Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
FW800 port.

Unless of course they release a MBP12" or 13" with matte screen :D

Anyone think the same?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
WTF is it with people and FW?
Look buddy, sometimes you have to sacrifice size/weight for features. The purpose of the MB Air is not to force you to be tethered to wires. It is supposed to be a truly mobile computer. If you want something with FW then the MBP is where it is at. Unfortunately, you have to have something that is bigger and heavier, but that's just the way it is.

You can sit around and hold out in buying the Air until it has those two features but I will be glad to bet you any thing that you will not see FW in an Air in the next two years or even ever. 4GB ram, maybe, FW, not a chance.

Also your hopes for a 12" or 13" MBP are even more lofty. :rolleyes:

n0de

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Hey sparkie, how's that waiting working out for ya?

You're going to be doing it for a while.

:D

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Look buddy, sometimes you have to sacrifice size/weight for features. The purpose of the MB Air is not to force you to be tethered to wires. It is supposed to be a truly mobile computer. If you want something with FW then the MBP is where it is at. Unfortunately, you have to have something that is bigger and heavier, but that's just the way it is.

You can sit around and hold out in buying the Air until it has those two features but I will be glad to bet you any thing that you will not see FW in an Air in the next two years or even ever. 4GB ram, maybe, FW, not a chance.

yeh, why is that. As I see it Apple still has a gap in the line up. The gap they left void when they stopped making/updating the 12" G4 Powerbook. Essentially there is No 12" MBP

There are still pros who are highly mobile who want a small laptop without sacrificing connectivity to hi-speed devices

Why is that so hard to get across :confused:

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Hey sparkie, how's that waiting working out for ya?

You're going to be doing it for a while.

:D

yeh, i waited 3 yrs for a new MBP release. And when it came it sucked. So I bought the 'updated' MBP 17, 2.6GHz SSD Anti-Glare. I'm VERY patient. Been using and supporting Apple for 19 years and don't see it changing anytime soon :D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
yeh, why is that. As I see it Apple still has a gap in the line up. The gap they left void when they stopped making/updating the 12" G4 Powerbook. Essentially there is No 12" MBP

There are still pros who are highly mobile who want a small laptop without sacrificing connectivity to hi-speed devices

It is not hard to get across. Check your delivery approach and perhaps that'll answer some of your questions. :cool:

I understand there are pros who are mobile and want to be able to attach themselves to a high speed device. However, that is what the still very portable MBP is for. I carried a slightly heavier 15" PowerBook all through college never once regretting my decision to get the 15". Now, if they had the Air I would have gotten that. However, if I am a "pro" (which btw I am not sure wtf you're referring to as far as "pro" goes) and I need to be mobile, I am probably not mobile all of the time. Therefore, a 15" MBP is not so heavy that I cannot take it out here and there.

Whatever gap you detect is going to be there out of Apple's fear of cannibalizing their own lineup. I hate that myself, but if I need ultra portable and lots of ports I'll get a Dell or an HP. I don't hate windows all that much.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
It is not hard to get across. Check your delivery approach and perhaps that'll answer some of your questions. :cool:

I understand there are pros who are mobile and want to be able to attach themselves to a high speed device. However, that is what the still very portable MBP is for. I carried a slightly heavier 15" PowerBook all through college never once regretting my decision to get the 15". Now, if they had the Air I would have gotten that. However, if I am a "pro" (which btw I am not sure wtf you're referring to as far as "pro" goes) and I need to be mobile, I am probably not mobile all of the time. Therefore, a 15" MBP is not so heavy that I cannot take it out here and there.

Whatever gap you detect is going to be there out of Apple's fear of cannibalizing their own lineup. I hate that myself, but if I need ultra portable and lots of ports I'll get a Dell or an HP. I don't hate windows all that much.

My delivery? FO, I'll say it like it is. Heh :D

A "Pro" (AKA Professional) is anyone who makes their living with their machine. Not some muppet sitting around their bedroom watching youtube and "surfing" the net. and MSN chat. Hope you got that clear now

I have a 15 & 17. 15 is not what I call "ultra-portable". thats why I guess Apple in their wisdom released a 12" G4 Powerbook

I will Never get a Dell or HP. The experience and OS just plain sucks. I dont see how a hi-end 12" MBP or MBA Pro (if one wants to call it that) will cannibalise Apple's own line up

Apple are smart enough to leave out, add features to differentiate to make sure this does not happen

PittAir

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
Yawn.

I have both the new 13" Macbook and a Rev A Macbook Air. Different machines for different purposes.

Maybe you can get a 17" Pro. It will be 5 pounds plus when it arrives in January. But at least you can get your 4 GB and maybe a FW port.

The Rev B Macbook Air is for a specific segment of users. That segment does not include people who need a FW 800 port, 4 GB of RAM, or an optical drive -- ie the vast majority of business and academic users who need quick and portable internet access, reasonable Windows interoperability, and the ability to run the vast majority of productivity apps reasonably.

Gaming and intensive video viewing are a bonus for those who want it.

Big time graphics or IT users are not the target of the Air--no surprise right now if you're not happy.

DeaconGraves

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Dallas, TX
A "Pro" (AKA Professional) is anyone who makes their living with their machine. Not some muppet sitting around their bedroom watching youtube and "surfing" the net. and MSN chat. Hope you got that clear now

So what exactly are you using it for? Because I'm guessing if it's anything super "professional", the extra RAM and FW port are not going to give you the performance boost needed with the slower processor and integrated graphics already there.

