Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lscangus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Newcastle, UK
Dear friends, this is my unibody story.

First one:

loose battery cover
dented case
defective speaker
overheat

Replacement Unit
Buzzing fan
overheat when GPU and CPU are both in load
Defective spacebar

Should i get one more replacement or wait for revision B?

UPDATE!!

here is a log file created from Nvidia System Tools, that log is created while i was doing some gaming. You can download the file, no virus and look at it. It starts off from 105'C, which is UNUSUAL as a laptop, but anyway, then the fan started to spin up. Which brings down the tempeature to a non- throttling level. but still you can see the CPU keeps throttling!

UPDATE!!

Attachments

• Desktop.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 105

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
I'd try again, but this is usually why I wait on Apple products. Yes, its great having the new shiny computer, but Apple doesn't have the greatest track record either.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Typically if a replacement product of mine ends up with the same issues I will return it and not look back. As these seem like different problems I would look at getting this one fix. I don't think for the problems your getting with your current one you would really need a replacement. As for the throttling, I hope you not maxing the CPU and GPU in one of those tests, as the processor would be designed to throttle in that situation.

lscangus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Newcastle, UK
I'd try again, but this is usually why I wait on Apple products. Yes, its great having the new shiny computer, but Apple doesn't have the greatest track record either.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/29/nvidia-heat-causing-macbooks

That news makes me worried. But now i feel guilty to have so many units replaced.

Are you getting all of these from the same place? Perhaps it's a source problem -- do you have another Apple store by chance in your area?

I got them from the internet. I got my MBP last wednesday, so i wanna get back to them within these two days. Your suggestions will all be considered.

lscangus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Newcastle, UK
Typically if a replacement product of mine ends up with the same issues I will return it and not look back. As these seem like different problems I would look at getting this one fix. I don't think for the problems your getting with your current one you would really need a replacement. As for the throttling, I hope you not maxing the CPU and GPU in one of those tests, as the processor would be designed to throttle in that situation.

I got a friend using Dell doing same test, no throttling occur.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
You're paying a premium for the Apple brand, you deserve at least an equal experience, if not a premium one. Why would you even consider spending so much and accepting something subpar?

lscangus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Newcastle, UK
You're paying a premium for the Apple brand, you deserve at least an equal experience, if not a premium one. Why would you even consider spending so much and accepting something subpar?

Thats exactly what i got when i bought my first mac the 12" Powerbook back in the days.

So would you suggest me to get a replacement or get a refund and end this, possibly wait for revision B from macworld?

Angus

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thats exactly what i got when i bought my first mac the 12" Powerbook back in the days.

So would you suggest me to get a replacement or get a refund and end this, possibly wait for revision B from macworld?

Angus

Was it just like my 12" 867 which overheated and had random audio clicking issues?

Return your MBP and see how the replacement is. Mine has been perfect.

lscangus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Newcastle, UK
Was it just like my 12" 867 which overheated and had random audio clicking issues?

Return your MBP and see how the replacement is. Mine has been perfect.

I have random clicks sometimes when there isn't any music playing. for my replacement one. And the PCU throttles during intensive GPU and CPU use. But i doubt it is overheat actually, as the CPU is at 84'C. I am worried about it is some hardware design problem.

sepu

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2006
what kind of test did u do ? I just want to make sure that mine is fine ..... Thanks

lscangus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Newcastle, UK
what kind of test did u do ? I just want to make sure that mine is fine ..... Thanks

You need to go to windows side. Download the latest GPU folding at home, install and run it to max out your GPU.

And then download Prime95, use the stress test and stress the PCU out.

Get CoreTemp. Run it, and then see whether the speed of the processor starts flickering and reducing its speed.

Please post your results.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Sorry to hear the bad luck but there are good unibody mbps out there!

My 2.53ghz unibody mbp has no overheating issues and infact it runs so cool all the time even when maxing out both cpu's at 100% using visual hub and the fans going at 5800rpm is not that loud either. I remember my brother came over and heard my mbp at 100% cpu usage converting a 1080p movie using visual hub and he was like is that the sound of your fans maxed out?? Its so quiet! lol.

Also my battery cover is not lose and the speakers sound amazing, like they stuck the 17" mbp's speakers in the new 15".

Also the screen is gorgeous and the colors are so deep and the viewing angle is amazing!

I'd say just keep exchanging and you will get yours.

lscangus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2003
Newcastle, UK
Sorry to hear the bad luck but there are good unibody mbps out there!

My 2.53ghz unibody mbp has no overheating issues and infact it runs so cool all the time even when maxing out both cpu's at 100% using visual hub and the fans going at 5800rpm is not that loud either. I remember my brother came over and heard my mbp at 100% cpu usage converting a 1080p movie using visual hub and he was like is that the sound of your fans maxed out?? Its so quiet! lol.

Also my battery cover is not lose and the speakers sound amazing, like they stuck the 17" mbp's speakers in the new 15".

Also the screen is gorgeous and the colors are so deep and the viewing angle is amazing!

I'd say just keep exchanging and you will get yours.

Please try the test i have explained. My MBP doesn;t overheat when it is 100% CPU, it occurs abnormal when during 100% CPU and GPU at the same time.

Macworld 2010? No revision will occur 3 months after a launch. Get another one dude.

Fingers crossed for the 17inches.

MatLane

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
England, United Kingdom
After reading many many storys on the new unibody

I think the best computer to buy from apple if you want a good pro machine

Is the Previous Gen Macbook Pro 15' and 17' at this moment in time

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/608168/

seriously?

your throttling issue is your own impractical expectations, they're meant to throttle all the time, it saves you battery life and keeps temps down, that's the whole point of a mobile processor, to get the job done while maintaining the longest possible battery life and longevity.

your other concerns are valid, like the loose cover etc.. but there's no laptop on earth that won't throttle like that, even desktop chips throttle all the time, it's part of the advancements in technology to increase longevity while not sacrificing performance when it's not being used and to pump it up when you need it, and to of course know when to protect itself from thermal overload/heatsoak which you were purposely causing with prime95x2 and a gpu benchmark where both of those components are on the same heatpipe...

mknawabi

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/608168/

seriously?

your throttling issue is your own impractical expectations, they're meant to throttle all the time, it saves you battery life and keeps temps down, that's the whole point of a mobile processor, to get the job done while maintaining the longest possible battery life and longevity.

your other concerns are valid, like the loose cover etc.. but there's no laptop on earth that won't throttle like that, even desktop chips throttle all the time, it's part of the advancements in technology to increase longevity while not sacrificing performance when it's not being used and to pump it up when you need it, and to of course know when to protect itself from thermal overload/heatsoak which you were purposely causing with prime95x2 and a gpu benchmark where both of those components are on the same heatpipe...

this is completely correct. set your laptops power mode to 'always on' under windows and you will see that it is not throttling, and that you have no idea what you are talking about OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.