes the point for business use that the cube should have been. (except the cube needed to be priced like the cheapest iMac. It only needs to ship with a telephony app - voice mail, being able to plug a Caller ID capture phone into it for logging and automatically pulling up served client accounts. Oh, and the compatible teleconferencing thing, that qt6 is edging closer to reality.

Tons of bidness werkstations are phone jockeying in front of a screen pulling up database, and little else.

Spidermanjohn
Jun 4, 2002, 02:08 PM
We ran a few video compression tests this morning using QT 6.

OS X 10.1.4 running on my G3 500 PowerBook. I wanted to try this on a slower machine. I also have a dual gig sitting next to my PowerBook, but that was just toooo easy.

Our QT Pro key worked fine. We were very impressed for the MPEG4 1-pass VBR included with QT Pro. Used the exact same settings for Sorenson Squeeze and QT Pro. A :30 DV promo was used as the source. Sorenson encoded faster by about 20%.

MPEG 4 files size 4.1 megs
Sorenson 1-pass file size 3.0 megs
Sorenson 2-pass file size 3.1 megs
Encoded audio at 96k video at 130.

Sorenson and MPEG4 were just about the same visual quality, but Sorenson played smoother on my G3. When both compressed files were open and playing the MPEG4 file dropped frames and stopped at times. When I closed the Sorenson movie the MPEG file played without problems at normal size. If I doubled the size of the MPEG4 movie or played full screen the movie would again drop frames and the audio would stutter. Sorenson did not have these problems. The new MPEG4 trailers available on the Apple site looked wonderful, but still had some of the problems I pointed out above. Their files are compressed from MJPEG last I knew from either a betacam or Digibeta source. This does improve the overall quality after compression.

Encoded the same file using Sorenson 2-pass VBR. Sorenson wins here IMHO. Color was better and the full screen video played smooth, full screen was much cleaner.

QT Pro and MPEG 4, not bad at all for $29.00. We have $400.00 in vested in Squeeze and SV3 Pro.

Just a short report.:)

shadowfax0
Jun 4, 2002, 02:08 PM
So how do I convince someone to buy a new iMac??

Also, what was the other announcement, you know, by Sculley?

whawho
Jun 4, 2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by shadowfax0
So how do I convince someone to buy a new iMac??

The new imac has a DVD-R and it's Faster, top of the line model anyways.

As far as the low end model ... I don't know. I know if I have to choose I would pick the eMac just because of the 17" screen and 1280 x 960 resolution. Price aside. Screen size is why more important to me than LCD vs. CRT.

Sublime
Jun 4, 2002, 03:12 PM
QT6 breaks divx... anyone else get scrambled video?

GabrielX
Jun 4, 2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Sublime
QT6 breaks divx... anyone else get scrambled video?

I haven't tried it yet, but since the FAQ states that QT6 isn't compatable with DivX, I'm not surprised.

From the FAQ:
Will Apple MPEG-4 interoperate with other MPEG-4 technologies?
The MPEG-4 specification is large and contains provisions for many technologies. However, any .mp4 file containing compliant MPEG-4 video and AAC audio should interoperate with QuickTime 6. If you find any interoperability issues please let us know.
Other technologies that report to be MPEG-4 compliant, yet are not contained in an .mp4 file, will not interoperate with QuickTime 6 or other MPEG-4 players. Divx and MPEG-4 from Microsoft are common examples.

Gabriel

peterjhill
Jun 4, 2002, 03:44 PM
I bought a Mac QT key three years ago, lost it when I had to give up my old work computer for a new Dell Laptop last year. Then I bought a Windows QT key last year. Then when i bought my new Ti800 I found out that the Win QT key will not work on Mac OS. So I bought a new Mac QT key.

If I have to buy another freaking QT key I will be Pee Oh'd. Three freakin keys within 12 months is crazy, when I am only using one computer. What the hell.

(In case you didn't see, current QT keys will not work in the final release of QT 6.

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Jun 4, 2002, 04:11 PM
Damn, I was really hoping on QT6 to play AVIs. This sucks. Maybe in the final release it will....

GabrielX
Jun 4, 2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger
Damn, I was really hoping on QT6 to play AVIs. This sucks. Maybe in the final release it will....

I use DivX Dr. to play them.
http://doctor.3ivx.com/
Its a bit of a workaround, but if the file is worth it, its worth the trouble. Right now, unfortunately, some files will only play on the OS 9 version of QT after translating, though. I hope that will be fixed in QT 6, regardless of whether it includes native DivX play.

Gabriel

Royal Pineapple
Jun 4, 2002, 05:22 PM
what are the advantages of MPEG 4 over previous MPEG formats, everything iv read never made that very clear.
thanks for the help
-royal

nigel_t
Jun 4, 2002, 05:28 PM
Who knows what ground shattering news john sculley announced today, I haven't seen squat yet.

imspace2
Jun 4, 2002, 05:38 PM
I notice a big improvement in speed the menus also fuction better

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Jun 4, 2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by GabrielX

I use DivX Dr. to play them.
http://doctor.3ivx.com/
Its a bit of a workaround, but if the file is worth it, its worth the trouble. Right now, unfortunately, some files will only play on the OS 9 version of QT after translating, though. I hope that will be fixed in QT 6, regardless of whether it includes native DivX play.

