PDA

View Full Version : dock that does these..

renixomba
Nov 11, 2008, 05:01 PM
I'm wondering if there is a dock that can simultaneously be connected to my computer for synching, my computer speakers for listening, and a power source charging. That way, I can listen to my music and/or charge it w/o turning on the computer and i don't have to keep on swapping the cable. Does the universal dock do that? I feel like it only has one output and I would have to swap cables or change where it can be connected to.

If there isn't one available, is there a splitter cable or something.

smilinmonki666
Nov 30, 2008, 06:44 AM
The Apple dock does this fine.

akbc
Nov 30, 2008, 10:23 AM
Universal dock would do everything you mentioned, but yes, it does not have more than one output.

However, if you drop by at a local dollar store, you can get a Y-cable that lets you plug in two speakers at the same time.

That seems to be the only solution at the moment.

g'luck :)

TraceyS/FL
Nov 30, 2008, 12:06 PM
Here you seen these from iHome?

http://www.ihomeaudio.com/products.asp?product_id=10261&dept_id=1038

Otherwise i just use my Apple Dock - or my portable speakers when i had them connected to the computer.

GoSUV
Dec 2, 2008, 02:55 PM
Universal dock would do everything you mentioned, but yes, it does not have more than one output.

However, if you drop by at a local dollar store, you can get a Y-cable that lets you plug in two speakers at the same time.

That seems to be the only solution at the moment.

g'luck :)

Actually, if you buy Apple's composite or component AV cable, you do get two audio outputs if you use it with the universal dock. The composite/component cable comes with the dock connector at one end, which connects to the dock, while the other end has the USB plug for charging/syncing, and a yellow video cable (for composite) or a trio of 3 component video cables (for component) AND also a pair of red&white RCA line level audio outputs. Which leaves the line out port on the back of the universal dock still open to connect a 3.5" mini stereo to red&white RCA cable to a 2nd amplifier/external speaker.

I agree the Apple branded cables and dock are rather expensive, but this is the easy way to get an elegant solution.