PDA

View Full Version : iSight 1.0.2 Firmware Update


MacRumors
Feb 19, 2004, 06:50 PM
Apple has posted the rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/02/20040217014826.shtml) iSight Firmware Update (1.0.2) to your Software Update:

The iSight 1.0.2 update provides improved auto exposure and auto white balance functionality, enhanced IIDC compliance and better overall performance. The iSight 1.0.2 update is recommended for all iSight users.

SoGood
Feb 19, 2004, 06:53 PM
Uneventfully installed. The colour balance seemed better. My room is no longer as blue as before. Nothing obvious otherwise.

Makosuke
Feb 19, 2004, 06:54 PM
It'll be interesting to see if this resolves some of the iSight/other Firewire device conflicts that people have been having so much trouble with.

Any brave souls willing to give it a crack and take one for the team?

JohnGillilan
Feb 19, 2004, 06:54 PM
I dont understand how iSight has firmware. Is it just a patch for iChat, or is it an updated driver?

Freg3000
Feb 19, 2004, 06:59 PM
I was going to ask how SW would know if I had an iSight or not. It doesn't-it showed up even though I do not have an iSight. What the heck, I installed it anyway. :)

qgrayson
Feb 19, 2004, 07:00 PM
...but iSight still doesn't play well with iMovie 4.

JohnGillilan
Feb 19, 2004, 07:05 PM
Here is a before and after shot. After is definitely less blue. The color seems better overall.

patmcfar8
Feb 19, 2004, 07:21 PM
Ran the update and it may be a placebo effect, but the color does seem better. Other than that nothing major. I'll hook up with a buddy tomorrow and see if anything else has improved.

Bob Knob
Feb 19, 2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by JohnGillilan
Here is a before and after shot. After is definitely less blue. The color seems better overall.

Nice work on the before and after examples.

I also did a before and after test between two iSights and computes at my office, the white balance is much better.

applemacdude
Feb 19, 2004, 07:41 PM
Cool and it doesnt mess with UT 2004 Demo anymore...

geerlingguy
Feb 19, 2004, 07:47 PM
So... is anybody else in the camp that is hoping for the iSight to come down $50 in price sometime in the next year or so? I would definitely buy this thing for $99, but I don't see any justification in the $149 price :(

I don't know anyone who has bought one of these yet, even though they think that the iSights are really cool, and even more so with iChat AV. I personally would use it when I do web videos, because I don't need the best of quality... But, until then, I'll have to settle for my Sony DV cam.

brhmac
Feb 19, 2004, 07:50 PM
I guess people are giving this thread a negative rating because Apple didn't include a FREE iSight with the software update? :rolleyes:

patmcfar8
Feb 19, 2004, 08:03 PM
Geerlingguy~

I've had an iSight at work for a month now to do some minor video conferencing. It truly is amazing and easy. I'm going to buy one for home as soon as I can get my buddy to get one as well. I'm also thinking about buying my parents one.

Think of it as a free long-distance, video-phone. ;)

IMHO, not bad for $150.

ZildjianKX
Feb 19, 2004, 08:15 PM
I'm scared to install this, especially since the last time I updated my iPod, I couldn't downgrade it when it had bugs... and there is no previous firmware available to downgrade for the isight.

Anyone ever read the few websites ranting that the iSight is racist, and that its auto-white balancing was optimized for caucasians? I think its kind of silly actually.

Edit - Woah! It works so much better in low light now!

SoGood
Feb 19, 2004, 08:24 PM
Yes, I also resisted buying an iSight for a long time until last week, when I voice chatted with my family at home from my hotel room in CA. Given the internernational long distance and the duration, it easily paid for the $9.95 in-room hotel broadband access. The family was so impressed that I plonked down my CC at the local AppleStore the next day. The strong AUD made the purchase that much less painful too.

geerlingguy
Feb 19, 2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by patmcfar8
Geerlingguy~

I've had an iSight at work for a month now to do some minor video conferencing. It truly is amazing and easy. I'm going to buy one for home as soon as I can get my buddy to get one as well. I'm also thinking about buying my parents one.

