Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ashowkati

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
So Apple revised their MacBook Air lineup on October 19, dubbed "Revision B". However customers have experienced massive delays (beyond the promised "2-3 weeks") with the new base model: $1799/1.6GHz/2GB/120GB, but specifically any model configured with the (spinning disc) 120GB HDD. To the point that I don't believe that there isn't a single Rev. B HDD MBA in the wild. Even more so that Apple is starting to send customers of said configuration their orders with free upgrades to SSD, just to get it to them (as obvious in a couple other threads in this forum).

It is obvious that the delay is due to some kind of problem Apple is having with those HDDs on the production end. Now Mr. :apple: Jobs stated in Macworld '08 that the MBA uses the same HDD that is used in the iPod Classic. From what I've gathered, it seems like that HDD is plenty for iPod firmware, yet not powerful enough for the more complex OS X.

I just placed my order today and my shipping date is Dec.26 (exactly 3 weeks) and the delivery date is Dec.31. Basically I'm trying to figure out what Apple is going to do about this issue, and how long will it take them. It is still purchasable online. Will they take the whole line back to formula? Or will they just stall as much as it can then send me an SSD upgrade? Not that I'm thinking wishfully or anything, just curious.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I ordered myself the lowest end Rev. B MBA too. I placed my order on Nov. 23rd and my Air is shipping to me the 19th of Dec.
I honestly don't know what will happen for my or other MBAs like these or for what's going on over there at Apple. I have read that some people have been bumped up to SSDs for free. I have checked my order status but nothng has changed from HDD to SSD. We'll see what happens. But I am very eager for my Air. :)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'm in the UK, and my boss has just ordered a HDD MBA too from Apple in Regent Street. We've been told that none are available.

:confused::confused:

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
The HDD supplier isn't making enough production last I heard. And for those, that could order the HDD ones and are on hold for a while had the chance for free SSD upgrade. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The HDD supplier isn't making enough production last I heard. And for those, that could order the HDD ones and are on hold for a while had the chance for free SSD upgrade. :)

Really?????

Does this apply in the UK too?

I wouldn't expect a free SSD upgrade. It is possible but not probable and to buy now online and expect to be upgraded may lead to disappointments.

My issue is I can't depend on the supposed ship date and due to me moving house 1/1, I am stuck with waiting it out or paying for the SSD model ... an item I simply don't need.

h1d

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
I just heard some people actually got a free upgrade, but I don't know how you could even apply to it anymore or how many got the free upgrade.

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
The Apple store in Willowbend in Plano, Texas has a display unit. When I asked they said they had both models in stock. Problem is the floor model had a bad screen.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The Apple store in Willowbend in Plano, Texas has a display unit. When I asked they said they had both models in stock. Problem is the floor model had a bad screen.

I'd challenge this. There aren't floor models out yet either. If you go back a screen shot would be great. Gives us "waiters" a glimmer of hope that this model will exist. :)

ashowkati

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

nph said:

Yeah I also challenge it. At the Valley Fair Apple store. They are using a Rev.A base model at $1599 in place of the new one.

Quick way to check quick rev url looking at... The new ones have the mini display port ( more square shaped). The old ones have mini dvi (looks like USB).

descartes

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
people are lucking out getting the ssd upgrades. may be worth ordering one and hoping for the upgrade.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Well there is some kind of backup as the Apple Store online indicates.

1.6 GHz MBAs ship in 2-3 weeks while the 1.86 GHz MBAs ship within 24 hours...

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Any one ordered prior to Nov 23? I am just curious to know the delivery date.

In other words, any one with delivery dates prior than Dec. 19 for the base rev B?

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

mhnajjar said:
Any one ordered prior to Nov 23? I am just curious to know the delivery date.

In other words, any one with delivery dates prior than Dec. 19 for the base rev B?

Ordered mine right on Nov. 23rd and it's supposedly coming Dec. 19th.
MBA Rev. B 1.6GHz 120 SSD.

Kan-O-Z

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
people are lucking out getting the ssd upgrades. may be worth ordering one and hoping for the upgrade.

I think the way this works is that if Apple gives you an estimated wait time like 2-3 weeks and it ends up being like 4+ weeks then you may qualify for something. I do think they will come in right around Xmas or 1st week in Jan....which would disqualify you from a free upgrade as it's close enough to the window they are giving.

Kan-O-Z

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
I will take a pic at Willow bend tomorrow and post it later. I even asked and the guy came back after checking the stock and said they had both models in stock. I did a 'about this mac' and it stated 120G Hard Drive...
;)

mhnajjar

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Will do. I'm in exam period right now with some heavy courses so that's taking my mind off the wait at least!

I am in a similar situation with my courses but that isn't holding me from thinking of my Air since I really hope it is going to be a winner this time after trying hundreds of rev A :(

Racerdog55

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2006
Lumberton, Tx.
Shipping

I ordered my 1.86 with 128GBSSD and a super drive, from the Apple Online Store Thursday night and I got a Fedex tracking # Friday morning with a delivery date of Tuesday Dec. 8.

ashowkati

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I ordered my 1.86 with 128GBSSD and a super drive, from the Apple Online Store Thursday night and I got a Fedex tracking # Friday morning with a delivery date of Tuesday Dec. 8.

Yeah that sounds about right. The problem is definitely with the 120GB HDDs. I'm wondering weather they are really backed up or if the HDDs are faulty and they don't want MBAs exploding in customers laps. The fact that they seem not to exist suggests the latter. I wish we had an inside source... (cue anonymous post :D)

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA

ashowkati said:

Yeah that sounds about right. The problem is definitely with the 120GB HDDs. I'm wondering weather they are really backed up or if the HDDs are faulty and they don't want MBAs exploding in customers laps. The fact that they seem not to exist suggests the latter. I wish we had an inside source... (cue anonymous post :D)

True, I wish we did have an inside source, because I would, and all of you would like to know the 100% truth of what's going on with these HDD MBAs.
I chatted to an Apple person using the online store chat. Instead of gettng an, "I don't know at this time," I got, "There is a great demand for these spec. MBAs." Yeah...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I will take a pic at Willow bend tomorrow and post it later. I even asked and the guy came back after checking the stock and said they had both models in stock. I did a 'about this mac' and it stated 120G Hard Drive...
;)

Pretty sure he is wrong. Five Apple stores have proven to have completely mindless staff who really do not know what they're doing in terms of this model MB Air. I'm fairly certain you're mistaken and you didn't see a 120GB HDD model. If you did then it would be a miracle as Apple themselves have said no stores have them yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.