PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases iSync 1.4

MacBytes
Feb 17, 2004, 01:43 PM
Category: Apple Software
Link: iSync 1.4 now available in Software Update (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040217144301)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

MacRumors
Feb 17, 2004, 01:43 PM
Apple posted iSync 1.4 to your Software Update:

iSync 1.4 includes support for more Symbian OS smart phones and the iPod mini, as well as stability improvements.

Before you install iSync 1.4, you must install iCal 1.5.1 or later. To download the latest version of iCal, visit www.apple.com/ical.

Mudbug
Feb 17, 2004, 01:45 PM
iSync lets you manage your contacts, calendars, To Do lists, and Safari bookmarks across multiple Mac OS X computers and devices (such as an iSync-compatible mobile phone, Palm OS device, or iPod), so you always have your most current information with you. To sync a Palm OS device, you need to install the iSync Palm Conduit version 1.2 or later.

iSync 1.4 includes support for more Symbian OS smart phones and the iPod mini, as well as stability improvements.

Before you install iSync 1.4, you must install iCal 1.5.1 or later. To download the latest version of iCal, visit www.apple.com/ical.

If you are using Mac OS X version 10.3 and plan to synchronize a Bluetooth mobile phone, you need to have Bluetooth version 1.5 or later installed. To download it, use Software Update (in System Preferences). If you have an earlier version of Mac OS X, visit www.apple.com/isync to download the appropriate Bluetooth version.

denm316
Feb 17, 2004, 01:47 PM
I hope it syncs better with my Palm OS handheld I have not been very satisfied with ISync as a whole for Palm syncing.

sethypoo
Feb 17, 2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Mudbug
iSync lets you manage your contacts, calendars, To Do lists, and Safari bookmarks across multiple Mac OS X computers and devices (such as an iSync-compatible mobile phone, Palm OS device, or iPod), so you always have your most current information with you. To sync a Palm OS device, you need to install the iSync Palm Conduit version 1.2 or later.

If you are using Mac OS X version 10.3 and plan to synchronize a Bluetooth mobile phone, you need to have Bluetooth version 1.5 or later installed. To download it, use Software Update (in System Preferences). If you have an earlier version of Mac OS X, visit www.apple.com/isync to download the appropriate Bluetooth version.

In other words, stay up to date!

bennyek
Feb 17, 2004, 01:49 PM
Downloading via SWupdate

Grimace
Feb 17, 2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by bennyek
Downloading via SWupdate

Why would you post that??? Precious web space taken.... :eek:

bennyek
Feb 17, 2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by carletonmusic
Why would you post that? Why does anyone post anything. thats why this board exists. to post your comments

raynegus
Feb 17, 2004, 02:11 PM
I'm downloading via SW update too.

bennyek
Feb 17, 2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by raynegus
I'm downloading via SW update too. Good for you raynegus
Thats the spirit!!!

sickracer2015
Feb 17, 2004, 02:13 PM
another feature that wasn't mentioned:
Finally, .Mac users who sync their bookmarks can now view, edit and use them from any browser by visiting bookmarks.mac.com.

bennyek
Feb 17, 2004, 02:15 PM
I am not positive about this but haven't .mac members been able to do that for some time now. I have been using a windows machine to browse my bookmarks for months. Not sure about editing them though

Skiniftz
Feb 17, 2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by carletonmusic
Well the update may cause his mac to explode and kill him and by posting that we know the last thing he did before he died so we don't make the same mistake.

Armsreach
Feb 17, 2004, 02:20 PM
For those of us that will use this update to sync information between two computers (like my desktop at home and my laptop) I'd love to see the ability to sync my mail directory, so that I don't have to download two copies of all my mail (one to each machine). granted, I could just drag and copy my Mail folder from the library, but to include it in the process would be great. Anyone have any insight as to why this hasn't been looked at? Harder than I am assuming?

bennyek
Feb 17, 2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Skiniftz
Well the update may cause his mac to explode and kill him and by posting that we know the last thing he did before he died so we don't make the same mistake.
......Bomb explodes killing me but thankfully sparing my mac.:p

srobert
Feb 17, 2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by sickracer2015
Finally, .Mac users who sync their bookmarks can now view, edit and use them from any browser by visiting bookmarks.mac.com.