Gabriel

Thanks! It works! I can finally watch Avi's! Woo hoo! Thank goodness there's Macrumors forums!!!

jaykk
Jun 4, 2002, 08:56 PM
My key for Mac OS works for QT 6 preview/beta.

Wry Cooter
Jun 4, 2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by jaykk
My key for Mac OS works for QT 6 preview/beta.

Which is cool of apple to do. I dondon't think anyone has been contesting that, the pro key works with the preview.

But you should take care to write it down before you install the preview, because I imagine the preview install could easily overwrite it, then you wouldn't know what your key was, and would have to buy another one sooner than the official qt6 release.

SilvorX
Jun 4, 2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I think this is the end of the 15in CRT iMac, unless they strip it to a really low price model for $600, it looks like the end.
Possible config for a $600 iMac
600mhz G3
30gb HD
128mb ram
2 fire wire
2usb
cdrw?
I don't know if this is realistic.
looks unrealistic, maybe just add a combo drive, 256 megs of ram, 800mhz g3, 60 gig drive n sell it as the same price as the current top model of the classic imac

Macette
Jun 4, 2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by MacKenzie999
Hey folks...

Does anyone know if the new audio compression format might be compatible with iPod (assuming some software update), or is there hardware necessary for playback preventing this?

Just wondering
-Mike

Yeah, I'm wondering too.

I'm assuming that they made the ipod firmware updatable with this very thing in mind.

God, I can't begin to imagine re-importing all those tunes... I have 18 gig of MP3s. *sigh* But the quality improvement (and any space savings) would be much appreciated.

Wry Cooter
Jun 4, 2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Macette

God, I can't begin to imagine re-importing all those tunes... I have 18 gig of MP3s. *sigh* But the quality improvement (and any space savings) would be much appreciated.

I have over 70 meg. There is no way I'm going to bother.

cyclist
Jun 5, 2002, 12:04 AM
Hi folks,

Okay, I'm still really new to this.

I downloaded the Quicktime 6 Public Preview and installed it, but the only thing that happens is a new looking Quicktime window with a link back to the initial Quicktime 6 Public Preview page appears.

What am I missing?

I'm running OS X 10.1.4

any help?

thanks.

jelloshotsrule
Jun 5, 2002, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Wry Cooter

What did TiMaclover mean by "I am happy to see the eMac is not open too all markets"? Does its release to "everyone else" mean they did not receive enough educational sales? T

i'm almost certain it was a typo meant to be "the emac is noW open to all markets"....

as for the audio and ipod.

it will require an ipod software update, that should be it.

no reason hardware would be required. after all, no one had to get a particular new piece of hardware for qt 6..

elmimmo
Jun 5, 2002, 04:08 AM
At the age of QT4, Apple promissed MPEG-2 decoding with Quicktime 5. Yet when it was released there was absolutely no MPEG-2 decoding through Quicktime, absolutely no word from Apple in respect, and most articles in the knowledge base featuring that promise vanished. Quite lame for Apple, trying to put that in a hole and cover it with some dirt and hope no one remembered that.

BUT, hey, after a while Quicktime 6 was on the works and it really would support MPEG-2 decoding this time (along with MPEG-1 -how smart-, and MPEG-4), really. Oops, preview release is out and no MPEG-2 decoding from Quicktime and no word about it in QT6PR's web page.

Crappy Apple...

As for DivX playback, I read that one of QT6 betas came with ffmpeg.component instead of what is included with QT6 which is QuickTimeMPEG4.component, and that with it you could playback DivX video 4 or 5, but NOT 3 (which is what the majority of films aout there are encoded with), as long as no other conflicting decoder, such as 3ivx D4 PR1 Decoder OSX, was installed. Still, the bug handling MP3 inside avis persisted in that beta (still is?) so you still needed DivX doctor to watch them properly.
You might want to give a try to MPlayerOSX, a port of a linux player which will let you play avis with DivX & MP3 without any need of doctoring or conversion. However it is somewhat buggy and will not let you, for example, playing non-fullscreen. Search for it at http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/

elmimmo
Jun 5, 2002, 04:24 AM
OK, blame on me... That is covered in the FAQ at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/preview/quicktime6/faq.html

I thought QuickTime 6 included MPEG-2 decoding. Where is it?
The QuickTime MPEG-2 decode component is not available during the preview period but will be available when QuickTime 6 is final.

tjwett
Jun 5, 2002, 06:31 AM
It says on Apple's site that you can use your QT5 Pro key in the preview version of QT6 but when the final version is released you'll have to get a new key. I just bought QT5 Pro recently. Do you think they'll make us pay again? That would really blow.

peterjhill
Jun 5, 2002, 06:53 AM

But you should take care to write it down before you install the preview, because I imagine the preview install could easily overwrite it, then you wouldn't know what your key was, and would have to buy another one sooner than the official qt6 release.

