PDA

View Full Version : iPod Mini's... Coming

MacRumors
Feb 10, 2004, 02:28 PM
First stock of iPod Mini's should start appearing in Apple stores on February 16th.

The initial batch of iPod Mini products shipments, however, will be of very limited quantities.

The iPod Mini was introduced (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/01/20040106142543.shtml) at MacWorld San Francisco 2004 in January. Related Link: iPod Mini Photos (http://www.macitynet.it/immagini/visitaconnoi/mwsf2004/ipodminie/index.shtml)

iChan
Feb 10, 2004, 02:34 PM
cool... just waiting for european ones now

iAdam
Feb 10, 2004, 02:34 PM
Hope fully the price goes down to $200 in a few months

anthonymoody
Feb 10, 2004, 02:37 PM
Well, FWIW I ordered mine the second the Apple online store came back up after the mini-iPods were announced, and it's still saying it'll ship on or before the 17th of Feb (as it did when I ordered).

TM

bensisko
Feb 10, 2004, 02:40 PM
If it goes down to $199, I'll get it just so I can use the memory card for my digital camera.

the_mole1314
Feb 10, 2004, 02:44 PM
I can't wait till I try one out. If I'm not mistaken, my Apple people said that the in-ear headphones will be avaiable when the mini comes out. They then had the in-ear headphones in last week. Could the mini's be in stock already, but not on sale? If I'm not mistaken, that's what happened with the iBook G4s.

1macker1
Feb 10, 2004, 02:49 PM
If the price goes down to 199, i'll get one. But other than that, i'd have to save for the 15G...which is exactly what apple wants.

nagromme
Feb 10, 2004, 02:50 PM
You can have $60 off an iPod mini by Feb 14. But it looks I won't have had the chance to see one before then! I'm pretty sure it's the one I want, and $60 off makes the price right--but I like to see something in person first! And I'm curious about the next revision of the regular iPod. What to do??

($60 off because $30 engraving is free through March, and orders $299+ get $30 off through Val. Day. An iPod mini plus Dock is close to $299, and I'd add a small iTMS gift certificate to myself to cross the line :) So, since I'd want engraving and a dock anyway, this Val. Day deal is tempting.)

DGFan
Feb 10, 2004, 02:57 PM
Cool!

Now how about announcing something NEW Apple?? We're waiting!!!! The holes in your product line are still there!!!

anthonymoody
Originally posted by bensisko
If it goes down to $199, I'll get it just so I can use the memory card for my digital camera.

Huh? There's no memory card in the iPod or iPod mini.

TM

SilentPanda
Maybe they could do some prize with mini-ipods and mini M&M's... :)

Gravity
Feb 10, 2004, 03:03 PM
My wife ordered me one on January 17th.

From CDW.com

Any chance a third-party reseller will ship when Apple does?

CrackedButter
Feb 10, 2004, 03:06 PM
Woopie doo, i don't expect price cuts either on a 4 month old peice of equipment once it hits european shores while the yanks loard it up with their wonderful pricing.

Thankfully i'm waiting till September and seeing what happens and then i'll make a purchase while i'm on holiday to Japan, even THEY are cheaper than in the UK as well!

I did a price check and a 15GB ipod is 160 over there...i cannot imagine what the mini will be but thats the only exciting thing about it so far other than it comes in blue. :)

I might be in the market for a new PB as well and the price again in Japan ... gah!

Gizmotoy
Feb 10, 2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by anthonymoody
Huh? There's no memory card in the iPod or iPod mini.

TM

According to sources quoted here the iPod mini uses a Hitachi CompactFlash hard drive. These drives usually sell on the open market for more money than the mini costs. Therefore, those with high-end digital cameras that support this particular kind of CompactFlash may be able to get quite a deal by buying a mini and ripping out the flash card.

nagromme
Feb 10, 2004, 03:10 PM
Right, amazingly enough these drives are CF-sized and -shaped. They may not be flash RAM inside, but they are apparently pin-compatible and may be used to replace a flash card.

I've seen the other player that uses these dissected. The HD does indeed look like a flash card! And people are indeed butchering those to get the drive out.

unc32
Feb 10, 2004, 03:12 PM
what is this $30 off deal for valentines day? how do i redeem it?

Stella
Feb 10, 2004, 03:17 PM
The in ear headphones are already on sale... at least here in Toronto and have been for around two or more weeks...

Originally posted by the_mole1314
I can't wait till I try one out. If I'm not mistaken, my Apple people said that the in-ear headphones will be avaiable when the mini comes out. They then had the in-ear headphones in last week. Could the mini's be in stock already, but not on sale? If I'm not mistaken, that's what happened with the iBook G4s.

SilentPanda
Feb 10, 2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by nagromme
($60 off because $30 engraving is free through March, and orders $299+ get $30 off through Val. Day. An iPod mini plus Dock is close to $299, and I'd add a small iTMS gift certificate to myself to cross the line :) So, since I'd want engraving and a dock anyway, this Val. Day deal is tempting.)

I don't really know that that's $60 "off"....

But... I've questioned getting an iPod engraved... I'm sure it limits the resell value of it... I don't know if I'd want to buy a used iPod that said, "Love Sally" or something on the back of it... the missus might get mad... ;)

arn
Feb 10, 2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Gimzotoy
According to sources quoted here the iPod mini uses a Hitachi CompactFlash hard drive. These drives usually sell on the open market for more money than the mini costs. Therefore, those with high-end digital cameras that support this particular kind of CompactFlash may be able to get quite a deal by buying a mini and ripping out the flash card.

