PDA

View Full Version : Screen flickering on MBA Rev B

AndiG
Dec 7, 2008, 12:37 PM
First I wasn't quite sure about the issue, but sometimes I thought my MBA display was flickering. Then I found this thread
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....77617&tstart=0

Does your screen flicker too, when you watch this pattern ?
http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~lucas/background.html

Apple has just deleted this thread, there were lots of replies. Sad story...

Ironic
Dec 7, 2008, 12:51 PM
Nope no flicker.

AndiG
Dec 7, 2008, 12:53 PM
Nope no flicker.

interesting, did you set your brightness to full ? Otherwise it won't become obvious...

Ironic
Dec 7, 2008, 01:27 PM
Yep I keep brightness always to max.

lincolnchee
Dec 7, 2008, 06:27 PM
interesting, did you set your brightness to full ? Otherwise it won't become obvious...

You can ignore Ironic's reply. He is one of the few who received a perfect unit but makes no contribution to the threads except to tell others that he has no problem and encourage people to take the risk to go get one.

Ironic
Dec 7, 2008, 06:34 PM
You can ignore Ironic's reply. He is one of the few who received a perfect unit but makes no contribution to the threads except to tell others that he has no problem and encourage people to take the risk to go get one.First he asked me a question, an I don't have any flicker on the test page, also yes get one as we have seen it is not all that common, many here have perfect MBA's, the one we should ignore is you, you are running around yelling"the sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

Yes, I doubt its that big of a problem maybe 50 people max, of the thousands they sold, you just try to start problems.:rolleyes:

sychee
Dec 7, 2008, 06:40 PM
Didn't you check the poll and the thread "Thin Horizontal Lines on Rev 2 MBA?" before you purchase? People are sharing their experiences and trying their best to determine the cause.

Ironic
Dec 7, 2008, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=sychee;6726856]Didn't you check the poll and the thread "Thin Horizontal Lines on Rev 2 MBA?" before you purchase? People are sharing their experiences and trying their best to determine the cause.[/QUOTE That was locked after a few would continue to fight I asked the Mods to close it as it was nothing but whining , many here have no issues, why flame people for answering a question?

I said nothing wrong and I bet this will be locked too!

sychee
Dec 7, 2008, 06:57 PM
Just wondering if you have checked on the poll and the post by frifra (#527). Please do not make falseful claim when you have no proof or whatsoever. At least we have a poll for reference at the moment.

AndiG, please do not be worried. I am sure Apple will response to this.

Mod, please close this thread !!! Thanks.

h1d
Dec 7, 2008, 07:51 PM
50 max? Oh... right, those 50 must be well scattered right at the Apple store. The staff are good at choosing the only few defective ones available to be put right at their store. And all the blogs and slashdot and forum posts are made out of the only precious 50 units out there. Must be as good as treasure hunting, especially for those who keep getting defective displays after exchanging, you should tell them to buy lottery instead. So, either Ironic stops posting or we stop poking him or he will ruin the thread out of fact less post. Funny you think we started the problem, I say, Apple did. (And your spams trying to hide this defect, which so far, only looks funny and again funny you are the one that told the moderator to close the thread when you've been the problem.)

Ironic
Dec 7, 2008, 09:08 PM
50 max? Oh... right, those 50 must be well scattered right at the Apple store. The staff are good at choosing the only few defective ones available to be put right at their store. And all the blogs and slashdot and forum posts are made out of the only precious 50 units out there. Must be as good as treasure hunting, especially for those who keep getting defective displays after exchanging, you should tell them to buy lottery instead. So, either Ironic stops posting or we stop poking him or he will ruin the thread out of fact less post. Funny you think we started the problem, I say, Apple did. (And your spams trying to hide this defect, which so far, only looks funny and again funny you are the one that told the moderator to close the thread when you've been the problem.)Read the thread again, I said nothing wrong at all and you want to attack me, I hope it does get closed, I just don't think it widespread there are more like me that thinks it just a few, everyone has a opinion and I am using mine

tommi80
Dec 8, 2008, 06:57 AM
I tried four different MBAs and every MBA was flickering when showing this pattern. (I am getting headache when using these screens)
My MBP and my iMac show this pattern rock solid.

ercanbas
Dec 8, 2008, 08:54 AM
First I wasn't quite sure about the issue, but sometimes I thought my MBA display was flickering. Then I found this thread
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....77617&tstart=0

Does your screen flicker too, when you watch this pattern ?
http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~lucas/background.html

Apple has just deleted this thread, there were lots of replies. Sad story...

First, thank you for the link to the screen flicker test.
I did not notice any 'flickering' however I do have the thin horizontal lines. Perhaps some video of your 'flickering' would help us better understand the issue you have.

Thank you again,
E

MH01
Dec 8, 2008, 09:04 AM
Its useful having a link to that pattern.

I will try at home.

As for stats. For a person to go to the effort of posting on a forum there must be thousands of actual defects in the real world. Most people do not check things like this. This is not an isolated case.

And lets not rule out that some people eye sight is better then others :) Some will never ever have these issues ;) .

Cynicalone
Dec 8, 2008, 09:37 AM
No flicker here. No lines on the screen.

The early 08 and late 08 have a slight difference in the display, but it is so minimal that without me setting them side by side I wouldn't notice.

tommi80
Dec 8, 2008, 10:10 AM
No flicker here. No lines on the screen.

The early 08 and late 08 have a slight difference in the display, but it is so minimal that without me setting them side by side I wouldn't notice.

Which week number does your MBA have?
So if you compare the testpattern[1] side by side with your Rev. A MBA, there is no difference in the flickering?