From www.apple.com QT 6 FAQ:
-----------------------------------------
Will my QuickTime 5 Pro key work in this Public Preview?

Yes. QuickTime 6 Public Preview will automatically recognize your QuickTime 5 Pro key during installation. However, you should write it down prior to installation for safekeeping.

Will my QuickTime 5 Pro key work in the final release of QuickTime 6?

Because QuickTime 6 will include royalty-bearing technologies, a new QuickTime Pro key will be required to unlock pro functionality in the final release.

mmmdreg
Jun 5, 2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by blakespot
While I love the design of the new iMac, the eMac is a far more practical machine. That 17" aperture-grille CRT really is a better place to be than the 15" LCD.

blakespot

why do you say that?

mmmdreg
Jun 5, 2002, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by blakespot

blakespot

why do you say that? and anyway, the LCD makes up for lack of practicality (and it already is extremley practical) by being more stylish...:)

Wry Cooter
Jun 5, 2002, 10:36 AM
CRTs can more flexibly use a wider range of resolutions than LCDs.

GabrielX
Jun 5, 2002, 11:38 AM
CRTs can more flexibly use a wider range of resolutions than LCDs.

I've been using laptops as my home machine for the last three years, and now have a CRT at work, of which I've changed the resolution once, to make it more suited for me. All of this leads to the question, will the flexibility of resolution matter to your average home user, or even your slightly above average home user?

I've never missed it, but then I may just not know what I am missing.

Gabriel

peterjhill
Jun 5, 2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by GabrielX

All of this leads to the question, will the flexibility of resolution matter to your average home user, or even your slightly above average home user?

I've never missed it, but then I may just not know what I am missing.

Gabriel

My inlaws like to operate at the 800x600 range on 17 inch monitors because they find it too difficult to make everything bigger by hand, so they would like the extra clarity that a crt can provide at varing resolutions.

GabrielX
Jun 5, 2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by peterjhill

My inlaws like to operate at the 800x600 range on 17 inch monitors because they find it too difficult to make everything bigger by hand, so they would like the extra clarity that a crt can provide at varing resolutions.

Thank you.

I never thought of that (obviously).

Gabriel

Wry Cooter
Jun 5, 2002, 12:24 PM
I've been surprised how often I have seen people at a Mac dealer go to the monitor panel and change resolutions on LCDs such a an iBook or new iMac, to learn of the newly limited flexibility.

Besides the "Can't see so well anymore" bits, which may be handled differently in Jaguar (yet only workable I would think in cocoa quartz apps), there are also a lot of people who like a higher resolution to grab more desktop space. But stuff can look like mud at the wrong resolutions on an LCD.. the pixels are fixed and not as flexible as a smaller pitched CRT.

peterjhill
Jun 5, 2002, 12:25 PM
I'm tempted to replace my wifes old HP with either an iBook or an eMac. It is a trade off, G4 and screen size vs portability

boobers
Jun 5, 2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by elmimmo
OK, blame on me... That is covered in the FAQ at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/preview/quicktime6/faq.html

Somewhere in the land of HL i found a mpeg2 decoder that i put in my QT library..Voila! mpeg2 play in QT6

very nice i might add.
boobers

DakotaGuy
Jun 7, 2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by peterjhill
I'm tempted to replace my wifes old HP with either an iBook or an eMac. It is a trade off, G4 and screen size vs portability

Don't discount the new 700 iBook just cuz it's a G3. Tried one out yesterday and it is a fast machine. It was keeping up with an older 550 TiBook at the dealer with no problem.

DakotaGuy
Jun 7, 2002, 08:04 PM
Oh yeah...by the way I am going to get a new eMac this fall to replace my iMacDV which just turned 2 this past May. I think the new eMac and my iBook 600 will look so nice side by side!!!!!!!!! What is a decent asking price for a Blueberry iMac DV 400, DVD-ROM, 128MB RAM, in excellent condition and will my iSub work with the new eMac? This was a great move for Apple and the "e" in my opinon stands for not only "education" and "everyone" but also"economical" Mac!

Wry Cooter
Jun 7, 2002, 09:53 PM
Abercrombie,

A cursory glance at eBay has Macky, your Blueberry iMac DV 400, topping out around 450 bucks in most cases, but perhaps going as low as 200.

I would guess your iSub might possibly have problems with OS X on an eMac, as the only iSub problems I have heard of were due to USB weirdness with the latest OS updates. Bad tidings for the iSub may be a long shot though, Theoretically, I don't see any reason why it should have problems with the eMac.

DakotaGuy
Jun 7, 2002, 10:32 PM
Thanks Cooter,

That does not sound like a bad price. In that case I might put him up for sale in the near future before more depreciation takes place and just use my iBook until fall when I get enough cash in the reserve for a new eMac. Is Mac resale better then PC's? Seems like it might be. I can't wait...My brother and a friend of mine are getting one too, they both have them ordered!!! They are both PC converts. The price and features sold them to a Mac finally!