Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elevendy

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
I agree. That looks bad. Might as well have bought a refurb BlackBook. I say a skin does essentially the same thing for resale and lets you appreciate the look. If it's not a fashion accessory, why keep it so protected. The other thing about all the Speck hardcases that is rather unfortunate is that they allow dirt to get in between the case and the MacBook which will then scratch the MacBook as it moves around. They are great for giving extra outside protection, but not for keeping it scratch free. That is where the skin really helps. The clear Speck case looks better in my opinion but still would avoid it for the same reason.

Fashion accessories are meant to be shown in all their splendor. I've never seen another woman carry around her new, exclusive "it" purse in the dust bag it comes in at purchase. Or plastic wrap, for that matter. Shrugs.

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
I think this whole thing is a great contradiction. Firstly, you're protecting aluminum with plastic !!!!!! In any logical sense thats just wrong. If you were to protect something, you should protect a plastic macbook with an aluminum casing, cause plastic actually cracks.

We're talking about a metal here. So what if you get a scratch, it wont break or leak anything. Thats the whole point of the aluminum casing, you can get a scratch in it because it's more robust !!!

And why cover it up with plastic at all? You're not seeing the aluminum any longer anyways. Then the whole point is gone.

It's like, you have something in mint condition under that plastic crap, but how can you know? You've covered it up !

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
If someone wants to put a plastic over on the Macbook, so what? Why should you guys care? Why do you rip someone down just because they got a hard case and would like to protect it? Really a lot of the of the negative comments are uncalled for. I seen a lot of stuff on Macbooks that I didn't like, but if it makes the owner of that Macbook happy, that's all that matters.

I for one think it's great he posted pictures and showed it off, now other users can see it, ask questions and get ideas.

staccato83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Las Vegas
If someone wants to put a plastic over on the Macbook, so what? Why should you guys care? Why do you rip someone down just because they got a hard case and would like to protect it? Really a lot of the of the negative comments are uncalled for. I seen a lot of stuff on Macbooks that I didn't like, but if it makes the owner of that Macbook happy, that's all that matters.

I for one think it's great he posted pictures and showed it off, now other users can see it, ask questions and get ideas.

Exactly.

It looks like the case fits really well. Not necessarily my taste, but I can understand the OPs reason for putting a case on, especially if he/she wants to resell it.

Thanks for the pics OP!

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
I would like to see how these are, I really want the Incase one, but I haven't heard anything when they might come out (I thing someone once said January). I didn't like the Speck brand for the whitebook, but maybe these will be better, so I will too would like to see pics, thanks!!

I emailed them tonight, so we'll see what they say. I'll comeback and post when they respond.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I think this whole thing is a great contradiction. Firstly, you're protecting aluminum with plastic !!!!!! In any logical sense thats just wrong. If you were to protect something, you should protect a plastic macbook with an aluminum casing, cause plastic actually cracks.

We're talking about a metal here. So what if you get a scratch, it wont break or leak anything. Thats the whole point of the aluminum casing, you can get a scratch in it because it's more robust !!!

And why cover it up with plastic at all? You're not seeing the aluminum any longer anyways. Then the whole point is gone.

It's like, you have something in mint condition under that plastic crap, but how can you know? You've covered it up !

You are right. It isn't like metal dents. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen anyone as emotional about another person thinking about protecting their laptop ever on here. To each their own.

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008

You're forgetting that aluminium dents quite easily. The plastic will spread the impact from, say, a corner of the table prodding into the aluminium.

We're talking about a metal here. So what if you get a scratch, it wont break or leak anything.
Being "a metal" is utterly ignorance. There's all sorts of properties of all sorts of different metals (and alloys).

Thats the whole point of the aluminum casing, you can get a scratch in it because it's more robust !!!
Wow! You certainly need to do some research on "metals" – specifically aluminium, steel, titanium, and different alloys, be they alumunium, steel, titanium, or bronze.

Oh, so now the "whole point" is to look good in the eyes of some? I thought you just said that the "whole point" was that aluminium was tougher than plastics (which in it's own right is ignorant)?

Read his bloody posts.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
im waiting to get one in clear, i wont buy the satin because i know that the "rubber" coating will wear off. plus i still want to see the nice silver aluminum color.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
im waiting to get one in clear, i wont buy the satin because i know that the "rubber" coating will wear off. plus i still want to see the nice silver aluminum color.

Good point... I'm considering that option myself, more and more. I LOVE the feel of the Aluminum, but I like to keep my stuff looking nice (screen protector on my LG Dare, plastic case on Ipod, etc). I would probably consider getting a clear case since it would still allow me to see the beauty of the Alu.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
This is very ironic. People shell out loads of money for the newer aluminum and then cover it up. And then make some BS excuse of using "clear cases" to see the beauty.... :confused: Apple spent so much into R&D for the aluminum unibody and you want to cover it up? Argh. Use it, get a few scratches, things will age no matter how many ugly pieces of junk and money wasters. oops sorry, i meant to say "cases", it will age eventually. just like you will age eventually no matter how much botox you use.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
This is very ironic. People shell out loads of money for the newer aluminum and then cover it up. And then make some BS excuse of using "clear cases" to see the beauty.... :confused: Apple spent so much into R&D for the aluminum unibody and you want to cover it up? Argh. Use it, get a few scratches, things will age no matter how many ugly pieces of junk and money wasters. oops sorry, i meant to say "cases", it will age eventually. just like you will age eventually no matter how much botox you use.

The wonderful thing about FREEDOM is that YOU don't HAVE to understand ANYTHING that somebody else does :D To each their own..

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
Apple spent so much into R&D for the aluminum unibody and you want to cover it up? Argh. Use it, get a few scratches, things will age no matter how many ugly pieces of junk and money wasters. oops sorry, i meant to say "cases", it will age eventually. just like you will age eventually no matter how much botox you use.

No he can't just use it, obviously! His MacBook is now in mint condtion. You just can't see it ;)

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008

i think your the only one here not wanting to take care of his things.
maybe some people here wasted all their money on the new macbooks and want to protect them?

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
I emailed them tonight, so we'll see what they say. I'll comeback and post when they respond.

As promised, here is there response:

Hello Luke,

Thank you for contacting Incase Designs Corp.

Our popular 13" and 15" Hardshell Cases are in the process of being
reworked to provide a custom fit to the new notebooks.

However there is no official release date we hope around mid January.

As of right now this is all the information we have in regards to your question.

Keep checking our website for updates and information regarding new
products for the new MacBook family.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
The Incase Consumer Support Team

kierennyc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
NYC
Whoooa...

Some people need to chill out - Its only a damn case!

Thanks to everyone who thanked me for photos, etc. You're welcome.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Have you noticed any change in the running temperature of the MB?

That's my only problem with these cases. The aluminum unibody was designed to be a heat sink for the entire computer ... to let heat dissipate from the laptop.

If I were to get one of these, I would only use it on the lid. And I would get the clear plastic. i would be afraid of overheating if I put the plastic over the bottom case.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
As promised, here is there response:

Hello Luke,

Thank you for contacting Incase Designs Corp.

Our popular 13" and 15" Hardshell Cases are in the process of being
reworked to provide a custom fit to the new notebooks.

However there is no official release date we hope around mid January.

As of right now this is all the information we have in regards to your question.

Keep checking our website for updates and information regarding new
products for the new MacBook family.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
The Incase Consumer Support Team

I liked my Incase for my Whitebook, but hated that it didn't open as it should. The Speck brand ones from the Whitebooks were clear and cheap looking and now they have that "silk" feeling like the old incase AND they let the Macbook open all the way, I might get one now
Thanks for this info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.