Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I attend a college which is on the quarter system, and in starting in the beginning of January I'll be taking 6 classes (a total of 24 units, which is double full time (3 classes/12 units is considered full time)). I use my laptop to take notes in class. The quarter system goes by so fast, that I cannot miss any class. I am horrible in taking notes by hand, as I am very slow hand writer.

This past quarter, I ordered a BlackBook 2.4 from Apple's online store, and I've had to return it twice. I'm on my third one now, which is also defective. I'll be returning it. There is no Apple Store near where I live. This has been a major waste of time.

I need a laptop for next quarter. I'll only be able to order it and receive it one day before classes start. I am scared though... scared that I'll have to fall behind in classes due to having to wait for replacement laptops to come in the mail due to poor quality control. Do you think I'll be safe ordering an aluminum MacBook? Is it highly likely I'll get a defective model, and have to keep returning it in order to get one that's perfect? What is the likelihood of that?

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
You think you're scared. The way you set up this post now I'M SCARED to recommend anything to you in the off chance you get a bad machine :)

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
We need to know more about your expectations.
Let me lists some issues that are known for the MB and I'll also tell you whether I can live with it or not, as I am also a student.

The Screen- Compared to the Air and Pro, the screen doesn't look as nice. I mainly use my computer for surfing and working, so I don't really care. In fact, I find the screen fine.
Slanted Keys- Some users find some of their function keys slanted a bit. I don't really mind, because I don't really look at the keyboard and it doesn't affect any of my typing.
Lack of Firewire- Like I mentioned before, I use it for school work and surfing and I really use USB. I have never used Firewire ever, so I don't find it an issue.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'll continue posting as soon as I find out more problems

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
California
I attend a college which is on the quarter system, and in starting in the beginning of January I'll be taking 6 classes (a total of 24 units, which is double full time (3 classes/12 units is considered full time)). I use my laptop to take notes in class. The quarter system goes by so fast, that I cannot miss any class. I am horrible in taking notes by hand, as I am very slow hand writer.

This past quarter, I ordered a BlackBook 2.4 from Apple's online store, and I've had to return it twice. I'm on my third one now, which is also defective. I'll be returning it. There is no Apple Store near where I live. This has been a major waste of time.

I need a laptop for next quarter. I'll only be able to order it and receive it one day before classes start. I am scared though... scared that I'll have to fall behind in classes due to having to wait for replacement laptops to come in the mail due to poor quality control. Do you think I'll be safe ordering an aluminum MacBook? Is it highly likely I'll get a defective model, and have to keep returning it in order to get one that's perfect? What is the likelihood of that?

Define defective.

If you tell me you returned it because the function keys are slanted or some other inane reason I will heap scorn on you.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Since you don't have a location posted in your info, I don't know the feasibility of this- but can you not just go into an Apple store and inspect the one that you would purchase? Several posters have mentioned going through several in a store (the number defined by the level of the poster's OCD) to find one that they were satisfied with.

There do not seem to be an overwhelming number of operational/hardware issues- most of the reported problems seem to be of the cosmetic variety.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Cheapest solution: Learn to write fast, or write fewer things, or just remember without writing. I know a lot of people that spend so much time on their notes but they do horrible on tests and assignments where it counts. :p

But, about your question about the Aluminum Macbooks, there are a good number of people happy with them and they seem very sleek and perform well for the price.

But if I were you, I'd just go and buy a Penryn (last generation) MBP. Goes for about 1600 now and is still incredibly powerful. Mine has no issues. Plus if you get the GPU issue, Apple promises a replacement, so rest assured.

Remember, if you have a predisposition that every product you get from Apple will have flaws in it, there is nothing that Apple can possibly do to make you happy. So yeah, just be optimistic even though you've had bad past experiences :)

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
To the Original Poster:

What are the chances that you could receive 3 defective macbooks?

If that's the case, chances are your aluminum macbook will be defective as well.

Just curious, what was wrong with them???

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I'm looking for:

• No dead pixels (not even one).
• No slanted keys
• No loose battery cover

That's not too much to ask for for $1300.

I know the viewing angle sucks, but that's not a defect. The three listed above, however, are indeed defects.

yoavcs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Israel
Is this Quest for The Perfect Mac the modern version of the Quest for The Holy Grail?

I got a MacBook. I love it. The function keys are slanted, I have a solitary dead pixel in the bottom right corner and if I really try hard I can move the battery cover 2 mm.

I still sleep soundly at night.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
I know the pain although I'm slightly less nuts about it... Taking 20 or 21ish hours. Double majoring in Engineering and English and attempting to graduate in four years = not a good idea.

