PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Unibody !!CRACKED SCREEN!!

alex.m90
Nov 14, 2008, 06:14 PM
THIS IS A WARNING TO ALL NEW LATE 08' MACBOOK / PRO OWNERS, BE VERY CAREFUL WITH YOUR NEW LAPTOP!!

So, I was walking down the stairs yesterday when I tripped on my dog and dropped my laptop down the stairs.. oh dear:eek:. At first I wasn't too bothered as it was in its Neoprene Sleeve and it only fell down about 3 steps, so I carried on as usual

About 3 hours later I got out my laptop, turned it on, and it wasn't until it had booted up and started safari that I noticed the huge crack/chip in my beloved macbook's "all glass" display. There were 2 chips in the upper left of the screen, and the cracked stretched all the way from there to about every other place imaginable on the screen, here are some images...

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr360/alexm571164/IMG_4336.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr360/alexm571164/IMG_4334.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr360/alexm571164/IMG_4331.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr360/alexm571164/IMG_4333.jpg
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr360/alexm571164/IMG_4337.jpg

So.. I am now half way through making a claim on my home insurance, as the apple genius was having none of it (not that I expected him to but it was worth a try) and I now know that it truly is bad luck to cross on the stairs :p

Cheers - Alex, 1 damn upset macbook owner

JLatte
Nov 14, 2008, 06:16 PM
Ouch :( I'm really sorry about that, good luck.

dbdynsty25
Nov 14, 2008, 06:18 PM
Ouch :( I'm really sorry about that, good luck.

Oh the joys of covering a flexible surface with glass. I'll never understand that design decision.

skye12
Nov 14, 2008, 06:29 PM
ANY laptop could be damaged after dropping it down some stairs. I don't
think the new screen design had anything to do with it.

emt1
Nov 14, 2008, 06:31 PM
Warning: Dropping Your Laptop Down A Flight Of Stairs May Damage It

sukanas
Nov 14, 2008, 06:32 PM
why is ur screen so dirty

alex.m90
Nov 14, 2008, 06:35 PM
why is ur screen so dirty

I do apologize for the dirty screen, it has mainly been people at college prodding the cracks, and the apple genius and his manager were also havin a good old poke at it, and if i clean it, little chards of glass fall of, so I have been a bit reluctant.. so once again, i am sorry

JayLenochiniMac
Check your credit card to see if it has accidental damage protection (usually up to 90 days from date of purchase) and use that instead of filing a claim with homeowner insurance, which may hurt you in the long run.

HLdan
Hmm, sorry I sorta find the OP's story suspect. It's interesting that he fell down the stairs and his brand new Macbook fell down 3 levels of stairs and he never even checked it as soon as the accident happened. If my brand new notebook tripped down the stairs the first thing I am going to do is check it to make sure it didn't receive any damage, the OP waited 3 hours later??
Also the glass plate is cracked, you mean to tell me you didn't notice that until after you booted up the computer and and launched Safari??? Interesting.:confused:

alex.m90
Nov 14, 2008, 06:36 PM
Warning: Dropping Your Laptop Down A Flight Of Stairs May Damage It

I agree, but its still annoying, and you still have to be carefull..

Hmm, sorry I sorta find the OP's story suspect. It's interesting that he fell down the stairs and his brand new Macbook fell down 3 levels of stairs and he never even checked it as soon as the accident happened. If my brand new notebook tripped down the stairs the first thing I am going to do is check it to make sure it didn't receive any damage, the OP waited 3 hours later??
Also the glass plate is cracked, you mean to tell me you didn't notice that until after you booted up the computer and and launched Safari??? Interesting.:confused:

Not three levels, three acctual stairs like each acctulall step, and also you can only really notice the cracks when the screen is a lighter, and I dont tend stare at my laptop when it is turning on, I wipe the keboard or something, its more productive:D

Check your credit card to see if it has accidental damage protection (usually up to 90 days from date of purchase) and use that instead of filing a claim with homeowner insurance, which may hurt you in the long run.