Wow! well integrated. Until I found out that I could "show address bar" I tought it was a full fledged safari plug-in. It really looks like a bookmark remote/editor. Try it if you have'nt already (The previous link did not work for me but I found it on www.mac.com) It's of limited use, unless you're accessing your bookmarks from a PC, but nice nonetheless. Never noticed that link on dotmac.

Skiniftz
Feb 17, 2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Armsreach
For those of us that will use this update to sync information between two computers (like my desktop at home and my laptop) I'd love to see the ability to sync my mail directory, so that I don't have to download two copies of all my mail (one to each machine). granted, I could just drag and copy my Mail folder from the library, but to include it in the process would be great. Anyone have any insight as to why this hasn't been looked at? Harder than I am assuming?
...but your mail is already in sync. Using iSync with mobiles for example causes multiple copies to be kept - it's the whole point.

If you only want one mail file (thus increasing the risk of data loss) then you should be able to get the desktop to use the mail folder on your laptop for mail storage if you share it on your laptop then set the desktop to use it under account preferences.

Stella
Feb 17, 2004, 02:27 PM
You've been able to do this for months and months, at least since July of last year.

ipoddin
Feb 17, 2004, 02:29 PM
so is this update for ALL OS X users? Or are those of us using the antiquated 10.2.8 out of luck just like the new Safari?

/end sarcasm

virividox
Feb 17, 2004, 02:36 PM
hmmm i just installed it i dont have any symbian smart phone or the ipod mini but i guess i wanna stay updated

Skiniftz
Feb 17, 2004, 02:37 PM
...and if you don't have .Mac, you can use my free service at http://www.mywebsitelinks.com which if I didn't know better would suspect is where they got the idea. (Tracking links for free since June 2001)

Armsreach
Feb 17, 2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Skiniftz
...but your mail is already in sync. Using iSync with mobiles for example causes multiple copies to be kept - it's the whole point.

If you only want one mail file (thus increasing the risk of data loss) then you should be able to get the desktop to use the mail folder on your laptop for mail storage if you share it on your laptop then set the desktop to use it under account preferences.

No, what I mean, is that I have a home computer. It's my main use computer. However, I take my laptop with me to school and out with me. I use a pop account run off my webserver, and if I'm at school and grab my mail, then I have the choice of deleting it from my server when it downloads, or leaving it there, and when I get home downloading the message again. Repeat for each account. Now, I could copy my mail folder over by hand, but I can do the same thing with my calendars and contact info, so I don't see that it would be that hard for them to just add that into isync. Syncronize junk mail filters, certain accounts only, etc. etc. In a multi computer household or network I could see that being at least somewhat helpful. instead of doing it by hand. Haven't downloaded the update yet (at school) so I haven't seen the functionality of syncing calendars and contacts from one computer to the other, so maybe I misunderstanding that part of this update. Ah well.

So, when are them G5 powerbooks coming out. :)

Stella
Feb 17, 2004, 02:49 PM
Tuesday 30th March, for sure :-)

dontmakemehurtu
Feb 17, 2004, 02:51 PM
:(

Skiniftz
Feb 17, 2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Stella
Tuesday 30th March, for sure :-)
What year?

iHack
Feb 17, 2004, 02:54 PM
No, what I mean, is that I have a home computer. It's my main use computer. However, I take my laptop with me to school and out with me. I use a pop account run off my webserver, and if I'm at school and grab my mail, then I have the choice of deleting it from my server when it downloads, or leaving it there, and when I get home downloading the message again. Repeat for each account. Now, I could copy my mail folder over by hand, but I can do the same thing with my calendars and contact info, so I don't see that it would be that hard for them to just add that into isync. Syncronize junk mail filters, certain accounts only, etc. etc. In a multi computer household or network I could see that being at least somewhat helpful. instead of doing it by hand. Haven't downloaded the update yet (at school) so I haven't seen the functionality of syncing calendars and contacts from one computer to the other, so maybe I misunderstanding that part of this update. Ah well.

Hey, why not run a IMAP server on your webserver? That way, your mail is stored on your server, with a cached copy in your mail app. Works great and is more secure than POP3 I believe (I'm no expert). That's what I do and I'm very happy with it.

