PDA

View Full Version : any Macbook purchase regrets?

D.M.S
Nov 16, 2008, 12:44 AM
do you regret rushing in getting caught up in the hype and buying the new aluminium macbook and secretly wish you went with the white one or an older model now after a bit of use and noted problems arising?

VSMacOne
Nov 16, 2008, 12:56 AM
Not for a minute. Even though i've had problems with mine, I'm not sorry I went for it. it's very stylish, handles great, and everytime i pick up a previous model MB i get more excited about my Alu. :eek:

showkati
Nov 16, 2008, 12:56 AM
no, but i'm getting the feeling you are

D.M.S
Nov 16, 2008, 01:10 AM
No actually I bought a white one. Just there's this hot offer going on a new one locally that i was tentatively looking into but they seem to be more trouble than they're worth from what I'm reading.

VSMacOne
Nov 16, 2008, 01:12 AM
no, but i'm getting the feeling you are

Reading the OP's other threads I believe he/she is considering buying one... I think he/she's just trying to get an idea how others feel about their purchase :p IMO..

VSMacOne
Nov 16, 2008, 01:13 AM
No actually I bought a white one. Just there's this hot offer going on a new one locally that i was tentatively looking into but they seem to be more trouble than they're worth from what I'm reading.

Yes they seem to have some issues, but i think that has happened with all MB's of Rev 1. What kind of deal are you talking about here?!

D.M.S
Nov 16, 2008, 01:26 AM
Reading the OP's other threads I believe he/she is considering buying one... I think he/she's just trying to get an idea how others feel about their purchase :p IMO..

well yeah I did say I'm tentatively looking at one and the "hot deal" is only $1500.
They're $2099 new here.(Australia)

Went from the Core Duo MBP to the 2.1 white macbook.which was $1699.
The decision was based on price mostly I knew I wanted a smaller laptop so it was a given that it would be a macbook so I figured i'd wait and see what they brought out,didn't like them/too expensive,and went the tried and true old design.

And well yeah i am trying to get an idea about how people feel about their purchases.hence asking in a public discussion forum.It's no big secret

VSMacOne
Nov 16, 2008, 01:33 AM
And well yeah i am trying to get an idea about how people feel about their purchases.hence asking in a public discussion forum.It's no big secret

Oh I didn't say it as a bad thing! :p That's what these forums are for.
DANG.. that's a $500 price cut!! I wish I could've done that :D

motulist
Nov 16, 2008, 01:38 AM
The conventional wisdom of Apple fans is that you should never buy rev.A Apple products. You should always wait for at least revision B. If you have the self control to wait.

If you are unfamiliar with the Apple revision system, here's the basic idea (afaik). Whenever a new Apple product is launched it is the revision A version of the product, then at some point later Apple will silently and unannounced begin shipping an updated version of the product that has eliminated the hardware bugs that the revision A version had. The updated product will look the same and be marketed as if it was exactly the same product, so you'll have no idea that the product being shipped now is a better version than the product they were shipping previously. The only way to know when a new version begins shipping is to do some research on the web at non-Apple sites.

p.s. I assume that this isn't just an Apple thing, I assume that all computer manufacturers do this.

jaredtomas
Nov 16, 2008, 01:42 AM
well yeah I did say I'm tentatively looking at one and the "hot deal" is only $1500.
They're $2099 new here.(Australia)

Went from the Core Duo MBP to the 2.1 white macbook.which was $1699.
The decision was based on price mostly I knew I wanted a smaller laptop so it was a given that it would be a macbook so I figured i'd wait and see what they brought out,didn't like them/too expensive,and went the tried and true old design.