Just accept that the MBA is not for you and move on.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
A 12/13 MBP is probably more appropriate. I see the segment the MBA fills. I just seriously think a hi-spec ultra-portable is still valid.

MBA Pro or 12/13 MBP

Now, will all you MBA worshippers chill :D

CoreyMac

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I dont think there will ever be a FW port in the Air....

1) Space restraints
2) They removed it from the regular MacBook as well and it appears they're going to slowly move away from it all together. The new Pro may be the last Apple notebook with a FW port for all we know.

...also of note, I think the new Aluminum MacBook is the closest you're gonna get to a 12/13" macbook pro.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My delivery? FO, I'll say it like it is. Heh :D

I have a 15 & 17. 15 is not what I call "ultra-portable". thats why I guess Apple in their wisdom released a 12" G4 Powerbook

I will Never get a Dell or HP. The experience and OS just plain sucks. I dont see how a hi-end 12" MBP or MBA Pro (if one wants to call it that) will cannibalise Apple's own line up

Apple are smart enough to leave out, add features to differentiate to make sure this does not happen
FO? Really kiddo. :rolleyes: Good luck waiting, keep telling it like it is sparkles. If you can't grasp the concept of cannibalizing your own lineup then I don't know what to tell you.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
FO? Really kiddo. :rolleyes: Good luck waiting, keep telling it like it is sparkles. If you can't grasp the concept of cannibalizing your own lineup then I don't know what to tell you.

Yes really. And I'm no kiddo FYI. Probably been using Macs longer than you have.

I totally grasp the concept of cannibalization. RE-Read my last para. It might Register the second time around.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

I got news for you my man, the 12" Powerbook G4 was nothing more than a glorified iBook G4. The 12" Powerbook had the same design limitations that the iBook did, outside from the aluminum there was nothing about the 12" Powerbook that was truly a "Powerbook".
It was released the same time as the 17" Powerbook yet the 12" Powerbook had the same ram limitations as the iBook, no FW 800, no PC card slot, no backlit keyboard, the CPU and GPU were always way below of what you could get on the 15" and 17" models and the screen was washed out like the iBook.

The new Macbook is not only a perfect successor to the 12" Powerbook, it offers a heck of a lot more and is much closer to the Pro line than the 12" PB ever was. You're giving it too much credit.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
I'm not glorifying the 12" PB G4. I used it as an example that a segment existed for it then and still does today. I'm stating that a 12" MBP or enhanced version of the MBA has its niche.

Its that simple.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030

;) I think it's their reason to NEVER buy:rolleyes: We love our two BMB's, when it comes time to replace them,I will, and use/take what :apple: offers. I use FW for the first time last week to hook up one of these,
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MOTGFWU2/ to a BMB,put in a 320 Gb WD Scorpio HDD. it also has USB2.0 capabilities as well ,so lack of FW wouldn't have been a problem

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
;) I think it's their reason to NEVER buy:rolleyes: We love our two BMB's, when it comes time to replace them,I will, and use/take what :apple: offers. I use FW for the first time last week to hook up one of these,
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MOTGFWU2/ to a BMB,put in a 320 Gb WD Scorpio HDD. it also has USB2.0 capabilities as well ,so lack of FW wouldn't have been a problem

USB2.0 is much slower than FW800. And you can't use TD mode with USB which can come in very handy

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
the only problem is I DO use FW all the time. Both 400 & 800. And over USB any day, given the choice

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
I agree with the consensus here on FW -- the Air is just not the machine you need if you are constantly hooking up to FW devices. (That said, I'd really like to see a FW option on the 13" MB. If there were one, it would at least shut the 12" PB G4 worshippers up...)

The Rev B Macbook Air is for a specific segment of users. That segment does not include people who need a FW 800 port, 4 GB of RAM, or an optical drive -- ie the vast majority of business and academic users who need quick and portable internet access, reasonable Windows interoperability, and the ability to run the vast majority of productivity apps reasonably.

But I agree with the OP on 4GB RAM. 2GB is not enough for "reasonable Windows interoperability," because you can't run Windows and OS X side by side without horrible swapping in one or both OSes. 2GB is also not enough to run more than a few non-demanding apps at once in Leopard.

I'll buy an Air when there is an update, or a CTO option, to get 4GB RAM. I've told Apple that on their feedback page -- you should too.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
its called milking the buyers along the upgrade path. You don't think Apple could have put a single 4GB stick in the MBA 2.0? Of course they could have.

They'll get you and your $$$ on the next update. Milk, milk, milk

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
its called milking the buyers along the upgrade path. You don't think Apple could have put a single 4GB stick in the MBA 2.0? Of course they could have.

They'll get you and your $$$ on the next update. Milk, milk, milk

You're only look at it from "customer" standpoint. The new Macbook (based on your theory) is one machine that would slow people down from upgrading to Apple's next revision. You can upgrade the HDD, replace the battery and have up to 4GB of ram which is way more than most people need.

I don't think Apple purposely wired only 2GB of ram on the Air. Did it ever occur to you that the logic board (being as small as it is) could only support that much? Don't forget that Intel was a part of the logic board/chip design and most likely 2GB is that max that can be used in the current design. Apple isn't out to burn every customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.