It is a Hitachi _Microdrive_. Whether or not it actually has the CompactFlash interface isn't really clear.

arn

Wonder Boy
Feb 10, 2004, 03:30 PM
never fear. if they sell out, you could pick up an orignal sized ipod with almost 4x the storage for 50$ more.

gwuMACaddict
Feb 10, 2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by SilentPanda
I've questioned getting an iPod engraved... I'm sure it limits the resell value of it... I don't know if I'd want to buy a used iPod that said, "Love Sally" or something on the back of it... the missus might get mad... ;)

i could touch that up with a dremmel tool... ;)

no worries! besides, get a better deal on it! :D

this is how college kids think... we're all BROKE

anthonymoody
Feb 10, 2004, 03:47 PM
I don't really know that that's $60 "off"....

But... I've questioned getting an iPod engraved... I'm sure it limits the resell value of it... I don't know if I'd want to buy a used iPod that said, "Love Sally" or something on the back of it... the missus might get mad... ;)

Exactly. The prospect of using the hard drive in a digital camera has been circulating since the minis were announced, but it's not yet known if it would work.

Whether this canibalization process works or not, there is no memory card in the iPod or iPod mini.

TM

Edot
Feb 10, 2004, 03:50 PM

I really don't think this is the case. This can be found in the tech specs section of the iPod mini site on Apples webpage.

Skip protection Up to 25 minutes

If it was a flash chip then this would be infinite because of zero load time. The mini seems to use the same 32Mb buffer that the iPod does.

sw1tcher
Feb 10, 2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by nagromme
You can have $60 off an iPod mini by Feb 14. But it looks I won't have had the chance to see one before then! I'm pretty sure it's the one I want, and $60 off makes the price right--but I like to see something in person first! And I'm curious about the next revision of the regular iPod. What to do??

Tell me more about this $30 off deal through valentines. How do I find it? Where can I redeem it? Can I combine this with the Academic discount?

Curious minds want to know.

The Cheat
Feb 10, 2004, 03:54 PM

A more likely (and less insane) possibility is that he would simply use the Belkin Media Reader to transfer files from his camera's memory card to the iPod's hard drive.

SilentPanda
Feb 10, 2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by sw1tcher
Tell me more about this $30 off deal through valentines. How do I find it? Where can I redeem it? Can I combine this with the Academic discount?

You cannot combine it with the academic discount.

the_dalex
Feb 10, 2004, 04:00 PM
I would be very surprised if the hard drive came in Compact Flash format. Why create a CF slot and attach a CF interface to the drive when it isn't removable? That would just incur extra costs and increase the space needed.

sw1tcher
Feb 10, 2004, 04:01 PM

Okay. But how do I go about getting this $30 off deal?

arn
Feb 10, 2004, 04:03 PM
Okay. But how do I go about getting this $30 off deal?

check the top-right box on the front page of macrumors.com

arn

virividox
Feb 10, 2004, 04:18 PM
i want an ipod mini :(

SiliconAddict
Feb 10, 2004, 04:24 PM
*yawns* Wake me when they have something I care about. Namely a 60GB or 80GB iPod. If the iPod mini's get you going more power to you but right now all I care about is more storage so I can store all 30GB of songs, have plenty of room for expansion, and keep my data files on the thing. (That alone takes about about 7GB of space.)

dho
Feb 10, 2004, 04:25 PM
darn, thatle be just a few days to late to get for my dad as a birthday present :(. Darn Il just have to get him something else

Beck446
Feb 10, 2004, 04:28 PM
Damn, I thought these were already shipping!?

How about this for revolutionary thinking: Apple holds off releasing anything for a month (to get back on track) and then, whenever they release anything, they can ship it!

sw1tcher
Feb 10, 2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by arn
check the top-right box on the front page of macrumors.com

arn

the coupon code doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions?

arn
Feb 10, 2004, 04:47 PM
the coupon code doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions?

Try using this link

http://www.apple.com/storenews/currentissue/

arn

QCassidy352
Feb 10, 2004, 04:59 PM

Wrong. You *can* combine it with the edu discount. I don't know if it's a generally applicable offer, or only for people who have bought through the edu store in the past. But I got an e mail from the edu store with a $30 discount code different from the one that applies to the general store.

Anyway, re: the minis - they're just not that small. Look at the one on the guy's arm in the pictures linked to off the front page. As I have said many times already, regardless of % volume etc. etc., the *practical* difference between an ipod and an ipod mini is zero. Both are easily small enough to fit in a pocket yet neither is small enough to be truly unobtrusive when exercising. In essence, there is nowhere you could take the mini that you could not take the regular, and that is why I don't understand them (the minis) at all.

DangerDiabolik
Feb 10, 2004, 05:12 PM
I have a feeling these minis are gonna bomb.

iMook
Feb 10, 2004, 05:15 PM
Actually, the idea that the iPod hard drive is a CompactFlash card is absolutely NOT insane. The 4GB Creative MuVo2 has been dissected before (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1023&message=7308713) , and to the delight of high-res camera buffs, its hard drive was found to simply be a Hitachi 4GB HDD CF card. Can it be UNFATHOMABLE that the iPod Mini uses the same technology? Cornice is the only company which makes non-CF 1-inch microHDDs.

The iPod mini most likely DOES have a CompactFlash microdrive. When you hear "CompactFlash" or "memory card", don't immediately exclude hard drives. Remember, microdrives were CF cards LONG before they became nonremovable media.

"If it's a CompactFlash card, why make it nonremovable?" some of you ask. Consider this: if the media was made removable, could Apple and Creative still sell their players substantially below the retail price of a CF card with the same capacity? No. Making the media nonremovable and hidden away takes away much of the incentive to buy an iPod mini or MuVo2.

Also, as an added incentive not to rip out the 4GB Microdrive at the mini's heart, Apple could have very simply soldered the connecting pins. Easy as that. It makes drive removal that much more difficult.

sw1tcher
Feb 10, 2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by QCassidy352
Wrong. You *can* combine it with the edu discount. I don't know if it's a generally applicable offer, or only for people who have bought through the edu store in the past. But I got an e mail from the edu store with a $30 discount code different from the one that applies to the general store.

