Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Cable group Virgin Media has said it will cut 2,200 jobs by 2012, as part of a group-wide overhaul.

Virgin Media said the changes were "critical" to ensuring it was positioned to compete effectively.

The firm said it expected to improve its cash flow by up to £120m ($186.4m) over the next four years.

The company won a deal to delay its debt repayments earlier this month, giving it until 2012 to refinance £4.3bn worth of loans.
BBC.

There goes another big chunk of jobs :(

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh bugger! Thing is Virgin has a much nicer public image than Sky and more content than Freeview, we're likely to go with them when me and the girlfriend get a place together.

Hope the service doesn't falter and hope those 2,200 get jobs swiftly.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Oh bugger! Thing is Virgin has a much nicer public image than Sky and more content than Freeview, we're likely to go with them when me and the girlfriend get a place together.

Hope the service doesn't falter and hope those 2,200 get jobs swiftly.

I wouldn't suggest it, I've found Virgin to be bandwidth nit pickers, if you so happen to go over 350mb downloads a week, you get limited to 512k, then over another limit (that I haven't worked out), you get put to just over dial up speeds. Virgin are horrific for customer service too, very rude and obnoxious.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I wouldn't suggest it, I've found Virgin to be bandwidth nit pickers, if you so happen to go over 350mb downloads a week, you get limited to 512k, then over another limit (that I haven't worked out), you get put to just over dial up speeds. Virgin are horrific for customer service too, very rude and obnoxious.

You'd be insanely f***ed then if you played World of WarCraft.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
They're not nitpicking, and the extent of "capping" isn't down to chance. Their throttling policy has been around for quite a while and is documented.

"Traffic management".

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
They're not nitpicking, and the extent of "capping" isn't down to chance. Their throttling policy has been around for quite a while and is documented.

"Traffic management".

I didn't say the capping was down to chance :confused: I'm just saying their bandwidth policy isn't exactly great and that the connection isn't reliable.

I know that it's been that way a while, we've been with them a while... we're waiting to jump ship once the contracts up...

Hopefully BT will be more reliable.

EDIT: I didn't know they finally put up the actual amounts you need to download before you get capped, that's handy.

You'd be insanely f***ed then if you played World of WarCraft.

A few nights of xbox live and general internet browsing is easily enough to push it over...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Then I'll stick to Freeview and one of them godly awesome lesser-known ISPs who are friendly to pirates (not that I'm a pirate, but I do a lot of iPlayer and online gaming).

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I love how cutting jobs to ensure future earnings basically just means the remaining employees workload just doubled without a raise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.