PDA

View Full Version : Issue with G4 ibook 14" screen going black?

macbrooke
Nov 27, 2008, 06:42 PM
I just bought this used, after my 12" ibook fell off my bed and died.

I have noticed the screen goes black for no reason when I am using it...
if I close it and let it go to sleep and then re-open it .. it comes back on.
This is sooo confusing.

I am feeling a bit annoyed that the seller must have known about this and the dead battery when he sold it to me :mad:

Reflow
Nov 28, 2008, 08:43 PM
I have heard that the weak point on -books is the monitor connection through the hinge. Try looking there. Also what happens when you move the display around when it goes off. Does it come back on?

likemyorbs
Nov 28, 2008, 09:12 PM
its probably the video chip on your logic board. costs more to fix than the computer is worth, sorry to say it but i think its time for an upgrade...

macbrooke
Nov 29, 2008, 08:11 PM
I have heard that the weak point on -books is the monitor connection through the hinge. Try looking there. Also what happens when you move the display around when it goes off. Does it come back on?

Well when I move it it does not seem to do anything. If I close the computer and let it go to "sleep" and then open it again and wake it, it comes back on just fine.

Its doing it a lot actually... I had heard this can be a sensor problem?

Video chip? would there not be other signs?

macbrooke
Dec 5, 2008, 07:45 PM
I know this thread did not get many replies.. but I wanted to update.

It was NOT the logic board.. it was absolutely the power supply/adaptor I was using.

No more black screen.

kba
Dec 11, 2008, 01:38 PM
I know this thread did not get many replies.. but I wanted to update.

It was NOT the logic board.. it was absolutely the power supply/adaptor I was using.

No more black screen.

I am having a simliar issue with my ibook. It happens randomly, the black screen. Either it goes to sleep, wakes up from sleep and then its back to normal. I did recently have to get a new power adapter from Apple and I wonder if its the same thing. When it happens, the power adapter green light is still on. how did you identify the problem?