Anyway, re: the minis - they're just not that small. Look at the one on the guy's arm in the pictures linked to off the front page. As I have said many times already, regardless of % volume etc. etc., the *practical* difference between an ipod and an ipod mini is zero. Both are easily small enough to fit in a pocket yet neither is small enough to be truly unobtrusive when exercising. In essence, there is nowhere you could take the mini that you could not take the regular, and that is why I don't understand them (the minis) at all.

If you're not planning on using the code, would you care to share it with me?

sw1tcher
Feb 10, 2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by DangerDiabolik

You left out "be da," as in "these minis are gonna be da bomb." ;)

sushi
Feb 10, 2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by dho
darn, thatle be just a few days to late to get for my dad as a birthday present :(. Darn Il just have to get him something else
Heck no.

Just be a little creative.

Get a card and put a picture of a mini iPod inside with the words coupon redeeemable on x date.

...or something like that.

Don't let a few days deter you from a present that you want to give. Better to get him something he'll really value and use than a substitute. Trust me, he'll understand and appreciate it.

Sushi

MacWhispers
Feb 10, 2004, 05:59 PM
FYI... The Hitachi drive in the iPod mini is not packaged in the CompactFlash housing. It's a raw drive integrated onto a mount on the Mini's logic board. So, tearing open a Mini to get out the HDD for another use would not yield anything but a non-functional raw HDD unit.

sushi
Feb 10, 2004, 06:02 PM
And that, is why you don't see the "practical" difference between the two.

The mini iPods are going to sell like hotcakes in places like Japan were small size, light weight and looks sell.

A regular iPod is way too big to put in a pocket of a business shirt/suit/etc. The min iPod will do much better in that regard.

...ever wonder why flash based players having only 256MB memory costing more than the iPod sell over here in Japan? Size and weight matters to some.

Sushi

Bear
Feb 10, 2004, 06:20 PM
According to sources quoted here the iPod mini uses a Hitachi CompactFlash hard drive. These drives usually sell on the open market for more money than the mini costs. ... MicroDrive not CompactFlash. Yes Hitachi does sell this MicroDrive in a CompactFlash formfactor, however, I suspect this is the bare drive wired into the electronics in the iPod mini.

Go ahead open one up, you'll just kill the mini for no reason.

Makosuke
Feb 10, 2004, 06:22 PM
Listen to sushi (that didn't sound right...).

Personally, at the current price point, I'd probably rather have a regular than a mini, since the size doesn't make a difference to me. But I'm not the target market.

In Japan (and some specific markets with similar taste), smaller=better, and fashion sells. The mini is smaller, therefore it is better. Period. And it has colors, making it a more effective fashion statement, therefore it is better. Period.

Call it more money than sense if you want, but the end result is I'm willing to be the'll be a huge market for the mini in Japan. Sony should be very, very scared, since it's similar in size to a minidisc player (perhaps not coincidentally, about the size of a cellphone), but has way, way more capacity.

stingerman
Feb 10, 2004, 06:22 PM

They are perfect for athletic types. The regular iPod is not. My mate is a runner and she wants the Mini and not the regular iPod. 4GB of songs is more than enough for her daily runs. The girls, who happen to be much bigger spenders on Music, love the Mini's, their finish and their colors. I expect many girls will buy more than one to match their various outfits.

rdowns
Feb 10, 2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by unc32
what is this $30 off deal for valentines day? how do i redeem it?

Apple Store
$30 off $299 or more until Feb 14th. Coupon Code: KQYUV9U97W

zellin
Feb 10, 2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by The Cheat
A more likely (and less insane) possibility is that he would simply use the Belkin Media Reader to transfer files from his camera's memory card to the iPod's hard drive.
Actually that would be more insane.
iPod mini is not compatible with the Media Reader or the Mic.

jimsowden
Feb 10, 2004, 07:18 PM
It seems like apple pays close attention to small destails, like how os x show different icons for the second and third gen ipods when docked. My question is wether the ipod mini's icon is already in Panther "I.E. could we have seen it before it was released like the wireless mice and keyboards" and wether it knows the color. Any body seen one of these bad boys hooked up to a mac?

comrade
Feb 10, 2004, 07:39 PM
anyone know if best buy is going to carry the minis? And more specfically, if they will have them around this time?

john123
Feb 10, 2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by stingerman
The girls, who happen to be much bigger spenders on Music, love the Mini's, their finish and their colors. I expect many girls will buy more than one to match their various outfits.

This is consumer disposable culture at its finest...

AirUncleP
Feb 10, 2004, 07:55 PM
The minis will come out.
I will drive to the Apple Store to check them out.
I will STILL want an iPod.
Thank for listening.

Koodauw
Feb 10, 2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by comrade
anyone know if best buy is going to carry the minis? And more specfically, if they will have them around this time?

Bestbuy.com is selling them at the moment. I placed my order from them a few days ago as they said they it would arrive between Feb. 16th and the 21st. I chose the standard free shipping (2-5 days I think). I don't know if the actuall stores will have them as soon though. Apple currently says 2-4 weeks for the iPod Mini to ship. I didn't want to wait that long so I thought I would take my chances with ordering from the Big Yellow Price Tag. Hope I come out ok.

jettredmont
Feb 10, 2004, 08:20 PM

But ... there is a BIG difference between a drive which is used in CF form and a CF drive. The big difference? The physical slot, and the CF support chip.

If the iPod mini's don't use the CF interface internally (it would strike me as a bit odd if they did ... although that would give Apple more flexibility regarding supplier I suppose), then you won't be able to just rip the drive out and use it in your camera.

And, if you have the ability/expertise to graft a CF physical and electronic interface onto a bare hard drive ... well, you shouldn't need to be worrying about the couple hundred bucks to just buy the CF version of the drive to begin with, right? :)

StarManta
Feb 10, 2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by iMook
"If it's a CompactFlash card, why make it nonremovable?" some of you ask. Consider this: if the media was made removable, could Apple and Creative still sell their players substantially below the retail price of a CF card with the same capacity? No. Making the media nonremovable and hidden away takes away much of the incentive to buy an iPod mini or MuVo2.