Damn, I thought my deal at $1800 was sweet. Where abouts are you getting this from? (if you don't mind me asking)

D.M.S
Nov 16, 2008, 01:55 AM
From my neighbour who I 'borrow' wireless off.
We were chatting this morning over coffee and a smoke and i dunno she's not happy with it.i told her to flip it on ebay but she's dead set against it.I said i didn't like the new ones and went with the white one and she was all 'yeah I should've but they were new and i didn't wanna buy old stuff' that kinda thing.
So yeah this was the 3rd person i'd heard this sorta thing from.
I couldn't justify dropping over $2K on something i don't like the look off but for a substantial saving I could possibly get over my black key phobia.
The whole graphics card ,supplied ram and HD size were of no concern to me I upgrade them myself by own sources anyway.
But like the old design you know it works ect.

molala
Nov 16, 2008, 02:25 AM
The conventional wisdom of Apple fans is that you should never buy rev.A Apple products. You should always wait for at least revision B. If you have the self control to wait.

If you are unfamiliar with the Apple revision system, here's the basic idea (afaik). Whenever a new Apple product is launched it is the revision A version of the product, then at some point later Apple will silently and unannounced begin shipping an updated version of the product that has eliminated the hardware bugs that the revision A version had. The updated product will look the same and be marketed as if it was exactly the same product, so you'll have no idea that the product being shipped now is a better version than the product they were shipping previously. The only way to know when a new version begins shipping is to do some research on the web at non-Apple sites.

p.s. I assume that this isn't just an Apple thing, I assume that all computer manufacturers do this.

They still announce it. Depending on the revision, they either do it during MacWorld or some other event (if there are exciting changes). Or they just issue a press release. If you go to apple.com/hotnews or other Mac and tech websites, you see the announcement. And you should check current specs at apple.com/macbook because you might buy the previous revision (some resellers don't drop their prices or say there is a newer revision). Typically, Apple updates its laptops every 6 months so the next one should be around April.

motulist
Nov 16, 2008, 02:52 AM
They still announce it. Depending on the revision, they either do it during MacWorld or some other event (if there are exciting changes). Or they just issue a press release. If you go to apple.com/hotnews or other Mac and tech websites, you see the announcement. And you should check current specs at apple.com/macbook because you might buy the previous revision (some resellers don't drop their prices or say there is a newer revision). Typically, Apple updates its laptops every 6 months so the next one should be around April.

No, those are not revisions, those are updates. Those are two extremely different things.

molala
Nov 16, 2008, 02:57 AM
No, those are not revisions, those are updates. Those are two extremely different things.

I don't know if they changed it for the Intel Macs. But historically, the Powerbook revisions were updates. For instance, the 12-inch PB only had 4 revisions - each revision was announced had an increase in processor speed (and other changes). If you say a Rev A, it's the 867MHz and the Rev D is the 1.5GHz.

reclusivemonkey
Nov 16, 2008, 03:20 AM
I was going to get a new MacBook, but like you when I saw the price it was a bit too much for me. I didn't need the extra graphics power (I knew from experience with my Mac Mini that the integrated graphics was enough for me). I went with a White MacBook refurb and don't regret it for a second. There were enough concerns expressed with the glass screen, the trackpad and the usual "Version A issues" to make me decide.

Oh, that and a near 1K laptop and my unholy terror of a two year old son just weren't going to mix well!

If I were you I would hang on until version 2.0; has your white Mac Book done anything to disappoint you?

motulist
Nov 16, 2008, 03:25 AM
I don't know if they changed it for the Intel Macs. But historically, the Powerbook revisions were updates. For instance, the 12-inch PB only had 4 revisions - each revision was announced had an increase in processor speed (and other changes). If you say a Rev A, it's the 867MHz and the Rev D is the 1.5GHz.

Maybe my information is out of date. In the olden days with G3 towers and what not, there would be silent revisions released which changed things like a bus control chip on the logic board.

molala
Nov 16, 2008, 03:44 AM
Maybe my information is out of date. In the olden days with G3 towers and what not, there would be silent revisions released which changed things like a bus control chip on the logic board.

We are the same, I also have to think back to the olden days! :)

So now I learn there are silent/minor revisions, that don't lead to a change in the model number ...../A to ...../B - which are called Rev A, Rev B. This is the source of our confusion. You are right, the OP should wait for a minor revision which could very well take just a month or two, and the full Rev B could be 4-5 months away.