Anyhow, does your bookstore on campus sell macs? I bought my Aluminum Macbook there, it had a stuck pixel and slanted keys and I was able to just exchange it for a new one two weeks later (could have done it sooner, I was just busy).

headfuzz

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Brighton, UK
I'm looking for:

• No dead pixels (not even one).

Dunno how it is in the US but here in the UK there are legal allowances for dead pixels, under which a screen is not deemed to be faulty. 13 for retail iirc. If you return a screen with under this number it's entirely at the vendor's discretion as to whether they deem it warrantable for replacement. There are other grades of lesser numbers for hospital equipment and other similar stuff, going down to zero dead pixels for military screens.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Is this Quest for The Perfect Mac the modern version of the Quest for The Holy Grail?

I got a MacBook. I love it. The function keys are slanted, I have a solitary dead pixel in the bottom right corner and if I really try hard I can move the battery cover 2 mm.

I still sleep soundly at night.

Hey, if you don't mind spending a premium of $1300 or $1600 on a defective product, then so be it. I am not that wealthy. Furthermore, since I am not that wealthy, I actually have to sell my old laptop in order to by a new one. Defective products are worth less than ones in non-defective condition. Why should I have to lose money due to Apple's greediness in terms of cutting quality control?

pyramis

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
Go light

I'm going to focus more on the practicalities of your needs than your emotions about defective products. Other posters have addressed issues of defects as well as you can expect.

If you're looking for an ideal note-taking computer and money isn't a crucial factor, go for the newest Macbook Air. The build quality is certainly held to higher standards than your Blackbook, but probably comparable to the unibody Macbook. You can also save money and go for a previous generation Macbook Air.

But if you're also looking for a computer with a little more power, the aluminum Macbooks are fast - as fast as previous generation MBPs.

I would have faith that Apple's aluminum unibody laptops (Air included) have some of the highest build quality in Apple's career. That said, there will always some horror stories. Don't be scared. Worry about your 24 units, not your imperfect keys.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Your best bet is to go pick it up and check it carefully before you buy. Ok, there is no Apple store in town, but what about authorized dealers (Bestbuy, or other smaller stores). You can call Apple to find out. It's good to know in a long run as they can do repairs in the future too.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Unfortunately with Apple he will get a free replacement. Apples customer service are far too lenient. Any other OEM would laugh you out the shop.

Unfortunately? Any other OEM would not be charging Apple's premium. You can buy a similarly spec'ed non-Apple laptop for 30-40% less. For the ridiculous premium that Apple charges, anything short of perfection is unacceptable.

Again, considering that the only way some of us can afford new laptops is to sell our old laptops on eBay, why should we settle for defective products which will significantly diminish the resale value? This is not fair to me.

descartes

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
everything has its problems if you look hard enough. just enjoy what you have and not sweat the small stuff.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Unfortunately? Any other OEM would not be charging Apple's premium. You can buy a similarly spec'ed non-Apple laptop for 30-40% less. For the ridiculous premium that Apple charges, anything short of perfection is unacceptable.

Then buy a similarly specced non Apple laptop for 30/40% less. You must think that the Mac is worth the 30/40% more or you would not be purchasing it. That doesn't mean Apple have to offer you a replacement over a dead pixel when the law states 5 pixels minimum.

I'm not going to go into why your 30/40% statement is wrong (resale value, bundled software, increased productivity), thats a debate for another thread.
Again, considering that the only way some of us can afford new laptops is to sell our old laptops on eBay, why should we settle for defective products which will significantly diminish the resale value? This is not fair to me.

Apple's quality control is far better than most OEM's. You are becoming paranoid because of forums like these, full of perfectionists who will settle for no less than perfection. PC users in my experience just suck it up and live with it. (I'm not bashing you for it, you are entitled to a good product).

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I say it's quite unlikely you'll have a defective Macbook.
I really don't see any serious issues with this Rev A as some tend to make others believe.
As someone else pointed out in other threads, the screen gets a lot better with the right calibration that suits your needs, don't you think the ones buying Pros or Airs would be kinda pissed if the screen had better blacks on the entry models?
Slanted keys, it is not definitive at all, you can solve the issue with some paper on the side they tend to sink in, and take the paper out in a while and everything will look perfect.
Loose battery cover, it is aluminum and the issue has been solved by many MR members pretty easily.
The thing is Macbooks, especially the new ones, seem to be perfect for people that are new to Macs but expect something 100x better than other PCs, they are often better in my opinion but defects happen, these new customers are often quite young as well and get pissed as f**k about pretty stupid things, I'm afraid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.