Also, as an added incentive not to rip out the 4GB Microdrive at the mini's heart, Apple could have very simply soldered the connecting pins. Easy as that. It makes drive removal that much more difficult.

It's not so important that it "takes away much of the incentive to buy an iPod mini or MuVo2" as that it increases the incentive to buy a "real" storage card from whatever company Apple licensed the hard drive from.

Messiatosh
Feb 10, 2004, 08:42 PM
You see, I am buying the mini not as a fashion statement but as a workout accessory. I run 45 minutes a day and lift 5 days a week, I want one of these because of its convenience not its style (though some of that never hurts). I dont understand what is so bad about our consumerism in this culture sometimes, I think it just drives the economy and in this case...puts money in the pockets of innovators. Apple takes emotionless steel, rock, and elements and molds them into useful and unique products that make our lives mor enejoyable.

It isnt all mindless buying and consuming...I think the mini may be more practical than you think.

AND I CANT WAIT FOR MINE!!! Blue, laser engraved, and shipping "on or before 2-17-04"!!! Hopefully I get it before anyone else because I ordered the minute of introduction. Armband and mini, perfect for running! Excited as ever, thanks for the teaser macrumors, I almost forgot I had the mini on order!:D

john123
Feb 10, 2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Messiatosh
You see, I am buying the mini not as a fashion statement but as a workout accessory. I run 45 minutes a day and lift 5 days a week,

Dude, you're overtraining...that's counterproductive...

nagromme
Feb 10, 2004, 09:14 PM
People have taken out the Hitachi microdrive from Nomad Muvo's for use in cameras. I saw a picture of it someplace. Maybe the iPod uses a different variation on a microdrive. But I can think of one GOOD reason Apple might use a CF-format microdrive: maybe that's all there is! :)

(People hoping for the iPod mini to bomb are in for a disapointment. They've been top sellers at Apple.com and Amazone for weeks, and they aren't even shipping yet!)

Oh... and regarding the free engraving (normally $30). That's worth someting to me from an anti-theft/loss perspective. I'd put my web address on the back. If it ever turns up missing, someone is bound to visit the address and see my personal message about getting my iPod back. To steal an engraved iPod means you must deface it--so it better be for you because it will be harder to sell. (But I think loss is more likely than theft anyway. I want it to be easy to return to me. It will have business files on it--encypted backups plus my Address Book--not just music!)

Messiatosh
Feb 10, 2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by john123

Not if done properly, it is possible to workout and run everyday depending on the exercise and desired fitness goal. I'm not doing anything crazy. Hey, I'm 18 years old...need to get rid of some energy as it is, hehe.

the_mole1314
Feb 10, 2004, 09:40 PM
Not if done properly, it is possible to workout and run everyday depending on the exercise and desired fitness goal. I'm not doing anything crazy. Hey, I'm 18 years old...need to get rid of some energy as it is, hehe.

I'll take some of yours. I need some energy to pass my classes. :p

I really think that the mini will do better than I thought, but Apple needs to get it competively priced soon, as Jobs said, "The rest of the percent is the other hard drive players that the iPod is in the process of eliminating." :)

Earendil
Feb 10, 2004, 09:46 PM

(OT)
He's right. Since when was working out and running 5 times a day bad for you?
Any kid playing a sport "works out" 5 times a week, couple hours a day.

Earendil - Started playing soccer 11 years ago, during season runs 5 days a week. Off season just mountain bikes :D

Fukui
Feb 10, 2004, 09:54 PM

Really? I lift 4 days a week and run 30 min...
In highschool I did even more. I don't think its overtraining as long as you get enough sleep and nutrition.

mmm, sleep...:)

Earendil
Feb 10, 2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Fukui
Really? I lift 4 days a week and run 30 min...
In highschool I did even more. I don't think its overtraining as long as you get enough sleep and nutrition.

mmm, sleep...:)

Right. There is a point at which one can work, we aren't saying there isn't. But America as a whole isn't fighting to get people to work out less due to health reasons :(

edit: corrected horrible grammar problems...

kirk26
Feb 10, 2004, 10:19 PM
You see, I am buying the mini not as a fashion statement but as a workout accessory. I run 45 minutes a day and lift 5 days a week.

Slacker!:p

DangerDiabolik
Feb 10, 2004, 10:25 PM
ipod mini = cube

m2uk
Feb 10, 2004, 10:29 PM
Can someone explain...

If you have the IPOD mini on your arm and you are running, what happens to all the slack cable that must come out of the unit for headphones. Don't they get in the way ? A true wireless approach would be very nice (I wonder if that is Rev B,, even as an option for the times where Bluetooth audio is OK qualitywise whilst you are dodging buses and cyclists using the pavement?

Messiatosh
Feb 10, 2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by m2uk
Can someone explain...

If you have the IPOD mini on your arm and you are running, what happens to all the slack cable that must come out of the unit for headphones. Don't they get in the way ?

You could always buy a pair of cheap "workout" headphones that has a short cable.

john123
Feb 10, 2004, 10:42 PM

Running every day isn't a problem. Depending on your pace, it's either going to be aerobic or anaerobic, but either way, it's good for your cardiovascular system (assuming you're in good health).

It's the lifting 5x a week that's the concern. I used to do that, too. Never really believed what I thought was "hype" about overtraining. I mean, who'd believe that less is more, eh?

But it's so true...unless you are segmenting your lifting regimen REALLY well, I don't see how you can lift 5x a week. You doing abs on its own day? Separating shoulders from everything else? That plus legs; chest/triceps; back/biceps is about the the only way I can figure you can get to 5x a week without serious overtraining...but even on that schedule, you're going to get some duplicative work as it's impossible to totally isolate your lifting to one muscle group...

Fukui
Feb 10, 2004, 10:44 PM
ipod mini = cube
WRONG!! ipod mini = rectangle!!!

john123
Feb 10, 2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Earendil
(OT)
He's right. Since when was working out and running 5 times a day bad for you?
Any kid playing a sport "works out" 5 times a week, couple hours a day.