D.M.S
Nov 16, 2008, 03:45 AM
If I were you I would hang on until version 2.0; has your white Mac Book done anything to disappoint you?

nope
more like well for the $$ why don't i take advantage of the opportunity to grab the new design ect and what's that word they use 'future proof' myself or something with it for the next few years.

And er it's a used machine there won't be any waiting....

VSMacOne
Nov 16, 2008, 04:06 AM
nope
more like well for the $$ why don't i take advantage of the opportunity to grab the new design ect and what's that word they use 'future proof' myself or something with it for the next few years.

And er it's a used machine there won't be any waiting....

If you look at it from a financial point of view, also consider the fact that the Alu MB will hold it's value a little better then the previous gen MB, just because it's newer, etc. So if you ever have to sell it, you might get more for it than for a WhiteBook...
AND i dont know this for a fact, but if you ever want to upgrade to Snow Leopard the Alu MB will probably handle it better and you'll be able to take advantage of the improvements..
but again, it comes down strictly to what you want to live with for a while :cool:

youssefm
Nov 16, 2008, 08:50 AM
I have absolutely no regrets about it.. i got it about a week and a half after they came out and everything on mine is perfect.. my keys were slanted but i fixed it.. and basically i got a perfect machine =D

clyde2801
Nov 16, 2008, 09:42 AM
I regret that I didn't go straight for the MBP instead of messing around exhanging washed out screens for washed out screens.

And for the people who lucked out with theirs, more power to you.

Davidkoh
Nov 16, 2008, 09:45 AM
No problem with mine :) Don't regret it for a second.

shady825
Nov 16, 2008, 09:56 AM
My only regret is that its taken me 20 years to buy a mac! no turning back baby!!!

I am 101% happy with my Macbook.

subq
Nov 16, 2008, 12:02 PM
I regret that I didn't go straight for the MBP instead of messing around exhanging washed out screens for washed out screens.

And for the people who lucked out with theirs, more power to you.

The only thing I regret is not getting the MBP and the ony reason is because of how terrible the macbook lcd is.

However, I really like the weight/size of the macbook, and I couldn't justify nearly $1000 more for the mbp (if I went mbp I would want the proc with more cache).

The Samurai
Nov 16, 2008, 01:40 PM
My only regret is that its taken me 20 years to buy a mac! no turning back baby!!!

I am 101% happy with my Macbook.

I second this.

Although that said, I didn't have any problems with Windows. Leopard is far easier though, miles ahead. Love the features on it hence the purchase :D

troublesomekila
Nov 16, 2008, 01:40 PM
the only thing i regret is spending all that money.....it took me a long time to save up. but im almost halfway saved up again :)

foodle
Nov 16, 2008, 01:41 PM
No regrets. Did my research and knew what I was getting into. Most of the so-called "issues" raised on the forums are minor nitpicks as far as I'm concerned.

shady825
Nov 16, 2008, 01:48 PM
I second this.

Although that said, I didn't have any problems with Windows. Leopard is far easier though, miles ahead. Love the features on it hence the purchase :D

I had a BIG problem with windows! I lost all my stuff on my hard drive. AND YES I KNOW, this could happen on a mac or pc but hey, it was an excuse for me to splurge on a new mac!! :D

foodle
Nov 16, 2008, 01:55 PM
I had a BIG problem with windows! I lost all my stuff on my hard drive. AND YES I KNOW, this could happen on a mac or pc but hey, it was an excuse for me to splurge on a new mac!! :D
Well, one thing about losing a HDD that is a Mac/Windows issue, is that OS X provides an easy to use back-up system (Time Machine) which Windows does not. So if you had been on a Mac, it's likely your recovery would have been easier.

shady825
Nov 16, 2008, 01:59 PM
Well, one thing about losing a HDD that is a Mac/Windows issue, is that OS X provides an easy to use back-up system (Time Machine) which Windows does not. So if you had been on a Mac, it's likely your recovery would have been easier.

very true!!!
i know its a little excessive but ever since that happened, ive been backing up my mac weekly on time machine!!!

