PDA

View Full Version : Virtual PC 6.1.1 Updater

MacRumors
Feb 10, 2004, 01:12 PM
Microsoft has released (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/download/misc/vpc6_1_1.xml&secid=100&ssid=1&flgnosysreq=True) version 6.1.1 of Virtual PC for the Mac.

The new version "addresses security issues and bugs related to running upcoming Windows XP Professional service packs."

Virtual PC 7 (providing G5 support) had previously been announced (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/01/20040107151459.shtml) for release in the first half of 2004.

autrefois
Feb 10, 2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
Microsoft has released (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/download/misc/vpc6_1_1.xml&secid=100&ssid=1&flgnosysreq=True) version 6.1.1 of Virtual PC for the Mac.

The new version "addresses security issues and bugs related to running upcoming Windows XP Processional service packs."

Virtual PC 7 (providing G5 support) had previously been announced (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/01/20040107151459.shtml) for release in the first half of 2004.

So I assume no need to install this if you're using anything other than XP in Virtual PC.

Foxer
Feb 10, 2004, 01:20 PM
Even at home, I can never escape the MS Service Packs. Wish they'd hurry up with G5 support, though.

SilentPanda
Feb 10, 2004, 01:22 PM
I hope VPC 7 comes out soon. I have VPC 5 but it doesn't work for me under Panther for some reason... :(

impierced
Feb 10, 2004, 01:25 PM
Looks like the beginnings of another slow week on the "rumors" front.

york2600
Feb 10, 2004, 01:28 PM
This is a bad sign that VPC 7 isn't going to be out for a while. This fixes problems with XP SP2. That was scheduled to come out Q2 2004. I'd like to think that MS is fixing this for all the users that won't upgrade, but it looks to me like it's going to be a while before VPC 7 comes out.

Wonder Boy
Feb 10, 2004, 01:51 PM
at least MS is releasing new things for mac fans. maybe apple should look into doing the same.

sonicbaz
Feb 10, 2004, 01:58 PM
hehe
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
at least MS is releasing new things for mac fans. maybe apple should look into doing the same.

Peej
Feb 10, 2004, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
[url="http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/download/misc/vpc6_1_1.xml&secid=100&ssid=1&flgnosysreq=True"]
The new version "addresses security issues and bugs related to running upcoming Windows XP Professional service packs."

Whenever they say they're "addressing" something it makes me think of the Honeymooners episode where Norton, reading about how to golf, "addresses" the ball, "Heellllllloooooooooooo, Ball!". Somehow, I think MS isn't too far off from this. Why don't they just "fix" it.

peej:)

Lancetx
Feb 10, 2004, 02:02 PM

Well, Apple just had iLife '04 last month which was a major software release, along with FCE 2.0. This month there have already been updates to Safari and Bluetooth in the first week of the month, plus iPod minis are coming in the next week or so. Seems like they're doing a lot more than M$ to me, so let's not get too silly here. Unless waiting until 2006 for the next OS sounds good to you, I think I'll stick with what Apple's doing with their release timetables rather than what M$ is doing with theirs. ;)

youngr40
Feb 10, 2004, 02:39 PM
Hello All

Keep em coming please, it seems quicker?

But when XP SP2 comes, will it continue to be quicker.

I hope a upgrade from VPC 6 to VPC 7 is cheap, and I hope Apple takes note, starts offering upgrade options for more products.

Localcelebrity
Feb 10, 2004, 02:41 PM
i'm impressed with the level of support the project has seen since they took it over.

Personally i'm really looking forward to 7.0, Connectix started some impressive stuff with 6 and it'll be interesting to see what MS does to improve it

youngr40
Feb 10, 2004, 02:53 PM
I second that

Wonder Boy
Feb 10, 2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Lancetx
Well, Apple just had iLife '04 last month which was a major software release, along with FCE 2.0. This month there have already been updates to Safari and Bluetooth in the first week of the month, plus iPod minis are coming in the next week or so. Seems like they're doing a lot more than M$ to me, so let's not get too silly here. Unless waiting until 2006 for the next OS sounds good to you, I think I'll stick with what Apple's doing with their release timetables rather than what M$ is doing with theirs. ;)

i understand your point. nevertheless, there are plenty of us starving for new hardware. i should have been more specific.

MrMacMan
Feb 10, 2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Localcelebrity
i'm impressed with the level of support the project has seen since they took it over.

Personally i'm really looking forward to 7.0, Connectix started some impressive stuff with 6 and it'll be interesting to see what MS does to improve it

Well understand that 3 months ago VPC 7 had hardware video support... but Yet again they scrapped it because some games had problems.