Earendil - Started playing soccer 11 years ago, during season runs 5 days a week. Off season just mountain bikes :D

Playing a sport is different from lifting. As I stated in the last post, it's not the cardio that's the problem. It's the lifting.

What you do to your body in the process of lifting is **VERY** different from what you do to it in the process of athletics.

Simply put, when you lift, you are not building muscle. That is a common misconception. You are actually breaking it down. Your body then proceeds to build it back up, only stronger than it was before (assuming that you are receiving proper nutrition to do so, the principal ingredients being protein and water).

When you use the same muscle groups in *intense* activity like lifting over and over, you don't give the muscles time for the regrowth process, thereby stunting their development from what you could achieve by lifting less.

Beginners can get away with this very well, but they soon find that their gains "plateau." Following a better regimen can help get you past this plateau. Professional weightlifters and bodybuilders can get away with doing more as well, but that's due to the exceptional training that they have given their bodies.

Most people who are "in the middle" -- gymgoers, recreational athletes, high school and college athletes -- are susceptible to overtraining.

There's a wealth of literature on this subject that can explain it all in a lot more detail or clarity than I can. But it's the truth...

EDIT: On the "sleep and nutrition" issues: both are absolutely critical, but not sufficient to prevent overtraining. They merely help to minimize it, and are instrumental in muscle development. L-glutamine is said to be a supplement that helps with OT as well, but I'm not a chemist or a biologist so I don't feel qualified to comment on its efficacy or lack thereof.

Fukui
Feb 10, 2004, 10:52 PM
When you use the same muscle groups in *intense* activity like lifting over and over, you don't give the muscles time for the regrowth process, thereby stunting their development from what you could achieve by lifting less.

Right, thats why:

monday - biceps and shoulders.
tuesday - chest and triceps
wedsday - back and stomach
thursday - legs and calfs forearms (yes forearms!)

By the time the next week comes around to each exercise, each muscle group has had 1 week to recover.

hobbes3113
Feb 10, 2004, 11:14 PM
Wow, just in time for Valentines Day, and in high quantities to boot. Maybe I will take my sweetheart to the Apple store today so she can pick one out...
:confused:

Sayhey
Feb 10, 2004, 11:21 PM
I took my 17 year old daughter down to the Burlingame store last weekend to put in an order for a green iPod mini. She saved the money and is very excited about it. Now I hope there is enough on the 16th or I'm going to be living with a very grumpy teenager.

john123
Feb 10, 2004, 11:24 PM
Right, thats why:

By the time the next week comes around to each exercise, each muscle group has had 1 week to recover.

In theory that would be great. In practice, as I mentioned earlier, it is nearly impossible to restrict your exercises to affecting a single muscle group...there tends to be spillover.

The way you've grouped yours together is different from what I've always been taught. Back and biceps go hand-in-hand in my experience. Seated rows, for example, give both a good workout.

Fukui
Feb 10, 2004, 11:46 PM
Seated rows, for example, give both a good workout.
Yea, thats why bicep and shoulders; I mean shoudlers and shoulder blades (upper back).

I like to excersize my lower back too which is with stomach (on same day together).

I agree that one can overwork and spill over, you just have to know when is enough, and what machines/free weights to use, working out every day and stopping on the w/k end is fine for me (I sleep 8-9 hours (yes!) and take afternoon 1hr naps), by the time the next week comes around none of my muscles are sore again. You just need to create the environment that is conductive to quick recovery...vitamin supplements, protein intake (I use soy powder), drink lots and lots of water...and most importantly lots of sleep.

I used to take creatine, but that stuff freaks me out...

chubad
Feb 11, 2004, 12:26 AM

You could always read the first page of this site on the upper right hand side.:rolleyes:

$30 off $299 or more until Feb 14th. Coupon Code: KQYUV9U97W
_

john123
Feb 11, 2004, 12:40 AM
Yea, thats why bicep and shoulders; I mean shoudlers and shoulder blades (upper back).

I like to excersize my lower back too which is with stomach (on same day together).

I agree that one can overwork and spill over, you just have to know when is enough, and what machines/free weights to use, working out every day and stopping on the w/k end is fine for me (I sleep 8-9 hours (yes!) and take afternoon 1hr naps), by the time the next week comes around none of my muscles are sore again. You just need to create the environment that is conductive to quick recovery...vitamin supplements, protein intake (I use soy powder), drink lots and lots of water...and most importantly lots of sleep.

I used to take creatine, but that stuff freaks me out...

Soy protein's OK, but I prefer whey...it's absorbed faster. Pretty cheap, too -- shop around and you can get a 5lb tub for just a bit over $20.

Creatine doesn't freak me out. I've taken it over the last several years or so and, other than the fact that it irritates my stomach a bit (especially in the loading phase), haven't had any side effects. I don't take it when I'm in a cutting phase (like I am now) as the two are pretty counterproductive.

Water's the #1 supplement, hands-down. A lot of people consider creatine, or even andro and other prohormones, before they take a step that would be better: just drinking more water. That goes double for people that are taking creatine (which adds water to muscles), or for people using a caffeine-based weight loss supplement (caffeine is a diuretic).

- Fitness John

Fukui
Feb 11, 2004, 12:56 AM
Soy protein's OK, but I prefer whey...it's absorbed faster. Pretty cheap, too -- shop around and you can get a 5lb tub for just a bit over $20.

Soy is way way more expensive, but it contains all 8 essential amino acids in near equal amounts IFAIR...and genistein/isoflavones wich may help lower LDL, cancer, heart disease, bone loss etc...not to mention antioxidants. I don't eat meat, so I gotta get it from somewhere, (yes a vegetarian with muscles....IT IS POSSIBLE) and whey for me doesn't cut it becuase it it has varying levels of proteins/aminos, and is like some soy products highly processed, whereas the more expensive soy product that I managed to find is as little processed (it has to be processed some or its indigestible) so as to retain the benificial contents...

