Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CMillerERAU

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2003
I was in a discussion with a friend about computer heat dissipation. He was impressed my Windtunnel PowerMac (Dual 1Ghz) had such legendarily powerful fans. Though he's never heard them spool up to full power I have on occasion after installing a software update. Does anyone know if there's a UNIX command or something I could use to override the software control to set them to 100% (or even, dare I say, 0%?) Trust me, I wouldn't do it for long. I love my computer and don't want the G4's going nuclear (so to speak) and melting through the case and dorm room floor.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
there was a thread on this a few months ago, i think a windtunnel... the guy accidentally used the wrong command, and the fans went to 100%, but he couldn't turn them down again. Don't remember how it resolved, if it did. Try searching... good luck...

paul

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
I'm not sure about a straight UNIX command to make the fans cycle up, but you can pick your temperature that you want to run at. I believe the current set temp is around 60 Celcius.

Here's the site that explains how to modify the temperature table for fan control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.