PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G5 Slow

Chase817
Nov 24, 2008, 06:58 PM
My dad might give me his Power Mac G5 soon, and I've noticed it running very slow. It is running Leopard, it usually has about 20 apps open at a time, and has 512 MB RAM (lol). How much ram should I slap in there to make it take off like a rocket? If you have any good Power Mac G5 RAM deals, then link to them.

leekohler
Nov 24, 2008, 07:08 PM
Of course it's slow! 512? OMG, you need at least 4 gigs. Here's a link: http://dealnews.com/memory/

dmw007
Nov 24, 2008, 07:15 PM
Like leekohler has said, you need more RAM & pronto! :)

California
Nov 24, 2008, 07:31 PM
I have some brand new under warranty for Powermac sticks, two matching 1 gig chips. But depends on which Powermac you have?

these are the DDR regular not DDR2 ram chips.

Let me know as I literally was going to mail these back to them and get some MacBook ram in exchange.

OrangeSVTguy
Nov 24, 2008, 09:50 PM
512mb LOL. Yeah you need at least 2gb to run decently with multiple apps open at once. What G5 is it? The earlier ones only had 4 slots which max out to 4gb while the later ones had 8 slots and maxed to 8gb. You just missed out on a deal at Frys.com where they had 2gb kit at $15 shipped after mail-in-rebate.

If I were you, I'd contact California immediately for that memory. She'll give you a good deal and is a good seller/member of this community. Better hurry otherwise I'm gonna have to take her up on that offer :p

leekohler
Nov 24, 2008, 10:14 PM
512mb LOL. Yeah you need at least 2gb to run decently with multiple apps open at once. What G5 is it? The earlier ones only had 4 slots which max out to 4gb while the later ones had 8 slots and maxed to 8gb. You just missed out on a deal at Frys.com where they had 2gb kit at $15 shipped after mail-in-rebate.

If I were you, I'd contact California immediately for that memory. She'll give you a good deal and is a good seller/member of this community. Better hurry otherwise I'm gonna have to take her up on that offer :p

Correction- the last rev G5 goes to 16 gigs of RAM.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP37

IroquoisPliskin
Nov 25, 2008, 03:58 AM
2GB minimum, 4-6GB recommended.

I have 1.4GB of ram active (used) just browsing the web and watching a movie. Leopard likes it's ram, the more you give it access to the more it will be happy to use to boost performance.

You should be able to buy a 2GB kit for $28 and a 4GB kit for $45.