Think of it as a free long-distance, video-phone. ;)

IMHO, not bad for $150.

Yeah, but, besides the coolness factor, why pay $50-$100 more than those cameras from the other companies? I don't see *that much* difference in quality, and the iChats only have the advantage when it comes to direct iMovie import (which I hear has problems).

geerlingguy
Feb 19, 2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by SoGood
Yes, I also resisted buying an iSight for a long time until last week, when I voice chatted with my family at home from my hotel room in CA. Given the internernational long distance and the duration, it easily paid for the $9.95 in-room hotel broadband access. The family was so impressed that I plonked down my CC at the local AppleStore the next day. The strong AUD made the purchase that much less painful too.

Sometimes I wish the US dollar fluctuated to a greater degree, just for excitement (and for cheaper products).

But, then I realize that with the good times come the bad... :(

SoGood
Feb 19, 2004, 08:33 PM
So the big remaining question is what's "improved IIDC compliance"? What does it get for us end users? PC compatibility? Other 3rd party IM client compliance? Anyone tried yet?

rotorblade
Feb 19, 2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by JohnGillilan
I dont understand how iSight has firmware. Is it just a patch for iChat, or is it an updated driver?

From the installer:

About iSight Updater
The purpose of the iSight Updater application is to install new software onto your camera.

Install The install command installs new software onto the iSight.

ratspg
Feb 19, 2004, 08:49 PM
I like the color balance more, makes me wonder how i thought the older firmware was top-notch... oooh apple has its ways. lol

Sol
Feb 19, 2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Anyone ever read the few websites ranting that the iSight is racist, and that its auto-white balancing was optimized for caucasians? I think its kind of silly actually.

Edit - Woah! It works so much better in low light now!

How is the iSight image distorted if a non-caucasian appears in it? Is there any distortion then it should be a user-choice in the Firmware application.

I would like to see iChat allow for real-time QuickTime effects. Imagine if the user could change the colour, supper-impose text and graphics and dissolve to other video sources. If enough jaws hit the floor then video like that would sell a lot of Macs.

DaveGee
Feb 19, 2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by SoGood
So the big remaining question is what's "improved IIDC compliance"? What does it get for us end users? PC compatibility? Other 3rd party IM client compliance? Anyone tried yet?

Found on the 1394ta.org web site...

Topic: IIDC v1.3 Spec


The purpose of this document is to act as a design guide for digital camera makers that wish to use IEEE 1394 as the camera-to-PC interconnect. Adherence to the design specifications contained herein do not guarantee, but will promote interoperability for this class of device. The camera registers, fields within those registers, video formats, modes of operation, and controls for each are specified. Area has been left for growth. To make application for additional specification, contact the 1394 Trade Association Instrumentation and Industrial Control Working Group, Digital Camera Sub Working Group (II-WG DC-SWG).


..edit..

Hmmm now that I've re-read that and think about it...

Why would Apple bother to "improved IIDC compliance" in the first place?

The iSight already works on Mac hardware and OS X right? So what would have been the reason/need to 'improve IIDC compliance'?

The right side of my brain says this means nothing
The left side asks... Could a PC version of AV-iChat be in the works? :D

Dave

SoGood
Feb 19, 2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks Dave. I did a quick search of Google but didn't come up with something as specific.

Sounds like that iSight may achieve greater interoperability with those PC IM clients. If confirmed, I'll try to set up my wife's work PC with something compatible. :)

timbloom
Feb 19, 2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by DaveGee
Found on the 1394ta.org web site...

Topic: IIDC v1.3 Spec



..edit..

Hmmm now that I've re-read that and think about it...

Why would Apple bother to "improved IIDC compliance" in the first place?

The iSight already works on Mac hardware and OS X right? So what would have been the reason/need to 'improve IIDC compliance'?

The right side of my brain says this means nothing
The left side asks... Could a PC version of AV-iChat be in the works? :D

Dave

Considering that this fixes the conflict with Unreal Tournament 2004, the standards compliance was worth it. I read somewhere that the iSight didn't reply as expected to certain requests, and the audio stream was non-standard.

