Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I ordered a G4 PowerBook to replace my iBook (company paid for :D) online using my education discount, and was able to just click through without confirming my student status. I've heard that they call you to confirm, but have not received and calls from then since I ordered it on Friday. The order status at the online store says the PowerBook has shipped, but the FedEx tracking screen does not show the package as having been picked up by FedEx yet.

Can someone who's used the edu store please tell me how they confirmed student status? I'm worried they won't ship my PowerBook soon because of this.

Thanks in advance.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I had my proof in hand, but they never called me, wrote to me, e-mailed me, or showed up on my doorstep. They shipped my purchase and that was that.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
They've never checked me out as far as I know (I've never lied to them either) and I've ordered 1 computer via my EDU discount and 3 or 4 pieces of software (never exceeded the 2 per year limit though). I "go" to a correspondence school a good 5 or 6 states away so I'm sure it all sounds fishy to them but I've never had to show them proof.

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I've ordered many things from the edu store, and never been asked for verification. If you read the fine print though, they say they do randomly check up on people, and if they find you're not eligible, you'll owe the discount amount back to them. We're all honest Mac users though....

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
After reading all the replies, I'm a little surprised to say that after I ordered my iMac (indigo) from them, they did call to verify my student status. I had to fax them my student ID.
-Kev
P.S. If you remember, a lot of apple's educational staff has been recently laid off so I'm not sure exactly what will happen in the future.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: Edu discount confirmation?

Originally posted by ibookin'
I ordered a G4 PowerBook to replace my iBook (company paid for :D) (snip) I'm worried they won't ship my PowerBook soon because of this.
hah so that means we can videochat again without you having to be at your desk? w000t.

Anyway, you worry too much sweetie...i think you should chill, if apple has any probs they'll call ya. i havent ordered anything from the online store with an edu discount, but it seems like you worry too much.
btw, happy anniversary :) today is the 10th after all.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I've ordered through the edu. discount store, no problems ever. Got myself a TiBook about 15 months ago, and my wife an iBook in December. Never got delayed, or hassled at all about it. I wouldn't worry. As long as they aren't bugging you I would assume all is well. Congrats on the new 'Book.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.