When my dell took a crap i seriously lost everything! every picture ive ever taken, every song ive had, EVERYTHING!!!

USE TIME MACHINE PEOPLE! a few minutes outta your day to back up your computer can save you years of material that you will never get back!

Luke1robb
Nov 16, 2008, 02:04 PM
do you regret rushing in getting caught up in the hype and buying the new aluminium macbook and secretly wish you went with the white one or an older model now after a bit of use and noted problems arising?

I don't regret buying the Alu Macbook, but I do regret buying it so soon after the announcement. I've got thrown under the bus with some early adopter issues, but no I don't regret getting this beauty for one second! I love this thing!

D.M.S
Nov 16, 2008, 04:39 PM
stickin with my original purchase of the "classic" white macbook.
not too fond of these new space aged billet thingamajigs

D.M.S
Nov 16, 2008, 04:43 PM
the first thing i noticed when touching the new macbooks was the feeling of the computer case vibrating where the palm rest is which was another turnoff.

foodle
Nov 16, 2008, 04:44 PM
the first thing i noticed when touching the new macbooks was the feeling of the computer case vibrating where the palm rest is which was another turnoff.

Hmmm, that SSD sounds defective. It shouldn't be vibrating. :D

Primejimbo
Nov 16, 2008, 06:11 PM
No regrets at all. I am 100% happy with mine and no issues also. I just wished I waited when I got my whitebook, but then again my wife has it and she loves it also.

richorlin
Nov 16, 2008, 07:13 PM

If no one bought Rev A, there won't BE a Rev B.

motulist
Nov 16, 2008, 07:14 PM
If no one bought Rev A, there won't BE a Rev B.

It's hard to tell online, are you making a joke?

steve31
Nov 16, 2008, 07:25 PM
NO regrets here.. even with a dead pixel.:D

Ryffie
Nov 16, 2008, 07:32 PM
I have no defects on mine and I don't regret buying the macbook. Although the better screen on Air is kinda appealing.

*sigh, do you know how perfect the macbook would be with a screen like the Air?!

Vulcan
Nov 16, 2008, 07:43 PM
I bought my WhiteBook in late August, got a free iPod with it, completely happy. New ones, glass screen would drive me crazy.

Jonesy85
Nov 16, 2008, 10:39 PM
No regrets here. The 2nd week of owning it I was a little regretful because seeing the negative opinions about the screen, but I realized I liked the screen until I read the opinions of others. Not to say it's an amazing screen, but for me it's fine. I love everything about the computer, otherwise.

shady825
Nov 17, 2008, 09:09 AM
No regrets here. The 2nd week of owning it I was a little regretful because seeing the negative opinions about the screen, but I realized I liked the screen until I read the opinions of others. Not to say it's an amazing screen, but for me it's fine. I love everything about the computer, otherwise.

"you liked the screen until you saw opinions of others" !?!?!?!?!
If you like the screen thats all that matters! who cares what someone else thinks!! I love the screen on mine and dont care at all what anyone else thinks..
Just the way you said that made it seem like other people have to like your mac in order for you to like it!?

Primejimbo
Nov 17, 2008, 10:01 AM
"you liked the screen until you saw opinions of others" !?!?!?!?!
If you like the screen thats all that matters! who cares what someone else thinks!! I love the screen on mine and dont care at all what anyone else thinks..
Just the way you said that made it seem like other people have to like your mac in order for you to like it!?

I also think the screen is excellent. No problems at all.

StingerT125
Nov 17, 2008, 05:41 PM
I got the 2.4 model and I have no regrets.

The more I use it, the happier I am with my decision.