DaveGee
Feb 19, 2004, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by SoGood
Thanks Dave. I did a quick search of Google but didn't come up with something as specific.

Sounds like that iSight may achieve greater interoperability with those PC IM clients. If confirmed, I'll try to set up my wife's work PC with something compatible. :)

I just added to my post...

If I'm reading that IIDC stuff right...

I *think* IIDC 'deals with' how camera hardware connects (via 1394) to a device and/or how the OS of said device 'looks for' and/or 'speaks with' the 1394 camera.

If I'm right then I'm just not sure why Apple would bother adding/improving IIDC support when the iSight already works with the firewire in Apple's computers as well as OS that runs on the computers that the iSight is intended / designed to connect to.

Hmmm could be a lot of things I guess... Maybe it was the improving of IIDC that in turn improved the color or performance of the iSight...

But I'm always a sucker for a good juicy 'what if'

Dave

DaveGee
Feb 19, 2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by timbloom
Considering that this fixes the conflict with Unreal Tournament 2004, the standards compliance was worth it. I read somewhere that the iSight didn't reply as expected to certain requests, and the audio stream was non-standard.

Ahhh okay then that makes it pretty clear... Thanks! Even if you did drop a bomb on my whole PC A/V iChat dreams... ;)

Dave

jared_kipe
Feb 19, 2004, 09:31 PM
What are you talking about placebo, this update makes the color MUCH MUCH better, especially in low light. I (and my girlfriend) used to have to have a lamp right behind the isight to show up well when the sun went down. I don't really tihnk of it as bad lighting, but it isn't like daylight. With the update I can turn that light off and still see myself. And even better, I'm not white/pale blue anymore, I'm a nice fleshy color.
Oh and if Apple ports iChat to windows I will be both happy and majorly pissed, why else did I just spend $700 on an emac and isight for my girlfriend??

amberashby
Feb 19, 2004, 09:42 PM
Much, much better in low light. "It's like night and day." I couldn't resist. :D

Nermal
Feb 19, 2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
I was going to ask how SW would know if I had an iSight or not. It doesn't-it showed up even though I do not have an iSight. What the heck, I installed it anyway. :)

Same, I always install updates for stuff I don't have, just in case I ever do get an iSight/iPod/Bluetooth/whatever else I've installed updates for. That way, I don't need to worry about getting updates once I actually have the device :)

andyduncan
Feb 19, 2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Sol
How is the iSight image distorted if a non-caucasian appears in it?

The iSight auto color balances, in an effort to make the picture look better. The problem is, you have no idea what the color SHOULD look like, because it could be used in a wide variety of situations.

Therefore, the engineers have to guess at a "right" color. I havent heard the comments you were referring to but I can imagine people were complaining because they thought the "guessing" was based on the assumption that you had a big white face in the middle of the shot. Having a big brown face in the middle of the shot would have then made the camera adjust to compensate, which could have made said big brown face look really odd.

The reality is it did a pretty crappy job at all of the different colors of faces. Everyone looked odd.

The new firmware makes my big white face look MUCH better (well, to a point, there's only so much you can do with what you are given). As soon as my friends with big brown faces update their firmware, I'll let you know how it went.

TiBook1ghz
Feb 19, 2004, 10:36 PM
No placebo here, greenish hues went to orange now, before EVERYTHING had a green white balance, now it is a strong orange. Took pictures myself to prove this. Overall it makes people more truer to their skin tones. Quite impressed!

Winged Youth
Feb 19, 2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Sol
How is the iSight image distorted if a non-caucasian appears in it? If there is any distortion then it should be a user-choice in the Firmware application.

I would like to see iChat allow for real-time QuickTime effects. Imagine if the user could change the colour, supper-impose text and graphics and dissolve to other video sources. If enough jaws hit the floor then video like that would sell a lot of Macs.

Many of those things can already be done. By the wonderful program Evocam (http://www.evological.com/evocam.html).

