Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Torajima

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Yesterday the Apple Store began selling "refurbished" Dual 1.8 G5's for the low, low, price of $1995.

I called Apple to order one, but they had already sold out. They tried to offer me a new single processor unit for the same price... no thanks! :)

Yesterday afternoon, Smalldog started selling "refurbished" G5's for the first time. They are supposed to receive a large shipment in about a week.

So Apple is clearing their inventory... the new G5's have got to be coming soon!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I'm all for PM updates, but I have NEVER put any stock in the refurb store as an accurate indicator of imminent updates. Still, it would be nice to see those 3 GH\z PMs sometime soon!

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
:D Hah! I think they have gotten use to Motorola all these years of doing nothing. I have concluded if they do nothing so will me and my wallet. Still waiting for the G5 Imac like millions of others. Motorola has taught me patience,patience and more patience.:eek:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
That would be nice, and it is a Tuesday, but there have been zero rumors about a Feb 10th roll out of new PM....

For all of Apple secrecy, its very rare that anything gets by with out some sort of leak.

D

Torajima

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Originally posted by ~Shard~
I'm all for PM updates, but I have NEVER put any stock in the refurb store as an accurate indicator of imminent updates. Still, it would be nice to see those 3 GH\z PMs sometime soon!

It's not that they were on the refurb store... it's the massive price drop. Their refurb prices on G5's dropped two or three hundred since last week.

Something's gotta be up...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Torajima
Something's gotta be up...

That's the thing, something's gotta be for weeks now....its just a matter of time and all the current rumors say March (which totally sucks). I'd love to see it sooner.

D

Torajima

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
:D Hah! I think they have gotten use to Motorola all these years of doing nothing. I have concluded if they do nothing so will me and my wallet. Still waiting for the G5 Imac like millions of others. Motorola has taught me patience,patience and more patience.:eek:

G5 iMac? I'd like to see it, but I don't expect it anytime soon. Apple will want to do the Powerbooks first. Can't have a "consumer" machine being more powerful than a "pro" machine...

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I think apple still has a ways to go to catch up with the Intel world,none of the G4s can come close and only the dual G5s are really on equal terms with current software and that is still 2 cpu's vs 1 Intel. same old story the best Software on the worst Hardware(excluding dual G5s)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by Torajima
G5 iMac? I'd like to see it, but I don't expect it anytime soon. Apple will want to do the Powerbooks first. Can't have a "consumer" machine being more powerful than a "pro" machine...

Uh-oh - I can sense this blowing up into a big G5 iMac vs. G5 PB debate! I've seen it before on so many other threads, and it's not pretty... ;)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
All these rumors regarding PowerMac G5 updates have me curious. If I had waited until today to get a PowerMac (assuming that the PowerMacs are in fact updated today) instead of getting an iMac 17" (1.25 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD), how much would I have gained in performance? Let's assume that I would have bought the mid-range or top-of-the-line PowerMac (both dual-processor). Any ideas?

By the way, I'm looking forward to PowerMac updates as much as anyone else here, except I'm not interested in a purchase right now.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
lets just say they dont compare G4 machines with anything, where you have lots of comparisons with G5s vs the dark side running all kinds of apps. I love the looks of imac and i get a kick reading articles about them. never do they show one bench, they talk about big and bigger screens and the great software bundle but never ever focus on that 1 little important item called the cpu. wonder why?

.a

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2001
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
lets just say they dont compare G4 machines with anything ... they talk about big and bigger screens and the great software bundle but never ever focus on that 1 little important item called the cpu. wonder why?

because they are slow ... (though fast enough for a lot of tasks).

comparing an imac 1ghz with my *4years* old dual g4 450mhz:

imac 1ghz average 90 points @ xbench
my pmac dual 450mhz 75 points @ xbench

and inbetween there are FOUR YEARS ... time to make some progess?
.a

btw: i would love to have an 17" imac :) just for browsing the internet and doing some word and excel!

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Hey DHM, we all know you want a G5 iMac (I want one too!), but there's no point in us continually saying that. Anyway this thread is about the G5 tower.

No question Apple is clearing old stock. I suspect there is a lot of old stock to clear, though, and it could take a long time.

You know when folks start using those IBM compilers we are going to see the G5 look a lot better than those Intel processors.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
well it doesnt look like any new G5 towers today though the day is young and in reference to your comment cubist this was my response to wrldwzrd89 asking about performance difference from his 1.25 imac and G5 towers. he would gain a lot from a G5 tower but i wasnt so blunt. As you have stated when G5 software comes on line those G5s will start to strut their stuff.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
That would be nice, and it is a Tuesday, but there have been zero rumors about a Feb 10th roll out of new PM....

For all of Apple secrecy, its very rare that anything gets by with out some sort of leak.

D

No one saw the G4 iBooks coming when they were released.

Torajima

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
USA
Originally posted by wrldwzrd89
All these rumors regarding PowerMac G5 updates have me curious. If I had waited until today to get a PowerMac (assuming that the PowerMacs are in fact updated today) instead of getting an iMac 17" (1.25 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB HD), how much would I have gained in performance? Let's assume that I would have bought the mid-range or top-of-the-line PowerMac (both dual-processor). Any ideas?

Well, the current Dual processor machines are about 4 times faster than your imac.

And they are 30 to 40 times faster than my old G3! This is with real world testing... color correcting 5 minutes of footage on my dual G5 takes about 5 minutes. Same clip takes 3 hours on my G3! :eek:

Bilba

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2004
This is getting harder and harder.....
I had a really good vibe regarding updates today, but ...

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
have to agree with most,
chance of PM upgrades today: very very slim

it would be a very big surprise if there were some updates today
everyone expected them for MWSF,mac 20th anniversary,superbowl.. just a casual tuesday

apple and ibm know what they are doing... and with intel's unimpressing new processors there is big room for surprises this year ...the mhz myth is fading away

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Pismo
No one saw the G4 iBooks coming when they were released.

not entirely true, but in my statement above I didn't say they *awlays* had rumors precede the release, I said it was very rare...

Regardless, it looks like its not going to happen today....

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.