Anyways, yea I've actually gained alot from using creatine, but I just hear "those stories" of ripped muscles and there hasn't been any long term (tens of years) study on it...not to mention it also upsets my stomach....oh well...:)

john123
Feb 11, 2004, 01:09 AM
Soy is way way more expensive, but it contains all 8 essential amino acids in near equal amounts IFAIR...and genistein/isoflavones wich may help lower LDL, cancer, heart disease, bone loss etc...not to mention antioxidants. I don't eat meat, so I gotta get it from somewhere, (yes a vegetarian with muscles....IT IS POSSIBLE) and whey for me doesn't cut it becuase it it has varying levels of proteins/aminos, and is like some soy products highly processed, whereas the more expensive soy product that I managed to find is as little processed (it has to be processed some or its indigestible) so as to retain the benificial contents...

Anyways, yea I've actually gained alot from using creatine, but I just hear "those stories" of ripped muscles and there hasn't been any long term (tens of years) study on it...not to mention it also upsets my stomach....oh well...:)

A lot of people seem to be switching to protein blends...I've noticed what seems to be an increasing number of products that put whey, soy, and casein all in one.

Especially since you don't eat meat, soy's a good choice for all around diet protein.

Out of curiosity -- what soy product do you use?

(I apologize to everyone who cares about iPods and not fitness -- we have unintentially hijacked this thread...)

Fukui
Feb 11, 2004, 01:18 AM
A lot of people seem to be switching to protein blends...I've noticed what seems to be an increasing number of products that put whey, soy, and casein all in one.

Especially since you don't eat meat, soy's a good choice for all around diet protein.

Out of curiosity -- what soy product do you use?
Its called spirutein. Heard of it?

john123
Feb 11, 2004, 01:42 AM
Its called spirutein. Heard of it?

No, I haven't...although I just googled it. Nutritionally at least, it seems to be good stuff.

NicoMan
Feb 11, 2004, 03:14 AM
(I apologize to everyone who cares about iPods and not fitness -- we have unintentially hijacked this thread...)

I was going to say something about that, but I decided not to and I kept on reading... I have to say I am amazed at the amount of thought you guys are putting into this. I can't remember how old john123 is (I'm sure he's mentioned it before), but Fukui you seem a bit young for that (Sorry if that sounds patronizing, but that's not the intent)...

Oh well

JDOG_
Feb 11, 2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by CrackedButter
Woopie doo, i don't expect price cuts either on a 4 month old peice of equipment once it hits european shores while the yanks loard it up with their wonderful pricing.

Thankfully i'm waiting till September and seeing what happens and then i'll make a purchase while i'm on holiday to Japan, even THEY are cheaper than in the UK as well!

Well everything is cheaper than in the U.K. mate. I'm over here for school and can't imagine spending $40 on a 25-CD-R spindle. Everything over here is the same price as dollars but in 's...so its twice as much...stinking dollar!

In regards to people waiting for a price drop--don't hold your breath. If you've looked at Apple's online store the iPod mInI's been the top seller for weeks...you just don't drop the price on something selling well!

teetoo
Feb 11, 2004, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by Beck446
How about this for revolutionary thinking: Apple holds off releasing anything for a month (to get back on track) and then, whenever they release anything, they can ship it!

exactly, or perhaps they like to give people a bit more time to save up the difference between what things should cost and the actual price apple knocks stuff out at.

jrober
Feb 11, 2004, 05:28 AM
Earlier someone said these are gonna bomb. I'm not so sure - I've got friends in NY on Monday going to buy two for me and my wife on Monday - storage, size & coolness factor making the choice for us.

So does anyone have advice on how to guarrantee getting them on Monday at the Apple store Soho My friends leave to come back that evening.

Any nice Apple Soho employees care to help.

Finally viva la $: exchange rate slightly redresses the UK price difference.

Supa_Fly
Feb 11, 2004, 05:52 AM
yes a vegetarian with muscles....IT IS POSSIBLE Sure if Frank Zane did it way back in the late '70s with a better physique than Arnold (can't be bothered to spell his last name) to beat him at a Mr. Olympia contest then sure it'll work for anyone. Personally I cannot see it happening, without supplements.

Whey (eating her curds & Whey) is pretty nice includes isoflavones if its an isolate source, doesn't bloat your tummy, and is THE highest bioavailable source of protein.

Soy - not sure where I heard or read it but the reason mostly females take it is because it helps regulate estrogen, but adds it significantly in men??????

iPod mini, going over to New York in late February to buy one!! Also does anyone know of any DV Camcorders with Firewire that can use the iPod as storage for video directly thru the Firewire cable??

pkradd
Feb 11, 2004, 06:49 AM
Those waiting for a price reduction soon will have a long wait. Apple will sell all they can make at the current price. Perhaps by next Holiday season we'll see a price reduction. Perhaps.

Also, using the term CompactFlash for a hard driver is wrong. Only solid-state devices are called CompactFlash. It's Apples and Oranges.:)

neon
Feb 11, 2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by jrober
Earlier someone said these are gonna bomb. I'm not so sure - I've got friends in NY on Monday going to buy two for me and my wife on Monday - storage, size & coolness factor making the choice for us.

So does anyone have advice on how to guarrantee getting them on Monday at the Apple store Soho My friends leave to come back that evening.

Any nice Apple Soho employees care to help.

Finally viva la $: exchange rate slightly redresses the UK price difference.

may i ask if you know the warranty and such is good over here on a product bought in the US?
will your friends have to pay tax at customs on arrival back here?

ie, when all is said and done what will you have paid in ?

appalling spelling

jocknerd
Feb 11, 2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Prom1
Sure if Frank Zane did it way back in the late '70s with a better physique than Arnold (can't be bothered to spell his last name) to beat him at a Mr. Olympia contest then sure it'll work for anyone. Personally I cannot see it happening, without supplements.

