PDA

View Full Version : Apogee Duet & FW card

Mattww
Nov 13, 2008, 01:49 PM
I currently have a Power Mac G5 but will upgrade to a Mac Pro sometime next year - if for any reason Apple don't keep FireWire (I imagine they will likely keep the 800 port at least) does the Duet work OK with PCI-Express cards? I don't like the idea of buying one and having to switch to a USB solution.

On a second note I assume with the duet I can set it as the input source just in my audio applications and keep my Optical out set for DVDs/iTunes and everyday audio along with my iSight mic for iChat?

junior
Nov 13, 2008, 02:22 PM
If they get rid of FW400, I'd imagine they'd get 3 extra FW800 ports in there to replace the current 400s.
So you'd only need to purchase a new cable.

There's absolutely no way they'll only have 1 FW and 4 USB ports on a Mac Pro. They'd loose too many customers from the pro market.

abolit
Dec 11, 2008, 01:40 PM
The Apple doesn't care. They do what they want and nobody can't convince them to behave differently. As an example, there're so many unhappy customers with a glossy screen on new macbook pro. Do you think they will take it into consideration? The same's happening with the firewire ports.
If tomorrow a new Mac Pro hits the market with no Firewire ports at all, I wouldn't be supprised.
Unfortunately there's no alternative to Mac. No way I'm going back to f..king Vista