I use it for webcam features and live streaming. With superimposed, alpha-channel text, colors, picture-in-picture, aftereffects-like filters, etc.

robotrenegade
Feb 19, 2004, 11:14 PM
Looks good.

buddha
Feb 20, 2004, 12:14 AM
Just to warn you,

I installed the new firmware and I've had some pretty bad problems. Sometimes the colors totally freak out, but mainly the whole picture is overrun with green, blue, and black...

That, and the pic is bouncing some too.

Sometimes works, but mostly it hasn't worked.

Before update, no problems at all like this.

chubad
Feb 20, 2004, 01:31 AM
I just installed it and it made a HUGE improvement to the color balance. It totally got rid of that sickly green cast that it had before.

WM.
Feb 20, 2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by DaveGee
Ahhh okay then that makes it pretty clear... Thanks! Even if you did drop a bomb on my whole PC A/V iChat dreams... ;)
Not sure if you've been living under a rock or what ;) , but AIM 5.5 for Windows was announced last week, with video chat compatibility with iChat AV, and in the MacCentral article about it they quoted an AOL (or maybe Apple) executive saying that the iSight would work with AIM on Windows.

So this has already happened, except it's AIM instead of iChat. There were some reports that the iSight wasn't always working properly on Windows, and my guess is that this improved IIDC compliance fixes those problems (or at least makes them better).

WM

simply258
Feb 20, 2004, 02:49 AM
I bought an iSight a few days ago and I'm impressed. I never tried to on iChat >< AIM yet, but works great in Yahoo Messenger. I think it's even better than iChat cuz I can leave it on all the time (broadcast mode) and anyone on my list can turn it on and view it at anytime :) I remember hearing that Yahoo video on Mac only works with Mac contacts, but apparently works with PC users too. So I don't know why all the fuss over AIM compatibility when there always was Yahoo.

danbirchall
Feb 20, 2004, 03:08 AM
As a photographer, I *really* notice the white balance improvement. Previously, I looked very "blue-green" under fluorescent lighting (which is what happens to be in the room where the Mac with the iSight lives). Now, I'm a healthy shade of pink (okay, I went to the beach today...). Very true-to-life fleshtones now.

ipacmm
Feb 20, 2004, 06:16 AM
nice color balance improvement

sdf
Feb 20, 2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by danbirchall
As a photographer, I *really* notice the white balance improvement. Previously, I looked very "blue-green" under fluorescent lighting (which is what happens to be in the room where the Mac with the iSight lives). Now, I'm a healthy shade of pink (okay, I went to the beach today...). Very true-to-life fleshtones now.

I, too, notice that I'm now a healthy shade of pink. The main problem I see is that I don't look anywhere near theat healthy IRL.. :)

Raveny
Feb 20, 2004, 06:29 AM
did you ever have 30 fps with an alubook 1.25 Ghz on ichat av. The connection type is secondary. On the ichat site the system requirement for full quality is a dual 800 Mhz G4. I want to know if my powerbook ist faster then that.

The update is very good. The colours are much crisper and I am not pale anymore...

Photorun
Feb 20, 2004, 07:44 AM
Wow, you know the rumor mill is slow when iSight Firmware is the top story for 24 hours on macrumors.

davecuse
Feb 20, 2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by WM.
Not sure if you've been living under a rock or what ;) , but AIM 5.5 for Windows was announced last week, with video chat compatibility with iChat AV, and in the MacCentral article about it they quoted an AOL (or maybe Apple) executive saying that the iSight would work with AIM on Windows.

So this has already happened, except it's AIM instead of iChat. There were some reports that the iSight wasn't always working properly on Windows, and my guess is that this improved IIDC compliance fixes those problems (or at least makes them better).