Frank Zane never beat Arnold. Arnold finished runnerup in 1969 to Sergio Oliva then won from 1970-1975. He retired and came out of retirement in 1980 to win again.

I always admired Frank Zane. I wanted to look like him. He was not a large man but had an incredible physique. But there is no way he could have ever beaten Arnold. Big men always win Mr. Olympia. And Arnold was a big man at 6'2" 250lbs in competition. Small by today's standards but big then. I don't think Frank Zane ever competed at more than 200lbs.

See the <a href="http://www.ifbb.com/contestresults/mrolympia/">history of Mr. Olympia </a>.

jocknerd
Feb 11, 2004, 07:30 AM
Right, thats why:

Excellent recommendations. At most you should train a bodypart twice a week and only one of those times should it be heavy lifting.

I used to work one bodypart a day. I'm too lazy to get in two. Didn't want to spend more than an hour in the gym.

The only time I tried anything differently was when I was using a strength program designed by Virginia Tech's strength coach. I made some amazing gains in three months. Unfortunately, it happened at a time I was out of work and eventually I got another job.

Right now, I'm trying to get remotivated to work out at home. Its hard to do with 11 month old twins. Not much time for working out. But I'm trying to get my motivation back. I've lost a lot of size in the last year, so thats one thing that is helping my motivation. I've also dropped 25 lbs. I actually feel better but I'd like to pack the muscle back on and keep my weight where it is this time.

gekko513
Feb 11, 2004, 08:16 AM

I got one, probably because I've been such a great Apple customer lately (bought PowerBook and eMac) , but since I'm in Norway i get just $20 off, and a 15GB iPod is $321 to begin with ... typical ... but hey, I'm actually stunned that we get these coupons and stuff in Norway at all.

Spagolli94
Feb 11, 2004, 09:05 AM
You left out "be da," as in "these minis are gonna be da bomb." ;)

I thought the same thing at first. I thought, "who wouldn't spend $50 more and get the 15GB model?"

People like my girlfriend, that's who...

I asked her which one she wanted. She only has a few hundred songs and the main thing she wants this for is jogging and going to the gym. So, to her, the iPod's dimensions are more important than the internal storage. And, it actually cost less, too.

Think about it... It's been happening for years. People pay more for smaller devices, even if they don't match up, internally. Take laptops, for example. Granted, it's a little like apples to oranges as iPods are both portable, where as a laptop and desktop are totally different... But you get my point.

And unlike most small devices, the mini is acutally cheaper!

Granted, I still wish they could have released it for $199, but I'll be buying one anyway. And so will a bunch of other people. Then in 6 months, after they milk that price point for all it's worth, they will drop the price to $199 and go after the rest of the masses who were willing to wait for a better deal. Sounds like smart marketing to me.

TranceClubMusic
Feb 11, 2004, 09:05 AM
Water's the #1 supplement, hands-down. A lot of people consider creatine, or even andro and other prohormones, before they take a step that would be better: just drinking more water.
- Fitness John

Na, forget all that nonsense - Just use some Clebuterol, Anadrol, Sust 250, Newbain, Growth Hormones, GHB and and a couple of bumps - your all set! :cool: :D

frankly
Feb 11, 2004, 09:42 AM

And we will be happy to remind you of this post when they don't.

Later, Frank

frankly
Feb 11, 2004, 09:48 AM
ipod mini = cube

DangerDiabolik = clueless

frankly
Feb 11, 2004, 09:50 AM
Running every day isn't a problem. Depending on your pace, it's either going to be aerobic or anaerobic, but either way, it's good for your cardiovascular system (assuming you're in good health).

It's the lifting 5x a week that's the concern. I used to do that, too. Never really believed what I thought was "hype" about overtraining. I mean, who'd believe that less is more, eh?

But it's so true...unless you are segmenting your lifting regimen REALLY well, I don't see how you can lift 5x a week. You doing abs on its own day? Separating shoulders from everything else? That plus legs; chest/triceps; back/biceps is about the the only way I can figure you can get to 5x a week without serious overtraining...but even on that schedule, you're going to get some duplicative work as it's impossible to totally isolate your lifting to one muscle group...

Sorry for the off topic but someone needs to put an end to this.

Working out 5 days a week is not too much. Professional body builders do it all the time. As long as you don't work the same muscle group on back to back days you are perfectly fine.

End of story. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Later, Frank

john123
Feb 11, 2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by frankly
Sorry for the off topic but someone needs to put an end to this.

Working out 5 days a week is not too much. Professional body builders do it all the time. As long as you don't work the same muscle group on back to back days you are perfectly fine.

End of story. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Later, Frank

"Not back to back days" isn't quite enough. I think most of the frequent lifters in this thread have agreed with that by talking about how heavily they segment their workouts with respect to their muscle groups.

iShinji01
Feb 11, 2004, 12:15 PM
This thread is so long I don't know if anyone's said this before or not but iPods WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR SALE AT THE APPLE RETAIL STORES UNTIL FRIDAY FEBRUARY 20TH. This new date was updated yesterday (10th).

spencecb
Feb 11, 2004, 01:27 PM
Apple and MINI should team up for integration of the iPod mini into the MINI Cooper...this would help more and more car stereos to work with MP3 devices...sort of like some stereos will let you connect thru audio in....but put a dock sort of feature in the car so you can plop your iPod or iPod mini right into the car....that would be freaking awesome!!!

bensisko
Feb 11, 2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by spencecb
Apple and MINI should team up for integration of the iPod mini into the MINI Cooper...this would help more and more car stereos to work with MP3 devices...sort of like some stereos will let you connect thru audio in....but put a dock sort of feature in the car so you can plop your iPod or iPod mini right into the car....that would be freaking awesome!!!

