Power Mac G5 Slow

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Chase817, Nov 24, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Chase817

My dad might give me his Power Mac G5 soon, and I've noticed it running very slow. It is running Leopard, it usually has about 20 apps open at a time, and has 512 MB RAM (lol). How much ram should I slap in there to make it take off like a rocket? If you have any good Power Mac G5 RAM deals, then link to them.

2. macrumors G5

leekohler

3. macrumors G4

dmw007

Like leekohler has said, you need more RAM & pronto! :)

4. macrumors 68040

California

I have some brand new under warranty for Powermac sticks, two matching 1 gig chips. But depends on which Powermac you have?

these are the DDR regular not DDR2 ram chips.

Let me know as I literally was going to mail these back to them and get some MacBook ram in exchange.

5. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

512mb LOL. Yeah you need at least 2gb to run decently with multiple apps open at once. What G5 is it? The earlier ones only had 4 slots which max out to 4gb while the later ones had 8 slots and maxed to 8gb. You just missed out on a deal at Frys.com where they had 2gb kit at $15 shipped after mail-in-rebate.

If I were you, I'd contact California immediately for that memory. She'll give you a good deal and is a good seller/member of this community. Better hurry otherwise I'm gonna have to take her up on that offer :p

6. macrumors G5

leekohler

Correction- the last rev G5 goes to 16 gigs of RAM.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP37

7. macrumors regular

2GB minimum, 4-6GB recommended.

I have 1.4GB of ram active (used) just browsing the web and watching a movie. Leopard likes it's ram, the more you give it access to the more it will be happy to use to boost performance.

You should be able to buy a 2GB kit for $28 and a 4GB kit for $45.