Primejimbo
Nov 17, 2008, 05:50 PM

That is my next investment, I hope I will have a 500G or a 1T hard drive in a month or 2.

silverblack
Nov 17, 2008, 06:15 PM
What a pointless thread. It is obvious that someone is trying to reassure himself that his old MB is better than the new one. I bet if your MB breaks tomorrow and Apple offers you a choice of a free replacement (white or aluminum), you'll take the aluminum in a heartbeat.

VSMacOne
Nov 17, 2008, 06:18 PM
What a pointless thread. It is obvious that someone is trying to reassure himself that his old MB is better than the new one. I bet if your MB breaks tomorrow and Apple offers you a choice of a free replacement (white or aluminum), you'll take the aluminum in a heartbeat.
HA.... :eek:

showkati
Nov 17, 2008, 06:34 PM
Hmmm, that SSD sounds defective. It shouldn't be vibrating. :D

is this true?

i feel vibrations when i place my fingertips around the track pad. it comes and goes.

foodle
Nov 17, 2008, 06:49 PM
is this true?
i feel vibrations when i place my fingertips around the track pad. it comes and goes.

Can't tell if you're kidding. The HDD is underneath the right palm rest, so if you feel vibrations, that's probably what's doing it. If you had an SSD, there would be no vibrations, since it has no moving parts. I was just poking a little fun earlier. :D

patrickmacrumor
Nov 17, 2008, 07:30 PM
I see that a lot of those who bought the aluminium MacBook are very happy. However, I would suggest waiting a bit if one can. I've been burned once when I bought one of the first ever MacBooks. It had a lot of issues. Eventually Apple replaced it. It's nice that Apple replaced it, but I was without a computer for extended periods of time a few times. Just my 2 cents.

bearcatrp
Nov 17, 2008, 08:09 PM
No regrets here. Awesome machine. This is my second Rev A laptop from apple. My 1st was a G4 powerbook, then my new macbook. Zero problems with either one. I love the size for portability. Bottom line is.. is the macbook you have now doing everything you need it to? Is it to slow for you? If your happy with it and working the way you want, keep it. Wait 1 year and grab the next generation which will be intel i7. That processor will smoke anything out now.

Vulcan
Nov 17, 2008, 09:09 PM

Duh. It's like saying even though you don't like the MacBook Pro's looks (we are talking prev gen when they looked different) and don't believe it's worth the extra, if Apple offered you one as a replacement of course you'd take it, to sell or keep.

The comment could be said about aluminum MacBook owners just as well, are you trying to assure yourself that the off battery cover you just noticed doesn't matter and the last generation was horrible anyway?

To make a short post even shorter, everyone has their opinion.

D.M.S
Nov 18, 2008, 11:22 AM

what a pointless assuming post.
You're obviously not very good at betting either.

PhilaScott
Nov 18, 2008, 12:03 PM

Aren't they calling the new MB unibody rev F?
http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook

Ron21
Nov 18, 2008, 12:07 PM
I wish the display was better. I think the display ruins what would have been the perfect notebook.

silverblack
Nov 18, 2008, 12:14 PM
what a pointless assuming post.
You're obviously not very good at betting either.

Hey you don't need to admit anything. It's your action that counts anyway.

izym
Nov 20, 2008, 07:27 AM
Only thing I regret is that I didn't sell my desktop PC and bought a MacBook Pro instead lol. Also because of the screen size though.

mknawabi
Nov 20, 2008, 06:29 PM
Uh, what problems? :P

tyreal
Nov 20, 2008, 06:36 PM
I haven't experienced a single issue. So, no on that front. Dropping $1500 on anything there's always a little bit of buyers remorse, but no regret.

Since I use a Firebox for audio recording, the lack of a firewire port is a bit of a hindrance, but I have a PC with pro audio apps for that.

NC MacGuy
Nov 20, 2008, 07:28 PM
Purchased it and hated the display. After two weeks waffling, finally returned it and after showing store manager how relatively crappy it was, got a full refund.

Got a new Air and a MBP. Couldn't be much happier (matte would send me over the top...)