Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
Well I just ordered the Black Speck satin via the official Speck site (fyi they're also available on the Apple store but only in Red), paid for priority next day shipping so should have it tomorrow! I was holding out for whatever Incase was going to come up with, but the wait was killing me so I ordered the speck instead.

Does anybody else have one yet?

For those interested heres the link (I know a lot of people having been waiting for something like this)

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/seethru-satin/macbook-13-new-aluminum/163

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
wow, thats as useless as useless as the Nyco Coolingfilter for the PS3. The darn thing is made out of aluminum!!!! And you're gonna put some plastic over to protect that? lol. I would understand it if it was the other way around.

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
Looks cool , let us know when you get it.
any chance of some pics as well?

Will do!

wow, thats as useless as useless as the Nyco Coolingfilter for the PS3. The darn thing is made out of aluminum!!!! And you're gonna put some plastic over to protect that? lol. I would understand it if it was the other way around.

Well I cant say that I agree. I plan to re-sell my mac one day, so anything which keeps it scratch free and in mint condition surely cant be a bad thing? (or useless as you put it).

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Well I cant say that I agree. I plan to re-sell my mac one day, so anything which keeps it scratch free and in mint condition surely cant be a bad thing? (or useless as you put it).

I would like to see how these are, I really want the Incase one, but I haven't heard anything when they might come out (I thing someone once said January). I didn't like the Speck brand for the whitebook, but maybe these will be better, so I will too would like to see pics, thanks!!

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
So I received my Speck see-thru case this morning and im extremely happy with it! Installation was a piece of cake and its a GREAT fit. The textures slightly rubberized and overall it feels like a quality product.

Highly reccomended to anyone who's in the market for a hard case!

I cant help but feel Incase has dropped the ball on this occasion as I for one would of chosen their product over Speck, but after receiving my case today I have no regrets what so ever!

Attachments

• DSC00648.jpg
    DSC00648.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC00649.jpg
    DSC00649.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC00650.jpg
    DSC00650.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC00651.jpg
    DSC00651.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC00654.jpg
    DSC00654.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 257

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I'm sorry but that looks terrible. All the time people spent waiting for an aluminium MacBook and people are just going to cover up the best part with some crazy plastic?

Yuck.

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
I'm sorry but that looks terrible. All the time people spent waiting for an aluminium MacBook and people are just going to cover up the best part with some crazy plastic?

Yuck.

You're entitled to your opinion!

I prefer function over form. Its a computer not a fashion accessory!

deorg

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Miami, Florida
I try to find cases that dont look like there is a 2grand computer inside, its for protection...
well I live in a 3rd world contry so its not so secure...

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
The other thing I forget to mention is that the case doesn't restrict the tilt angle of the screen at all - It goes all the way back.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
The other thing I forget to mention is that the case doesn't restrict the tilt angle of the screen at all - It goes all the way back.

Pass Speck hard casses I saw for the Whitebook felt like a cheap plastic, and they were very clear. This one looks like the Incase one (from the whitebooks) where its not clean and looks like a "soft touch" type plastic. So how does it feel? I really like it a lot and i might get this and not wait for the Incase one.

EDIT: I wish they had a frost color.. i might get the black one if i do get this brand.

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
Pass Speck hard casses I saw for the Whitebook felt like a cheap plastic, and they were very clear. This one looks like the Incase one (from the whitebooks) where its not clean and looks like a "soft touch" type plastic. So how does it feel? I really like it a lot and i might get this and not wait for the Incase one.

EDIT: I wish they had a frost color.. i might get the black one if i do get this brand.

Exactly - its pretty much an exact copy of the old incase white macbook case. The case itself is rigid but rubbery to the touch. Its also slightly opaque so the apple logo still shines through on the back.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Exactly - its pretty much an exact copy of the old incase white macbook case. The case itself is rigid but rubbery to the touch. Its also slightly opaque so the apple logo still shines through on the back.

I'm going have to check it out then. It's cool the Macbook opens all the way still, that was 1 the only thing I hated about the old Incase brand.
Lunch time... going to see if the Apple Store in Oakbrook has any :D
Thanks for your help and posting pics.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Precisely, so why did you put it in a case? Carry it naked, let it get scratched.. "It's not a fashion accessory".

He said before he would like to resell it, and this is why I am doing this also. The better it looks in 2-4 yrs when we try to resell it, the more we will get for it. I also buy used things, but I don't want it to look used. ;)

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
So just tell the buyer it's not a fashion accessory. They should accept it just like you expect everyone else to accept it here.
:confused:

I dont expect anyone to accept anything? You must selectively read posts as I also said he's entitled to his opinion!

spitfyre

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
anyone know if they have these in the apple stores (not online) yet?

i am guarding my macbook investment like i would a penis (if i had one). it's not going in there without protection.

i want it sheathed in a thick layer of plastic so it doesn't feel anything.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005

Yuck.

You're entitled to your opinion!

I prefer function over form. Its a computer not a fashion accessory!

I agree. That looks bad. Might as well have bought a refurb BlackBook. I say a skin does essentially the same thing for resale and lets you appreciate the look. If it's not a fashion accessory, why keep it so protected. The other thing about all the Speck hardcases that is rather unfortunate is that they allow dirt to get in between the case and the MacBook which will then scratch the MacBook as it moves around. They are great for giving extra outside protection, but not for keeping it scratch free. That is where the skin really helps. The clear Speck case looks better in my opinion but still would avoid it for the same reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.