M.

pkscout
Feb 17, 2004, 02:57 PM
No, what I mean, is that I have a home computer. It's my main use computer. However, I take my laptop with me to school and out with me. I use a pop account run off my webserver, and if I'm at school and grab my mail, then I have the choice of deleting it from my server when it downloads, or leaving it there, and when I get home downloading the message again. Repeat for each account.

Quit using a POP3 server and switch to IMAP. Then you're mail stays on the server for all your machines to access and updates the status of the messages. You can have a local cache copy if you're offline for some reason that will be updated next time you come online.

Skiniftz
Feb 17, 2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by iHack
Hey, why not run a IMAP server on your webserver? That way, your mail is stored on your server, with a cached copy in your mail app. Works great and is more secure than POP3 I believe (I'm no expert). That's what I do and I'm very happy with it.
M.
It's not more secure than POP3 as it still passes the password and mail in plain text.

You can get it to run over SSL (as I have done for my users) however you can get POP3 to use SSL too.

I suppose POP3 is more common and I have seen more sniffing tools specifically targetting POP3, however this is an academic issue.

zellin
Feb 17, 2004, 03:08 PM
Anyone seen the iSync 1.4 page? The Nokia logo is displayed quite prominently.

sjk
Feb 17, 2004, 03:11 PM
I don't think iSync should be involved with the e-mail synchronization like you're suggesting, Armsreach. That's more what offline/disconnected IMAP is designed for tho' I'm not sure if and/or how well Apple Mail supports it. I use Mulberry, the powerful cross-platform IMAP client with an arguably complicated and fugly interface, which does support it -- search for nomadic on the Mulberry testimonials (http://www.cyrusoft.com/mulberry/testimonials.html) page.

simX
Feb 17, 2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by sjk
I don't think iSync should be involved with the e-mail synchronization like you're suggesting, Armsreach. That's more what offline/disconnected IMAP is designed for tho' I'm not sure if and/or how well Apple Mail supports it. I use Mulberry, the powerful cross-platform IMAP client with an arguably complicated and fugly interface, which does support it -- search for nomadic on the Mulberry testimonials (http://www.cyrusoft.com/mulberry/testimonials.html) page.

Mail supports the IMAP protocol perfectly, so just use IMAP (and secure it over SSL if necessary), and your Mail will stay in sync without the need for iSync. Seriously, I don't think Apple needs to reinvent the wheel, here.

Synching junk mail info would be nice, though, because I think that's a local machine thing. In that case, though, you can just copy the "LSMap" file that's in your ~/Library/Mail folder to your iDisk, and then copy it again on your other computers, and then you'll have your junk mail info on your second comp, too. Not automatic, but it works.

raynegus
Feb 17, 2004, 03:25 PM
Phone number format now looks correct on the iPod. :D

But calendar items still have the annoying "12:00 AM" in front of all-day events. Oh well.

Seems to work a little faster now with iPod syncing.

aquafina
Feb 17, 2004, 03:39 PM
last time I updated iSync, I had to wait for a PalmConduit update, so for several weeks, I could not sync. Don't want to go through that again.

rikers_mailbox
Feb 17, 2004, 03:41 PM
Phone number format now looks correct on the iPod. :D

But calendar items still have the annoying "12:00 AM" in front of all-day events. Oh well.

Seems to work a little faster now with iPod syncing.

As long as we're pointing out issues. . . birthdays don't sync to iPod. Kind of annoying for those of us who are unable to remember birthdays. :)

-rik

cclifton
Feb 17, 2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by aquafina
last time I updated iSync, I had to wait for a PalmConduit update, so for several weeks, I could not sync. Don't want to go through that again.

I installed the iSync update through Software Update just now and Palm synchronization worked fine afterward with no special tweaking.

It does not look like mapping between Palm categories and iCal calendars is supported yet, but nothing seems to be broken.

YMMV

Le Big Mac
Feb 17, 2004, 03:57 PM

Isn't that a fundamental problem with pop accounts? Can't you set it to delete from server when you delete on your machine? At least that way you don't have to delete twice.

