Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YeahIKnow

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Dublin
Just in time for Christmas my old G4 667 has given up the ghost. High five! :D

I could never ditch it as it was working perfectly and still outshines more modern laptops. That's over 7 years of serious abuse and it just kept on ticking. Amazing, huh? And in an amazing stroke of Karma I had backed up everything before doing a charity benefit. Time for a shiny new macbook methinks, and a few weeks of leafing through my backup drives - my firewire backup drives... :rolleyes:

Something tells me I'll be single a little while longer... :D

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
It's awesome to get that kind of longevity out of a notebook computer, especially one that was abused.

So although it's a bummer it died, it's always a nice feeling to upgrade - I'm sure the performance difference will be excellent between your old PB and a new MB.

mknawabi

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
I had the same one, I remember when the hinge on the LCD broke and the base and LCD were completely detached. It died soon after, I think.

Monster-built laptop, hehe

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
My PowerBook's five and is still going. The screen got the white spots issue and the BlueTooth module died, but aside from that, it's still working.

Congratulations on your future MacBook though!

Kleivonen

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
My mom's PBG4 just died as well at the age of 6 I believe. Well, I gave her my Macbok, and saw it as an opportunity to by myself a MBP :]

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Congrats on the long and productive life of your Powerbook, - sounds like you had a great time with it - and here's hoping that whatever replaces it (MB, MBP?) serves you just as well. Let us know what you decide to replace it with.

Cheers and good luck

npfeiffr

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
Ditto the congrats! I am actually surfing the posts on the same: PowerBook G4 667. Other than the battery no longer holding a charge and the trackpad occasionally stops working - mine is still going strong. Was just at the Mac store earlier this evening looking at the new MBP, and thinking that an upgrade would be a great Christmas present. Will be nice no longer having to seek out a plug all the time... but it will be hard to put the old one down. Since Tiger, it has worked better than it ever did before.

Sehnsucht

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2008
Just in time for Christmas my old G4 667 has given up the ghost. High five! :D

I could never ditch it as it was working perfectly and still outshines more modern laptops. That's over 7 years of serious abuse and it just kept on ticking. Amazing, huh? And in an amazing stroke of Karma I had backed up everything before doing a charity benefit. Time for a shiny new macbook methinks, and a few weeks of leafing through my backup drives - my firewire backup drives... :rolleyes:

Something tells me I'll be single a little while longer... :D

That is amazing. :D Awesome as a matter of fact. :apple:

Get the 17" MacBook Pro with FireWire 400/800 and matte screen. And enjoy :D

YeahIKnow

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Dublin
I've never used another Mac so no matter which new Mac I buy I'm in for a serious case of WTF speed. Phreeow! :D

As you pointed out any new Mac will be unlikely to be so long lived but that's fine by me as new Macbooks are a third the price I paid all those years ago!:)

Funny thing is all the useful bits & bobs have found happy homes already. My sister now has double the amount of memory in her laptop, my copy of Tiger and my airport card will be used to convert a netbook into a hackintosh if all goes well and the hard drive, in all its 30GB immensity, is already snug in a USB enclosure awaiting its new overlord.

It's kinda, but not quite, like those heads in a jar on Futurama! :D

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Congrats on a wonderful life together! My PB is going on 3 years and I can only hope it can keep on trucking, even though it has white spots on the screen, the battery cant last for more than an hour, and can be slow as molasses even though I have updated it to 2 gigs. PB's for the win.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
My 500mhz tibook is still chugging away. A friend of mine saw it the other day and said I should send it to the Smithsonian because it's in such good shape. It has spent the majority of it's time as a desktop so it didn't get much of the nicks and scraps that hauling one around would get. I keep it for an emergency back up incase my MacPro goes out; I'll at least be able to check my email. It's not good for much else and I can't sell it because it doesn't have much value. I haven't even replaced the battery from the original! When it gets unplugged I get about 10 minutes before the low battery warning pops up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.