Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
macbookprowindows7closeup.jpg

original Link:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/03/windows-7-installed-on-a-new-macbook-pro-sparks-fly/

oh man! this will be interesting :)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Meh... No surprise really, as it's not any different than running some other version of windows on a Mac now.

Now I might be impressed if I had possession of a copy and was able to try it out. :eek: :p

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Meh... No surprise really, as it's not any different than running some other version of windows on a Mac now.

Now I might be impressed if I had possession of a copy and was able to try it out. :eek: :p

Windows 7 build 6801 is pretty easy to find.

I could put it on my MBP, but I choose not to because there are bugs with it, and you can only use it for 120 days without reformatting it. You can use it past 120 days, but then it restarts every 2 hours I do believe.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Windows 7 build 6801 is pretty easy to find.

I could put it on my MBP, but I choose not to because there are bugs with it, and you can only use it for 120 days without reformatting it. You can use it past 120 days, but then it restarts every 2 hours I do believe.
I meant in terms of a final build. Not the buggy beta versions currently available.

Sorry. I should have been clearer. :eek:

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
yea definitely interested in the new final build. I am just a recent pc convert, but i still have programs for school like Pspice that are still windows only :(

I only have vista cd and it is a little more than dissapointing. I hope it becomes what vista should've been.

Either way, I prefer OSX for everyday activities :)

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
yea definitely interested in the new final build. I am just a recent pc convert, but i still have programs for school like Pspice that are still windows only :(

I only have vista cd and it is a little more than dissapointing. I hope it becomes what vista should've been.

Either way, I prefer OSX for everyday activities :)

From what I've read it's actually pretty damn stable for being a pre-beta (alpha; don't know why they don't just call it that). But yeah, can't see why/how this is all that surprising. To the best of my knowledge, Vista drivers will work fine in Windows 7.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
From what I've read it's actually pretty damn stable for being a pre-beta (alpha; don't know why they don't just call it that). But yeah, can't see why/how this is all that surprising. To the best of my knowledge, Vista drivers will work fine in Windows 7.

It's called Pre-beta because that's what it is in their development line.

The MS development line generally goes like this:

Alpha: This is where features are added and debuted in. This will the period in development where the most radical changes are seen. It's also the time when the OS is not the most stable. Concentration is focused on adding features and concepts, not at fixing bugs (yes, they do fix bugs, but major ones that keep the feature from functioning properly).

Pre-Beta: This is not the same as Alpha. Features that were in Alpha are evaluated on how complete they are. If they're close to completion (functionality wise), then they are brought into the Beta stage. Bugs are still worked on. This is also a period when features are apparent.

What I mean by this, is that in alpha builds, leaked builds may have features "hidden." This happened in Windows Longhorn (there are some features that are hidden in various builds, such as DWM (aero) in build 4074 is hidden) as well as Whistler (code name of XP). One such feature was the new start menu. In one build, it's actually disabled by default and hidden, because it's buggy, but it can be enabled. One such feature that some people here may know is the new menubar (I believe called the superbar). In the build distributed at PDC 08, it's hidden and disabled by default and the only way to have access to it is by being on the MS network and being in an authorized group to have access to it. Someone found a way to bypass it and enable it on Build 6801. In some previous screenshots from other presentations, the superbar was also present, but we didn't know what it was, and it looked a little different.

So Pre-beta is a time when a lot of fun things that was in Alpha builds but hidden start to come out.

The beta stage is fixing bugs. Sometimes, features are also dropped (such as virtual folders in Vista Beta 1 was dropped after Beta 1). Basically, it's a time when major bugs are crushed and the OS is prepped to go into Release Candidate stage.

Release Candidate stage is when the OS is feature complete. Pretty much everything is finalized, but bugs are still hunted down and squashed (by this time, they're looking for smaller bugs and the bigger are generally gone by the time it reaches RC stage).

It then moves onto Pre-RTM (release to manufacturing). This is when show stopper bugs are looked for. Sometimes only 1 RC build is made and that can go Pre-RTM and then RTM, but I can't think of a time this has happened. Sometimes Pre-RTM build becomes the RTM build. For Vista, they bumped the build number to 6000, when I don't think there are any changes between the Pre-RTM build and RTM build.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
anyone know the exact system requirements for 7?
and what about it? is it a lot better than vista? any more original? I just read today of some stunning similarities between Vista and Mac OS X

crazyxzer0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2008

its not surprising, just interesting to me as i am stuck in bloated vista for schoolwork. maybe this os will make my windows experience that much closer to osx. :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Windows 7 uses the same drivers that Vista uses so compatibility is there. Even in a virtual machine it's remarkably perky. Keep in mind Windows 7 is designed to work on Netbook and multicore monsters. It's much more scalable then Vista is.

I've heard plenty of professionals and developers going full Windows 7 68xx/69xx build since it's so stable.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
i sure hope this isnt as much of a failure as vista was :rolleyes:

It's a failure? That's news to me.:rolleyes:

Go troll elsewhere. :rolleyes:

Supposedly Windows 7's requirements are very much like Vista's. If you can run Vista, you should be able to run Windows 7 without any problems.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA

Supposedly Windows 7's requirements are very much like Vista's. If you can run Vista, you should be able to run Windows 7 without any problems.
It all depends on how you define failure. In terms of sales no, it is not a failure, but that is virtually guaranteed by Microsoft's sales methods. As for business penetration yes, it is a failure just about any way you look at it. There has been virtually no large business success for Vista; most companies buy new computers and immediate downgrade them the XP (that is certainly what my company does). As a matter of fact MS just extended the downgrade licenses to allow this for another year.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
It all depends on how you define failure. In terms of sales no, it is not a failure, but that is virtually guaranteed by Microsoft's sales methods. As for business penetration yes, it is a failure just about any way you look at it. There has been virtually no large business success for Vista; most companies buy new computers and immediate downgrade them the XP (that is certainly what my company does). As a matter of fact MS just extended the downgrade licenses to allow this for another year.

And on the flip side, consumer acceptance has not been a failure. Sure, there are a lot of XP nuts that'll probably stick with XP for the rest of their lives (because they're insane) but they make up very little of the total.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

haha, yea ok i will go troll :p

yea well Windows 7 is pretty much going to be an "under the hood" kind of upgrade, so im guessing it may even run faster than vista because of the re-written code and such, much like Snow Leopard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.