Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thtsohan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
Hello,
My mom is running OS 9.1 on a 400 mhz G3 powerbook. Just recently it has started to freeze very frequently. Often it freezes when she tries to shut it down or start up Outlook. I was just wondering where I should start to look to try and fix it.
At shut down she is able to open the pull down menus, but as soon as she clicks on the option to shut down it freezes. The cursor is still mobile, but nothing else responds.

Thanks in advance,

thtsohan

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
There could be several things causing this problem. Firstly, it could be a corrupt preference, but I think this is unlikely. Temporarily moving your preferences folder will show whether it is this or not. Another cause could be extension conflicts. Try disabling any third party extensions and control panels and see if that helps (This solved a stability problem I had when running 8.6 a couple of years ago). Failing that, try some disk utilities to see if there's anything wrong with your disk. Hopefully one of these will solve the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.