WM

iChat AV Public Beta 2.1 supports video conferencing with AIM 5.5, and you can download it now.

http://www.apple.com/ichat/

davegoody
Feb 20, 2004, 09:50 AM
Assuming you have a OHCI compliant FW card in your PC and it is running XP it should all work ok - though you will need a separate microphone as the one in the iSight will only work with a Mac. One more good reason to use a Mac to be honest - not that you need too many excuses to switch !;) ;) ;)

ZildjianKX
Feb 20, 2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by davegoody
Assuming you have a OHCI compliant FW card in your PC and it is running XP it should all work ok - though you will need a separate microphone as the one in the iSight will only work with a Mac. One more good reason to use a Mac to be honest - not that you need too many excuses to switch !;) ;) ;)

LoL, that is like saying a good reason to switch to windows is that MS never wrote a mac driver for a MS made PC device.

AJN
Feb 20, 2004, 02:26 PM
Great update, but is it just me or does the isight now no longer compensate for text reversal? i.e. when you hold up a sheet of paper it does not show the text reversed... it does now... im sure it didn't show reversed text before?

UPDATE - the text is OK in iMovie and other video apps?? - maybe it is the iChat AV 2.1(Beta) that has changed it?

WM.
Feb 20, 2004, 02:56 PM
Daves:

Yes, there is a new version of AIM that's compatible with iChat 2.1, and yes, the iSight is supposed to work with AIM 5.5 on Windows. But there were some reports that it wasn't working, so I was speculating that perhaps this firmware update has made the iSight work more reliably on Windows machines.

WM

riots
Feb 20, 2004, 04:47 PM
Installation was very smooth for me. Colour balance is definitely better, but the biggest improvement is in low light. It used to be hopeless working with just an ordinary room light, but now is quite acceptable.

visor
Feb 20, 2004, 05:42 PM
Honestly, I was a little upset with the color performance of my isight recently. Me all winter white sitting with a white t-shirt against a white wall wan't especially spectacular to view. well at least not good spectacular. the new colors are much better, esp. in low light environments. Gives a great deal of new self conciousness ;)

but then again, the sun was shining all day...

visor
Feb 20, 2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by AJN
Great update, but is it just me or does the isight now no longer compensate for text reversal? i.e. when you hold up a sheet of paper it does not show the text reversed... it does now... im sure it didn't show reversed text before?

UPDATE - the text is OK in iMovie and other video apps?? - maybe it is the iChat AV 2.1(Beta) that has changed it?

Quite true, ichat has a 'mirror' mode that appears when you click on your own isight. it shouldnt be in mirror mode when chatting with others though ;)

rdrr
Feb 21, 2004, 11:37 AM
I still see a slightly over-weight balding middle-aged gnome looking back at me when I plug in my iSight. The 1.02 firmware still didn't fix this. I am outraged at Apple's decision to portray me in this fashion! I think I am going to start a class action suit against them for my pain and suffering. :p

SoGood
Feb 22, 2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by rdrr
I still see a slightly over-weight balding middle-aged gnome looking back at me when I plug in my iSight. The 1.02 firmware still didn't fix this. I am outraged at Apple's decision to portray me in this fashion! I think I am going to start a class action suit against them for my pain and suffering. :p
Shocking! That's more than anyone could possibly expect from Apple, to be able to turn a grossly over-weight, completely balding middle-aged man with more wrinkles than an octogenarian into something quite decent, good enough to attract way too many spunky teenager girls during online chats. :P

LoadRunner
Feb 22, 2004, 05:40 PM
I wounder if the isite smart anuff to use a color correction sheet.

bobman
Feb 23, 2004, 03:59 AM
Previously plugging the iSight into my PC resulted in a jumpy, unwatchable image and lots of color problems (high contrast, etc.). Unusable.

With this update, the camera works flawlessly on both my 400Mhz Pismo and my Pentium PC! Amazing what standards compliance can do...

surfsofa
Feb 23, 2004, 06:22 AM
I was hoping this patch would fix a problem I've been having on my Quicksilver 867 where when I plug my ipod in with the isight already connected the ipod behaves really strangely - shows incorrect battery status and takes an age to download songs. Basically, the two devices don't play together so the isight has to be physically disconnected before the ipod will work correctly.

Am I alone? Anyone know of another fix for this?

RepoMan23
Feb 23, 2004, 08:50 AM
Because she is worth it!!!:)