KLFloyd
Feb 17, 2004, 04:00 PM
Still no support for LG phones. :(

I use Verizon and they are strongly pushing the LG phones claiming they have better reception than even the Motorola's.

soosy
Feb 17, 2004, 04:04 PM
kinda strange you have to install iCal even if you don't use it.

aquafina
Feb 17, 2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by soosy
kinda strange you have to install iCal even if you don't use it.

lots of software (not just on Mac) leverage other packages to 1) reduce size of executable, 2) reduce supported source code, etc. This is very common.

soosy
Feb 17, 2004, 04:14 PM

Set each computer to download the mail and to automatically delete it from the server after it's a week old. So if you are out and download mail to your laptop, as long as you check with your main computer within a week, you'll have identical copies on both machines. You can adjust the time to be longer or shorter than a week as needed. You shouldn't have to manually delete the mail from the server.
Or if you don't care about having everything on the laptop, but just want to check mail with it while you are out, you can set the main home machine to delete the messages immediately. If the laptop grabs a message first, it will still wait a week for you to download to the main machine.

I don't think it makes a lot of sense to sync Mail with iSync. You are either going to be downloading the mail a second time from the mail server or else syncing/downloading the mail a second time from another machine (probably via .Mac since Apple doesn't seem to like us using any old webdav server). Either way, it's the same.

Syncing Junk rules and prefs makes some sense, but I think that would be more appropriate as a global thing to sync all application prefs. It would be most useful as a new computer transfer tool where you transfer all your settings.

soosy
Feb 17, 2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by aquafina
lots of software (not just on Mac) leverage other packages to 1) reduce size of executable, 2) reduce supported source code, etc. This is very common.

yes, but if it leverages shared code, it should be part of a system component, not part of a single application.

I don't really care as I always install it all.

russed
Feb 17, 2004, 04:36 PM
any update is a good update! :D

the joy of watching it download and install. marvelling at the gifts apple give to us every week of so!

long live softwear updates!

neutrino23
Feb 17, 2004, 04:37 PM

It would be hard to sync mail via iSync. In my case I've got close to 500MB of mail. I'm sure many others have much more.

I've done something similar to what you discussed. I had a G4 tower at home and used a PowerBook for occasional short trips. In this case I set the tower to delete mail a week after downloading. I set the powerbook to leave mail on the server. Then when I got home I simply opened mail and I had copies of everything.

If I sent something important on the road I needed to cc to myself to make sure I had a copy.

The main downside is that after a couple of weeks on the road a ton of junk mail was piling up ready to delete and all the mail was marked unread.

cubist
Feb 17, 2004, 04:44 PM
An Apple guy told me mail.app was scriptable. So, I've been hoping to write an applescript to store the mail in files, maybe foldering them by sender. Then I could sync the folders containing the archived messages. Any thoughts?

phillymjs
Feb 17, 2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by denm316
I hope it syncs better with my Palm OS handheld I have not been very satisfied with ISync as a whole for Palm syncing.

What do you find deficient/problematic?

I'm working on switching a client from Now Up-to-Date to iCal with calendars shared out via local WebDAV server, but decent Palm sync with iCal is an absolute must.

~Philly

geerlingguy
Feb 17, 2004, 05:09 PM
I'm downloading via SW update too.

And now I am, too :p

geerlingguy
Feb 17, 2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by phillymjs

I'm working on switching a client from Now Up-to-Date to iCal with calendars shared out via local WebDAV server, but decent Palm sync with iCal is an absolute must.

~Philly

He may be referring to the fact that iSync doesn't do pictures, video, memos, etc. (as iCal doesn't have this capability *yet*).

Or the fact that iSync doesn't send all the data in the Address Book to Palm devices (at least, in my experience, with Palm OS 4.1 on an m505, which won't display all the Adress Book stuff).

Whatever the case, I am sure glad I have iSync! It's much better to use iCal/Abook than Palm Desktop :)

zglass
Feb 17, 2004, 05:28 PM

Here are three problems I have with iSync:
<these are not new problems, if you peruse through previous discussions of iSync, these will quickly rise to the surface>
1. SPEED. If you have a number of contacts or events, then syncing can take over ten minutes in length (not to mention the length of time to sync to a PocketPC with Missing Sync). When compared to a Winbox, my iBook is unbearably slow (though I still use it :))
2. Flexibility to map various fields from program to program. Perhaps this is a problem of standards (by whose, though, should we abide? :P)
3. Speed. I'd be curious to do some comparative syncing with a dual-g5, but I can't imagine that its as fast as my pathetic PIII at work.

I'd rather be using iCal, Address Book, etc. But I would like to see more parity on the speed issue.

