PDA

View Full Version : mp3's on iTunes

aaron_wsu
Feb 13, 2004, 02:07 PM
I am considering making the switch from pc to mac but I an curious as to one aspect. I have an external hard drive with my mp3's stored on it currently.

1. Will there be any issues when i plug my external hd into the mac?
2. Will i Tunes play mp3 file format?

Thanks for the info.

rfenik
Feb 13, 2004, 02:15 PM
You should be able to just plug it in and it will just work... you'll see the drive pop up on your hard drive.

and iTunes works great with Mp3s. I have about 3000 of them, all ripped from CDs. It does a really good job organizing them.

-ko

Opteron
Feb 13, 2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by aaron_wsu
I am considering making the switch from pc to mac but I an curious as to one aspect. I have an external hard drive with my mp3's stored on it currently.

1. Will there be any issues when i plug my external hd into the mac?
2. Will i Tunes play mp3 file format?

Thanks for the info.

If you have any reservations about iTunes download it for your PC and check if all the various file types you have work. They should, though I'm not sure of iTunes support of the WMA format.

There should be no issues with your HDD. If you are still reserved, check the manufactures web site and see if it mac compatable.

varmit
Feb 13, 2004, 02:42 PM
They will be just fine. And the hard drive, when you plug it in, will show up on the DESKTOP. Someone has a typo up top.

edge9in
Feb 13, 2004, 03:01 PM
Make the switch dude! You'll have minor growing pains at first, but once you weed out your windows way of thinking you'll wonder how you ever got along without Mac.

I made the switch over a year ago and since then I've converted my Wife, my sister, and my best friend and all 3 of them are now in love with Apple.

live4ever
Feb 13, 2004, 03:25 PM
Your mp3s will work fine (download iTunes for Windows to see what you're missing). Your external HD can't be formatted in NTFS for the Mac to read it (I think, someone back me up) but FAT format is fine for sure.

Rower_CPU
Feb 13, 2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by live4ever
Your mp3s will work fine (download iTunes for Windows to see what you're missing). Your external HD can't be formatted in NTFS for the Mac to read it (I think, someone back me up) but FAT format is fine for sure.

Panther gives you read-only access to NTFS volumes. Otherwise, you're SOL.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/compare.html - Look under "Windows Interoperability"

aaron_wsu
Feb 13, 2004, 04:18 PM
So if my external HDD is formatted FAT32 I should be good to go? I will be able to save files on it and read files from both a mac and a pc? is this right?

thanx

Rower_CPU
Feb 13, 2004, 04:19 PM
Yes, you will be able to read/write on a Mac or PC if it's FAT32.

Westside guy
Feb 13, 2004, 10:48 PM
FAT32 is pretty much the most broadly compatible disk format you could pick.

mislabeledstar
Feb 14, 2004, 02:32 PM
Just to make sure when you say mp3, you mean mp3, itunes will play them. itunes WILL NOT play wma...... only mp3 and aac.....

neoelectronaut
Feb 14, 2004, 08:08 PM
And AIFF, and Midi, and a few other odds and end, mind you.