Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

datafatmunger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
is anyone else having trouble getting vpnd (the VPN Server) to work. starting it at the command line it quickly terminates. . .and some of the configuration files are missing?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
ummm

if you are using server, just open up the gui and start the vpn with a check in the box. otherwise, the client doesn't have vpn server in it.

EDIT: Sorry, to start the vpn, you click on it in the list, then you hit the BIG START button.

datafatmunger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
i'm not using server

i'm not using server. . .and the standard edition does have vpnd and it did work in 10.2. . .so i'm not about to give up yet. . .if apple ripped such functionality out to motivate people like me to purchase the $500 server edition. . .that just really sucks. . .why would you want to alienate the unix geek switch overs. . .who helped with the revival of Mac OS?

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
I tried this but failed:

mac:~ user$ vpnd -h
Usage: vpnd [-dhnx] -i serverID
-h this message
-x does not move to background
-d enable debug mode
-n same as -d but terminates after validation
-i server ID for this server (ex: com.apple.ppp.l2tp)
mac:~ user$ vpnd -d -i com.apple.ppp.l2tp
2004-02-12 17:07:57 EST VPND: could not get servers dictionary
2004-02-12 17:07:57 EST VPND: error processing prefs file

I'm still looking though

datafatmunger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
yeah

I saw that article too. . .but in my 10.3 installation. . .i updated from 10.2 by the way it wasn't a fresh install. . .files such as /etc/ppp/pptp_service are not there anymore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.