JtheLemur
Feb 17, 2004, 05:33 PM
Didn't this used to be a rumors site? ;)

bennok
Feb 17, 2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by JtheLemur
Didn't this used to be a rumors site? ;)

No.

Toe
Feb 17, 2004, 06:30 PM
Am I the only one who keeps going to http://www.apple.com/isync/devices.html every week hoping that something will change?

That's where I went as soon as I say the iSync update in my SWU. It looks a little different (did it talk about Clie's before?), but still no: Blackberry
Sidekick
Palm built-in and fully functional
Pocket PC built-inIs there at least any rumor of these in the pipeline?

I'd love to have a nice small PDA, but they're all sucky and/or expensive. The notable exceptions are Sidekicks and Blackberries.

Isn't it kinda astounding that Macs don't talk to Blackberries? The last time I looked on blackberry.com for Mac support, it was just depressing. There was a HUGE thread in a discussion board with all kinds of people asking why no Mac support. Now I don't even see that.

Whaddup?

sjk
Feb 17, 2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by simX
Mail supports the IMAP protocol perfectly, [...]Which subset of the IMAP protocol are you claiming Apple Mail supports perfectly? ;)

Pine and Mulberry are possibly the most complete and protocol-compliant IMAP4rev1 clients, yet both are unfinished and imperfect.

And the .Mac IMAP service is still lacking server extensions that have long been available in other implementations (e.g. Cyrus, UW-IMAP).

geerlingguy
Feb 17, 2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by bennok
No.

What up St. Louis? Me too!

:D

Some_Big_Spoon
Feb 17, 2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Toe
Am I the only one who keeps going to http://www.apple.com/isync/devices.html every week hoping that something will change?

That's where I went as soon as I say the iSync update in my SWU. It looks a little different (did it talk about Clie's before?), but still no: Blackberry
Sidekick
Palm built-in and fully functional
Pocket PC built-inIs there at least any rumor of these in the pipeline?

I'd love to have a nice small PDA, but they're all sucky and/or expensive. The notable exceptions are Sidekicks and Blackberries.

Isn't it kinda astounding that Macs don't talk to Blackberries? The last time I looked on blackberry.com for Mac support, it was just depressing. There was a HUGE thread in a discussion board with all kinds of people asking why no Mac support. Now I don't even see that.

Whaddup?

Apple (Steve) seems to think that people should just carry around their cell phones (but only certain models) and powerbooks/ibooks.. Doesn't take into account the many folks (namely corporate, and road warriors, and just people who do more than listen to their ipod mini) need more functionality, usability, not to mention memory, than a cell phone provides.

If Apple really was serious about isync, and getting peoples devices to intereact (AKA digital hub) they'd build in support for said devices.. that would be a killer app if I ever saw one: Just plug in your blackberry, PPC, palm, etc, and it syncs up with mail.app, or entourage, etc.

I could sell that one application, and the macs that go along with it, to dozens of companies (and their employees at home)

But instead, we have pink mp3 players `:rolleyes:

Stella
Feb 17, 2004, 08:03 PM
Pink (or any other colour) mini iPods will make more money for Apple than iSync.

Anyway, PDAs are dying, in a few years they will be no more, smart phones are the future... that is why they are supporting Symbian - the smartphone OS of the future - and the current leading smartphone OS platform. Forget Palm / MS ****e they are history.

Plug in your smartphone and you sync your PDA / Phone in one go...

Originally posted by Some_Big_Spoon
Apple (Steve) seems to think that people should just carry around their cell phones (but only certain models) and powerbooks/ibooks.. Doesn't take into account the many folks (namely corporate, and road warriors, and just people who do more than listen to their ipod mini) need more functionality, usability, not to mention memory, than a cell phone provides.

If Apple really was serious about isync, and getting peoples devices to intereact (AKA digital hub) they'd build in support for said devices.. that would be a killer app if I ever saw one: Just plug in your blackberry, PPC, palm, etc, and it syncs up with mail.app, or entourage, etc.

I could sell that one application, and the macs that go along with it, to dozens of companies (and their employees at home)

But instead, we have pink mp3 players `:rolleyes:

jero
Feb 17, 2004, 09:49 PM
downloaded via sw update.

