PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro Power Supply Replacement

vladimir929
Nov 11, 2008, 03:39 PM
I have a mac pro(2008) and I want to place alot of cards in my mac and i'm starting to hit the roof on the amount of power the power supply can deliver, I was wondering if there was a way to replace it.

wheezy
Nov 11, 2008, 04:18 PM
Where do you go to see how much power you're using? What's the MP PSU rated at? I'm just curious.

tonyl
Nov 11, 2008, 04:43 PM
I have a mac pro(2008) and I want to place alot of cards in my mac and i'm starting to hit the roof on the amount of power the power supply can deliver, I was wondering if there was a way to replace it.
You mean upgrading? If yes, then no, you can only get same kind of power supply.

vladimir929
Nov 11, 2008, 04:49 PM
so what your saying is there is no way to replace the power supply with a different 3rd party one. Why is that?

tonyl
Nov 11, 2008, 04:57 PM
so what your saying is there is no way to replace the power supply with a different 3rd party one. Why is that?

The connectors on the logic board are not standard. so you can not just buy 3rd party one and plug it into your MP. If you are expert, you can rewire these cables.

Just wondering how many cards you have? The PS in MP is rated 1000w I think, it should be plenty.

pwn247
Nov 12, 2008, 05:51 AM
Bro, there's no way you're using 1,000 watts of power during the use of your computer. :p You could have four high-end overclocked Nvidia BFGs in there and you still wouldn't overdo it.

When I'm just running Firefox- everything else default- I'm only topping 100w. And it would be very hard to replace the PSU... with all the cables routing around back/inside of the case like that.

And you can see how much power you're using with iStat Menus: http://islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/