View Full Version : Ignorant newbie needs some laptop advice

Rufus33
Nov 19, 2008, 12:01 PM
Here's what I have:
M-Audio Fast Track USB
Session Program

Digidesign Mini M-Box
Pro Tools LE 7.1

I want a laptop to record my vocals and guitar and be able to take a "mobil studio" to wherever I am going. Eventually as I learn more, I may want to record drums, bass, guitar, etc. I have spent a good 2 years recording on my own and collaborating via the net through the M-Audio Sessions program (I know it's basic).

I bought a bundle last year with Pro Tools LE 7.1 and the Didigdesign mini M-Box which I have had sitting for a year until I could afford a laptop. Now I am ready for the laptop and want to start tinkering with the ProTools program. I also have a 500gb external hard drive to dump to. What laptop would you recommend and what specifications should I consider (RAM, GB, Khz, etc)? I will pretty much only use it for music making and internet access.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

MowingDevil
Nov 20, 2008, 07:30 AM
Here's what I have:
M-Audio Fast Track USB
Session Program

Digidesign Mini M-Box
Pro Tools LE 7.1

I want a laptop to record my vocals and guitar and be able to take a "mobil studio" to wherever I am going. Eventually as I learn more, I may want to record drums, bass, guitar, etc. I have spent a good 2 years recording on my own and collaborating via the net through the M-Audio Sessions program (I know it's basic).

I bought a bundle last year with Pro Tools LE 7.1 and the Didigdesign mini M-Box which I have had sitting for a year until I could afford a laptop. Now I am ready for the laptop and want to start tinkering with the ProTools program. I also have a 500gb external hard drive to dump to. What laptop would you recommend and what specifications should I consider (RAM, GB, Khz, etc)? I will pretty much only use it for music making and internet access.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Based on what you've said there I'd recommend the unibody MB w/ as much RAM as you can squeeze into it. You didn't specify what your external HD is, FW or USB. I assume its USB.

If its FW then you'll have to consider a Pro or get the white MB if you want a new portable rig.

Anyways, the MB is the most bang for the buck and easily meets your requirements.

Rufus33
Nov 26, 2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks MowingDevil. I appreciate it!!!:)

Sammio2
Nov 26, 2008, 02:40 PM
A word of warning...

Alot of Digidesign Mbox Users, including myself, are having serious problems with the core audio drivers for OS X Leopard.

Problems include core audio applications like iTunes, etc crashing and hanging and causing kernel panics.

For more information see Digidesigns forums...

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=194592

This problem has been going on for more than a year now, and digidesign have responded only by saying a core audio update in early 2009 should fix the problem, not very reassuring!

Sam

Rufus33
Dec 2, 2008, 04:38 PM
Ooooh...I guess I will be crossing my fingers then because last night I just bought the 2GB 15.4" Macbook Pro to use with my USB ported program(s). Any other words of wisdom besides the thread from Sammio (Thanks!). I guess I'm hoping the a 2008 version may work better. Am I wishful thinking?