Trowaman
Feb 17, 2004, 10:26 PM
been here, updated that.

zelet
Feb 17, 2004, 10:54 PM
Where can I find a list of devices that are thought to be coming down the pipe?

I REALLY want to be able to sync my Sanyo 8100 with iSync but it isn't supported.

I have tried Bitpim but it isn't integrated with Mail.app or iCal.

Nicky G
Feb 17, 2004, 11:11 PM
Mark/Space offers third-party extensions that allow the Hiptop, as well as Pocket PCs, to sync with iCal and Address Book, via iSync. Apple can't do EVERYTHING, some stuff third parties deal with, at least until Apple catches up. But don't say it's not possible, if you're too lazy to do a quick search on Versiontracker... Sheesh.

sdf
Feb 17, 2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by phillymjs

~Philly

I can't speak for the other poster, but I simply can't believe how slow it is (or how clunky it feels) compared to syncing with Palm's software.

ibookin'
Feb 18, 2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by zelet
I REALLY want to be able to sync my Sanyo 8100 with iSync but it isn't supported.

Buy the Sony Ericsson T608 if you desperately want to sync. It can be found on your provider of choice (I'm assuming Sprint, judging by the phone). Call 800-PCS-AUTO (either that or 888).

caveman_uk
Feb 18, 2004, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by KLFloyd
Still no support for LG phones. :(

I use Verizon and they are strongly pushing the LG phones claiming they have better reception than even the Motorola's.
It's not that hard to be a better phone than a motorola. Nearly everyone I've ever met who's had/got one tells me to never ever buy one.

mikeh123
Feb 18, 2004, 03:46 AM
Anyone know if there is a resource to find out what phones MAY be supported in the future or not.

I have a panasonic X70 which is a very new phone popular in europe with all the bluetooth goodies you need but once again in this update not a mention.

I am just wondering if it is ever going to be supported or not.

Codemonkey
Feb 18, 2004, 08:37 AM
Just to note: It could be that the in/ability of syncing devices like the HipTop/Blackberry/PocektPC is that Apple is making sure they still have an opportunity to release a device that fits in one or spans those genres. Sync everything under the sun and you give pepole a reason to not buy or at least continue using their current portable device.

And re: Motorola phones: Yes, they suck. Even the cheaparsed Audiovox phones are better.

amnesiac1984
Feb 18, 2004, 09:24 AM
Pink (or any other colour) mini iPods will make more money for Apple than iSync.

Anyway, PDAs are dying, in a few years they will be no more, smart phones are the future... that is why they are supporting Symbian - the smartphone OS of the future - and the current leading smartphone OS platform. Forget Palm / MS ****e they are history.

Plug in your smartphone and you sync your PDA / Phone in one go...

The problem with that is the support for smart phones like my sony ericsson p900 is still broken, and this is the flagship smartphone at the moment.

encro
Feb 18, 2004, 09:26 AM
Everything made by Motorola is terrible :)

Motorola: Disappointment since 1983

sdf
Feb 18, 2004, 10:39 AM

Spoken like someone who has never owned either a Palm or a smartphone.

As someone who has had both, I will never go the smartphone route again.

Stella
Feb 18, 2004, 02:30 PM
No, I haven't owned a Palm, but I've owned a Psion 5mx PDA, which was flawless. I really don't care about Palms.

Originally posted by sdf
Spoken like someone who has never owned either a Palm or a smartphone.

As someone who has had both, I will never go the smartphone route again.

Toe
Feb 18, 2004, 02:38 PM
No, I haven't owned a Palm, but I've owned a Psion 5mx PDA, which was flawless. I really don't care about Palms. That proves the point. Different people prefer different things (dontchya know). But iSync doesn't support most of 'em.

It's bad enough we're relegated to a small minority of other things... do we have to also pick from only a handful of PDAs and other intelligent handhelds?

How hard is it to get a device to exchange data with a computer? Doesn't seem like there should be much to it... should there be? When iSync came out, I was astounded by how few things it supported. The list isn't much longer now.

If a Blackberry can talk to a PC... how much engineering is required to get it to talk to an iSync conduit??

Rick Friele
Feb 18, 2004, 02:39 PM
Wasn't showing up in my software update, so I looked what version of iSync I had, and it showed as 1.4 (v132). Is this a newer version?

Codemonkey
Feb 18, 2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Toe
... few things it supported. The list isn't much longer now.