Unfortunatly it was a debit card :(

Vulcan
Nov 14, 2008, 06:44 PM
Sorry to hear that that happened to you, why Apple went with glass is beyond me. Good luck filing for the repair.

VSMacOne
Nov 14, 2008, 06:46 PM
OUCH... Even looking at that hurts. :eek:
Did the Genius check to see if anything else is damaged inside?
I agree with the last poster... You drop your MB and dont check it out right away? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? Were you thinking... " Oh it's just 3 steps, it won't hurt it a bit!" ;) lol....

alex.m90
Nov 14, 2008, 06:50 PM
I am only posting this in case anyone was interested, and the warning thing was just there for dramatical effect, and I completely agree with you that any laptop would break after falling down some stairs (even if it was only 3:p), and as for checking it.. I obviously wasnt thinking straight.. but still be careful

OUCH... Even looking at that hurts. :eek:
Did the Genius check to see if anything else is damaged inside?
I agree with the last poster... You drop your MB and dont check it out right away? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? Were you thinking... " Oh it's just 3 steps, it won't hurt it a bit!" ;) lol....

Naah, he looked at it for a while, and after a while asked me if there was any damage to the laptop before i bought it, I just went along with him, in the hope of a repair, and made up some story of there being some kind of small chip in there when i bought it, and it gradually getting worse, and then he got his manager and his manager started interrogating me on the other chips in the screen and how they were totally unrelated to the original, and then they checked the price of parts on the internet, and just said that unfortunately it was -as far as they suspected- accidental damage and there was nothing they could do for me. I wasn't expecting much, but the manager could have had a bit more sympathy, its only 3 weeks old for gods sake.. lol

mynameisraj
Nov 14, 2008, 07:23 PM
I'm sorry about thatů hopefully you can get it replaced some way or another.

If you believe in karma (or if you don't) it'll come around and give you good luck some way or another.

Let us know how it goes.

tiartrop
Nov 14, 2008, 09:06 PM
Those are pretty nasty cracks... but no leakage?

I'm not sure how the design of this new screen works, considering dust can get trapped underneath it, I thought it could be replaced, but I guess I'm wrong.

Good luck with it though, do keep us posted.

Jak3
Nov 14, 2008, 09:23 PM
Oh man, must have fell much differently from the way mine did...mine doesn't even have a scratch after a 5 stair step fall... :(

John585
Nov 14, 2008, 09:35 PM
What brand sleeve was it in?

Totti
Nov 14, 2008, 09:41 PM
What brand sleeve was it in?

At first I wasn't too bothered as it was in its Neoprene Sleeve

Totti

No1451
Nov 14, 2008, 09:49 PM
Funny that 3 stairs did the trick, 3 days into owning mine I slipped on ice and fell ON TOP of it while it was in my messenger bag.

I did my best to avoid damage by throwing my arm under my body(bones heal, aluminum doesn't) but I still put most of my weight on it.

Either way, good luck getting it replaced.

Primejimbo
Nov 14, 2008, 10:02 PM
ANY laptop could be damaged after dropping it down some stairs. I don't
think the new screen design had anything to do with it.

I agree, the old whitebook would have cracked on the outside. A few years ago i dropped my Dell laptop just from a chair and it cracked and wouldn't turn on at all. At least you can save all your stuff off your hard drive.

fishniw
Nov 14, 2008, 10:21 PM
I flipped over the handle bars of my bike when my chain came off and banged my body and backpack with the new 'book inside and it was fine. had it in an applesac as well but they don't seem too protective

hogfaninga
Nov 14, 2008, 10:31 PM
I agree, the old whitebook would have cracked on the outside. A few years ago i dropped my Dell laptop just from a chair and it cracked and wouldn't turn on at all. At least you can save all your stuff off your hard drive.

I dropped my last Blackbook (not the one I have now) twice. Once on concrete hard and the other time it fell off my desk at college. No cracks. Just left a few minor scratches. They are pretty tough. Aluminum would of at least had some dings, but are strong also.

drewsof07
Nov 14, 2008, 10:40 PM
I dropped my last Blackbook (not the one I have now) twice. Once on concrete hard and the other time it fell off my desk at college. No cracks. Just left a few minor scratches. They are pretty tough. Aluminum would of at least had some dings, but are strong also.