Oh, you mean like the Beetle/iPod promotion about a year ago?

musicmaniac210
Feb 11, 2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by iShinji01
This thread is so long I don't know if anyone's said this before or not but iPods WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR SALE AT THE APPLE RETAIL STORES UNTIL FRIDAY FEBRUARY 20TH. This new date was updated yesterday (10th).

Damn it, no I gutta wait till Next Friday to Get one??????????????????

You would think that Apple would Send a sufficiant supply to the Retail Stores before the 16th so they can have them the day they are suppose to start shipping for everyone else.

I'm ticked, now I gotta wait another WHOLE week to get one.

I've had NO iPod for about 3-3 1/2 weeks because I sold it with an old comp. to get a 15" PowerBook.

I thought I would have the Mini on the 16th Monday...

that just wrecked my whole week

damn it

spencecb
Feb 11, 2004, 07:52 PM
Oh, you mean like the Beetle/iPod promotion about a year ago?

yeah...but I'm not sure if the iPod was actually integrated into the cars stereo...It seemed as if it was, but at the same time nothing was every very clear about it...but yeah, like that promotion, except with MINI...wish they would have done something like that when I bought my MINI in May of 2003!!

john123
Feb 11, 2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by spencecb
yeah...but I'm not sure if the iPod was actually integrated into the cars stereo...It seemed as if it was, but at the same time nothing was every very clear about it...but yeah, like that promotion, except with MINI...wish they would have done something like that when I bought my MINI in May of 2003!!

I don't think it was integrated...just marketing stuff.

jrober
Feb 12, 2004, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by iShinji01

iShinji01 where did you get this info, both 1-800-My Apple and employees at the Apple store Soho confirmed to me in stock Monday morning the 16th Feb.

If it is true puts paid to my mates going on Monday to pick up a brace of mini iPods for immediate export to the UK.

iJon
Feb 12, 2004, 12:20 PM
i was in class today and my friend told me her dad just got an ipod mini, one of the blue ones. his secretary bought it for him when she up in new york i belive.

iJon

richc
Feb 12, 2004, 12:21 PM
Just called my three local stores:

Aventura, FL: Feb 20th

Boca Raton: Feb 20th

The Falls: "After" Feb 16th(which may mean the 20th)

I called earlier this week and all the stores from above said the 16th. So Apple must be having problems getting them out into the channel. Anyone else with reports from other stores? Please share.

musicmaniac210
Feb 12, 2004, 04:04 PM
CambridgeSide: As of 2/12 - Friday the 20th at 6pm.

Chestnut Hill Mall: "SomeTime" during the week of the 16th

Northshore: "I Don't Know" try back the 20th

Rockingham Park (NH): Maybe Monday, Call Sunday Night.

jimsowden
Feb 12, 2004, 07:33 PM
King of Prussia: 20th (sublect to change)
Doylestown: Here is the scoop: They are now expected to begin shipping the week of Feb. 22.

Doylestown is a retail who has to get it through a distributer. I saw one on sale for immediate dilevery on ebay, but can't find it now.

Messiatosh
Feb 12, 2004, 10:17 PM
Forget for a minute, forget that the iPod exists. Pretend you were using the same portable music player you had (if you had one) 4 years ago. How did you have your music with you? How many CD's did you carry with you? How many did you want to be able to use?

Ahh, thank God for the iPod. But to me, it isnt the iPod's capacity that draws me to it anymore. I am beyond that, I have no desire or REAL need to have as many songs as 10,000 in my pocket. It costs a lot of money to do that, it also costs pocket space. While the iPod may be small in comparison to portable CD players or most other "comparable" MP3 players, it just isnt a mini.

The mini will be the best selling product in Apple's history, I have no doubts about it. I think the mini is being overlooked, simply because it gets compared in terms of storage capacity. Think about this for a second: it has as much internal storage as the original iMac did!

The mini is effectively going to be Apple's next iMac, this time in comparison to success, not storage capacity.

$249 is too much money to pay for what it is? Look at what it is NOT before you go all negative on me. It is NOT big, it is NOT expensive COMPARED to other iPod's, it is NOT heavy, it does NOT take up room, it is NOT just white, it does NOT have pitiful storage capacity.

This new iPod mini lacks so many things, that it is perfect. And before christmas, it is going to lose something else: $50 off its price tag. Of course, I didnt care about the price, because I paid for what is isnt, as much as I paid for what it is.

Never before have I been so amazed by a "mini" iteration of a product. This new iPod has everything that just about everyone needs. It is interesting to me that people talk up the idea of a low priced tower computer, this is the exact same thing as that except in digital music player form. It appeals to the masses who honestly, could care less about a 9,000 song difference. It is all about the $250 dollar difference, for $250 dollars less...look what you get...and also, look what you DONT get.;)

Supa_Fly
Feb 13, 2004, 12:35 AM
Jocknerd, Frank Zane never beat Arnold. Arnold finished runnerup in 1969 to Sergio Oliva then won from 1970-1975. He retired and came out of retirement in 1980 to win again. Maybe I was wrong when it came to Mr. Olympia but there was indeed a contest, formal in which Frank Zane DID beat Arnold, due to his lack of leg developement at the time, read it in a 1970's era guide to bodybuilding. Not sure the name, or the year, must have been between 1968-1973.

Arnold won Mr. Olympia a total of 8 times, 7 straight and was in the late seventies to the 80's. Lou Ferigno (spelt it wrong I'm sure, hope the Incredible Hulk doesn't come after me??) won only one as well in the 80's (1980/1981/1982 ??).

Again I maybe wrong in the competition but Zane did beat Arnold, look at all the photos and you'll see that Arnold's leg development progressed over time along with vascularity and being cut as well. Big men don't win just being big (traditionally yes but it takes more than size).

Now those of you whom use an iPod to work out, where do you place your earphones??? under shirt, or behind back or does it depend on workout??
:D

aswitcher
Feb 13, 2004, 07:12 AM
I think if they bundled $10 or $20 worth of iTunes with each Mini iPod they would blunt some of the price criticism and help beef up interest in the iTunes store...