If a Blackberry can talk to a PC... how much engineering is required to get it to talk to an iSync conduit??

Actually, I think you're grossly oversimplifying things. Have you ever really watched/tried syncing a Palm with a Mac? It doesn't even do that natively through iSync - you need to install the Palm conduit, Palm Desktop, and even then it still doesn't sync everything like notes.

So, unless you were being facetious, I think that the answer to your question is a big "more engineering than you think".

:D

Toe
Feb 18, 2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Codemonkey
Actually, I think you're grossly oversimplifying things. Have you ever really watched/tried syncing a Palm with a Mac? It doesn't even do that natively through iSync - you need to install the Palm conduit, Palm Desktop, and even then it still doesn't sync everything like notes.

So, unless you were being facetious, I think that the answer to your question is a big "more engineering than you think".I don't get why it's difficult to sync with a Palm either. I must be missing something here. I have done data transfers between databases, and there's really not much to it once you have the protocols established.

All a Blackberry or Palm or whatever can do is send a bunch of data over a serial connection of one kind or another. I just can't understand why it would be difficult to parse that data stream.

I'm trying to come up with complications, but not having much luck. The worst thing I can think of is sending acknowledgements back to the device to tell it the sync went OK or something. But again, it's just a serial connection. Do these devices use some god-awful protocol that nobody can parse or something? I mean, like, don't they publish whitepapers on how to communicate with their devices? What's the problem?

Codemonkey
Feb 18, 2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Toe
I must be missing something here. I have done data transfers between databases, and there's really not much to it once you have the protocols established.

I think that's the key here, is that you think that the architecture is open on all digital devices. I'm betting (so, keep in mind, I'm not an engineer, nor an expert, just observing) that the architecture is so closed on these devices, that after lengthy (or maybe not lengthy, depending on who laughed who out of negotiations first) discussions, the only way to manipulate data between Palm devices and iSync (for example) was to bend the Palm conduit to their will. You're assuming that these deviced were "meant" for interfacing with, along the same lines as a DVD player, robotic mechanism, scanner/barcode reader, etc.

When in fact in all likelyhood no one wants you to interface with anything, to keep a lockdown on IP, Espionage, NDAs etc.

sdf
Feb 18, 2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Toe
I don't get why it's difficult to sync with a Palm either. I must be missing something here. I have done data transfers between databases, and there's really not much to it once you have the protocols established.

All a Blackberry or Palm or whatever can do is send a bunch of data over a serial connection of one kind or another. I just can't understand why it would be difficult to parse that data stream.

I'm trying to come up with complications, but not having much luck. The worst thing I can think of is sending acknowledgements back to the device to tell it the sync went OK or something. But again, it's just a serial connection. Do these devices use some god-awful protocol that nobody can parse or something? I mean, like, don't they publish whitepapers on how to communicate with their devices? What's the problem?

Apple's iSync Palm integration is bad enough that there's no way I'd trust Apple code touching my Palm without the nice intermediate layer by Palm. I hope that Apple continues to make condutis, just through Mark/Space, instead of trying to iSync directly.

encro
Feb 19, 2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Rick Friele
Wasn't showing up in my software update, so I looked what version of iSync I had, and it showed as 1.4 (v132). Is this a newer version?

It's the same version that you already have.

Toe
Feb 19, 2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by sdf
Apple's iSync Palm integration is bad enough that there's no way I'd trust Apple code touching my Palm without the nice intermediate layer by Palm. I hope that Apple continues to make condutis, just through Mark/Space, instead of trying to iSync directly. You mean you haven't tried the iSync Palm Conduit?
It's on the right sidebar on:
http://www.apple.com/isync/download/
and is mentioned in the last paragraph of:
http://www.apple.com/isync/tipsandtricks.html

Or do you mean that it just doesn't work?

powder8
Feb 21, 2004, 06:30 PM
Anyone sync to a V60i yet? I went and bought a data cable and have been trying to sync but iSync is not finding my phone. Any hints or suggestions.

Thanks

lukyface.com
Apr 19, 2004, 03:11 PM
on the list of supported motorola phones & isync they list the t720. does that mean it won't work with the t721? or are they all in the same family? anyone know anything about this? or have tried/successful/failed attempts with different motorola phones?

thanks