Arg, until we get a better, FASTER VPC its not worth the upgrade since the versions where they DID have hardware video support (I think it was like 3?)

:mad:

Richter
Feb 10, 2004, 04:17 PM
are there any tips/tricks on gaining better speed?

bousozoku
Feb 10, 2004, 04:55 PM
i understand your point. nevertheless, there are plenty of us starving for new hardware. i should have been more specific.

Perhaps, Apple should introduce virtual hardware to the starving. :D They can probably do that more quickly than getting a manufacturer to dedicate capacity to make new motherboards.

sonofcolin
Feb 10, 2004, 05:30 PM
Give as much RAM as you can to VPC. CPU to max. 16bit color in windows. Use classic theme. 1024x768

VPC 6.1.1 is noticeably fatser than 6.1

It takes time for everyhting to boot, but once it's up and running, it runs ok (on a 1,25 powerbook with over a gig of RAM) IE 6 is actually quite snappy!

Don't bother with a G3.

ZildjianKX
Feb 10, 2004, 06:05 PM
Yawn... just bring out VPC 7 with G5 support.

mactastic
Feb 10, 2004, 07:48 PM
Well I guess I'm gonna do it and hope it's all good. <Crosses fingers>

Richter
Feb 10, 2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by sonofcolin
Give as much RAM as you can to VPC. CPU to max. 16bit color in windows. Use classic theme. 1024x768

VPC 6.1.1 is noticeably fatser than 6.1

It takes time for everyhting to boot, but once it's up and running, it runs ok (on a 1,25 powerbook with over a gig of RAM) IE 6 is actually quite snappy!

Don't bother with a G3. also noticed that when i lowered the page file to the lowest setting (2mb), speed increased.
iMac
768mb
Win2000

scat999999
Feb 11, 2004, 10:33 AM
My wife is forced to stay with Jaguar since she needs to use her printer as an "emulation" printer with VPC.
When I first upgraded my iMac to Panther, I spent hours on the phone with MS VPC support trying to set my printer up as an emulation printer. I ended up having to make my printer a "dedicated" printer and having to close VPC to return the printer to the Mac. Subsequent follow up with the VPC team indicated that was a common problem with Panther.

frenetic
Feb 11, 2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Richter
also noticed that when i lowered the page file to the lowest setting (2mb), speed increased.
iMac
768mb
Win2000

Could you please be a bit more specific about what you mean with "page file settings?"... everything that makes virtual pc better perform I am more than anxious to try out :)

Thanks..

manu chao
Feb 11, 2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by scat999999
My wife is forced to stay with Jaguar since she needs to use her printer as an "emulation" printer with VPC.
When I first upgraded my iMac to Panther, I spent hours on the phone with MS VPC support trying to set my printer up as an emulation printer. I ended up having to make my printer a "dedicated" printer and having to close VPC to return the printer to the Mac. Subsequent follow up with the VPC team indicated that was a common problem with Panther.

That problem was fixed with 10.3.2

Richter
Feb 11, 2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by frenetic
Could you please be a bit more specific about what you mean with "page file settings?"... everything that makes virtual pc better perform I am more than anxious to try out :)

Thanks.. I'm using Win2000

Right click on the "My Computer" icon
"Properties" -> "Advanced" tab -> "Performance Options" -> "Change"
Set the "initial size" & "maximum size" to 2. click "set."

i think it then asks you to restart, agree to it. after it boots, you'll get a prompt (probably only until you run an app) about low virtual memory - just ignore it

Not sure if the following helps, but whenever i install Windows, i ALWAYS do the following:
also, download Tweak UI. Install it by "right clicking -> install" on the tweakui.inf file. You can find the installed app in the Control Panel. In the "General" uncheck everything

Its still slow but at least its "decent" speed

frenetic
Feb 12, 2004, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by Richter
I'm using Win2000

Right click on the "My Computer" icon
"Properties" -> "Advanced" tab -> "Performance Options" -> "Change"
Set the "initial size" & "maximum size" to 2. click "set."

i think it then asks you to restart, agree to it. after it boots, you'll get a prompt (probably only until you run an app) about low virtual memory - just ignore it

Not sure if the following helps, but whenever i install Windows, i ALWAYS do the following:
also, download Tweak UI. Install it by "right clicking -> install" on the tweakui.inf file. You can find the installed app in the Control Panel. In the "General" uncheck everything

Its still slow but at least its "decent" speed

Thanks for the tips! It's more or less similar on Window 98 SE... It does indeed help ... Now it's at least working at a more or less reasonable speed!

Richter
Feb 12, 2004, 03:29 PM
try turning it off in Win98SE, maybe that'll make it even faster