Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedMacMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Chicago
Ok this is probably a stupid question, but here goes:

I've got my Powerbook G4 at this huge corporate client, and want to print to the Network HP LaserJet 4si printer on the other side of my cube. OS X.3 found the printer fine, but when I try to print anything, the printer spits out the actual Postscript code verbatim, instead of actually interpreting it and printing my file. What's going on? How do I fix it?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It sounds as if the printer doesn't have the PostScript option or it's not turned on.

Try a more generic HP driver.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: Printing Postscript (literally) - I want to Doc, not the PS code!

Originally posted by RedMacMan
Ok this is probably a stupid question, but here goes:

I've got my Powerbook G4 at this huge corporate client, and want to print to the Network HP LaserJet 4si printer on the other side of my cube. OS X.3 found the printer fine, but when I try to print anything, the printer spits out the actual Postscript code verbatim, instead of actually interpreting it and printing my file. What's going on? How do I fix it?
You don't want a generic driver; you want a GIMP-print+CUPS driver for the LJ 4si.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
HP's printers use a native language called PCL. In order to parse PostScript, the printer driver is supposed to send a one-line PCL command that basically says "go into PS mode".

Like others have said, try to use the specific driver and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, look on HP's Website and find out how to reset the printer to its default settings.

RedMacMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Chicago
Huh. That's interesting about the HP printers. Using the GIMP driver did the trick. Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.