Plastic seems to absorb shock better than aluminum. The plastic will scratch and crack, but leave the insides relatively unharmed, aluminum will bend and warp, as well as scratch. Plus, plastic components are much cheaper to replace should you want to apply a new top case to restore it. I'm scared at the price for a new top case on these unibody models, will probably be outrageous should something happen to the structure. :eek:

Sorry about your new Macbook :( sucks, but home owners insurance is probably the best route to go. Might want to check into how much your premiums will increase though, as you may pay MORE in the end to your insurance than the cost of a new MB. Good luck

FrankieTDouglas
Nov 14, 2008, 11:21 PM
Someone dropped my laptop onto concrete. Not a glass screen. No cracks. So... yes, glass does affect this.

Jak3
Nov 15, 2008, 12:41 AM
Someone dropped my laptop onto concrete. Not a glass screen. No cracks. So... yes, glass does affect this.

didn't anyone see my statement?

My Glassbook fell down 5 steps and is still fine, must have been the way his fell

angemon89
Nov 15, 2008, 01:00 AM
I'm not surprised by the crack, I'm more surprised by how many people actually drop their laptops. How does that even happen? :eek:

Things like phones, yeah, I can see people dropping them... they're small and people carry them around all the time which increases the likelihood of dropping it. But a laptop? First of all people don't carry around their laptops all the time and when they do, I would think that they would at least hold their $1000+ piece of equipment FIRMLY in their hands and being cautious of it.

All I can imagine is the OP running down a flight of stairs while balancing his laptop with one finger. lol

hogfaninga
Nov 15, 2008, 01:01 AM
didn't anyone see my statement?

My Glassbook fell down 5 steps and is still fine, must have been the way his fell

This is a message board. Some people might believe you and others will think it is BS. No offense to you, but you always have to take whatever anyone says on here with a grain of salt including me or anyone else.

sammich
Nov 15, 2008, 01:15 AM
Like someone mentioned before, glass doesn't like to be bent. And depending on the way it landed will determine the amount of warping the whole laptop will undergo. It if lands on a corner, well, you're pretty much screwed.

The neoprene sleeve, just for scratches, does jack for drops (unless it's a 5 inch drop).

And to sum up my post, here is my once loved PBG4. Someone bumped me at school, fell onto a concrete floor from elbow height, and it was gone...well not totally, it had insurance, Apple replaced the broken combo drive in it for free too (post fall). The titaniums if you ever had one, could not be carried with one hand on the corner.

Big-TDI-Guy
Nov 15, 2008, 01:28 AM
Well - if there is a major downside to an all metal chassis - it's the fact it does not absorb any energy in a fall - instead it transfers it - rather well.

Now - those "cheesy" flexible plastic cases - will actually survive a fall much better - because the energy is dissipated in the plastic, instead of the components themselves.

Knolly
Nov 15, 2008, 01:37 AM

Okay, are you honestly accusing him of withholding information when he admitted he dropped the laptop down several stairs? He's admitting to the damage himself.

D.M.S
Nov 15, 2008, 01:46 AM
Is the dog ok?

California
Nov 15, 2008, 02:02 AM
I wonder if an inner pad over the keyboard and between the screen should be standard traveling equipment for these macbooks.

My zeroshock sleeve came today. It is really for the old style Macbook. I'm going to add extra padding.

Sorry to OP. It hurts looking at it.

alex.m90
Nov 15, 2008, 06:15 AM
Is the dog ok?

yepp, lol shes finee.

alex.m90
Nov 15, 2008, 06:18 AM
Thanks for all your comments, I have had some quite gd advice on to what to do noww and in the future, seems I just have to wait till some time monday to get a reply to my claimm..

turns out I had specific laptop insurance on my old macbook, and it has just carried over to this one.. happy days:D lets wait n se eh..