[1] http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~lucas/background.html

Ironic
Dec 8, 2008, 10:18 AM
Wow they thought i was just saying that, a few others also have no flickering.

Indydenny
Dec 8, 2008, 12:45 PM
Sold my rev A MBA this week and purchased the 1.86, 128SSD in Columbus, OH yesterday; so can't compare the two.

BUT, the new MBA has some serious flickering. The screen is beautiful but going to the link posted above showed just how much flickering there really is.

My MB 2.4 has NO flickering when going to the same link. I like the MBA but I think I should return this one and use the MB. Maybe I'll wait until this has been resolved to purchase again.

BTW, there are many things I like about the MBA but the alum. MB is really nice and this comparison has made me appreciate the size and power of it. (Although the screen in the MBA is noticeably better.)

I took some video with Snapzpro of the flickering and will post if I get a chance.

AndiG
Dec 8, 2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks for your replies. I've read the thread about the thin lines - I think that I don't have this problem, or I just don't see it.
I've heard Apple is working on a patch or at least a statement for the flicker problem.

Cynicalone
Dec 8, 2008, 01:29 PM
Which week number does your MBA have?
So if you compare the testpattern[1] side by side with your Rev. A MBA, there is no difference in the flickering?

[1] http://www.csse.uwa.edu.au/~lucas/background.html

There is no flickering on the early 08 model or late 08 model sitting on my desk side by side. What I do notice is a slight difference in the display's. I don't know the best way to describe it, I would say the late 08 model is slightly bluer if that gives you any idea. I know that is not a very good description but it's the best I can come up with. The only camera I have here with me right now is a lowly 7 mega pixel Sony so it doesn't take a good enough pic to really see the difference.

Ironic
Dec 8, 2008, 01:35 PM
I was asked to post my info.

Lumpydog
Dec 8, 2008, 01:53 PM
All:

One thing to consider as you test the image to see if there is flickering - are you using flourescent lighting in the room?

When I used that test image in the Apple store, on a Rev B MBA, there was a LOT of flickering. Afterwards I wondered if the store's ambient lighting (flourescent) was worsening the flickering.

Food for thought - I could be wrong. I'll test this tonight - I have flurescent lights in my basement.

tommi80
Dec 8, 2008, 02:01 PM
All:

One thing to consider as you test the image to see if there is flickering - are you using flourescent lighting in the room?

When I used that test image in the Apple store, on a Rev B MBA, there was a LOT of flickering. Afterwards I wondered if the store's ambient lighting (flourescent) was worsening the flickering.

Food for thought - I could be wrong. I'll test this tonight - I have flurescent lights in my basement.

I tried both. And it was flickering in both cases.

Ironic
Dec 8, 2008, 02:24 PM
no light on for me, just window light

tom1971
Dec 8, 2008, 02:30 PM
I was asked to post my info.

Could you post the actual file ?

thanks !

Indydenny
Dec 8, 2008, 02:34 PM
Mine flickers steadily in any kind of light. But I must admit that I can't see it except for that particular link.

Should I return it immediately or wait for awhile to see what "fixes" might come along? Thanks

hayduke
Dec 8, 2008, 02:48 PM
Mine flickers. Faint lines too. Neither bothers me too much. Not sure that I'll do anything, but I wish neither were a problem.

Ironic
Dec 8, 2008, 02:52 PM
Request. Test Image.

StefanR.
Dec 8, 2008, 02:59 PM
I am very happy, spend 2500, in words: two-thousand-fife-hundred

no four finger swipe

flickering screen what gives me eye burning and headache

grey horizontal lines

since I bought it sooo cheap, all no problem to me.

tommi80
Dec 8, 2008, 03:00 PM
Mine flickers steadily in any kind of light. But I must admit that I can't see it except for that particular link.

Should I return it immediately or wait for awhile to see what "fixes" might come along? Thanks

I returned my two MBAs. I had trouble concentrating and I got headache when doing work with it.

n8236
Dec 8, 2008, 03:03 PM
Bad screen inverter, get it replaced. If not, turn off the auto-dim feature on your screen by going to Preference and Display.

tom1971
Dec 8, 2008, 03:23 PM
Request. Test Image.

Hm, maybe you misunderstood me.
I was referring to you posting the actual color profile file.

Thanks !

Indydenny
Dec 8, 2008, 03:30 PM
Bad screen inverter, get it replaced. If not, turn off the auto-dim feature on your screen by going to Preference and Display.

OK -- But what will that do? I'm not tracking.

Ironic
Dec 8, 2008, 03:47 PM
Hm, maybe you misunderstood me.
I was referring to you posting the actual color profile file.

Thanks !you were not the person who requested it :(

tom1971
Dec 8, 2008, 04:21 PM
ok, sorry. Could you post the color profile file ?

Ironic
Dec 8, 2008, 04:23 PM
ok, sorry. Could you post the color profile file ?

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a4f6518f0f9740b1d2db6fb9a8902bda

frifra
Dec 8, 2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks Ironic.

I was just wondering what are the grey/black lines (horizontal) which i can see on the picture?

robeddie
Dec 8, 2008, 04:47 PM

Same here. I've got a 1.86 SSD late 2008 model. I do see the flickering with this image. I also saw it on every macbook air in the perimeter Apple store. I did NOT see it on the macbook pro, but I DID see it on a macbook unit.

I just think various LCD's are produced differently, and it doesn't necessarily mean they're 'defective'.

Think about it, if you 'only' see the flickering on this test image, honestly why worry about it!?!!?

It kind of reminds me of the joke where the guy goes to the doctor and says 'doctor, it's hurt's when I do this', and the doctor says 'well, don't do that.'

As long as you otherwise enjoy the screen, which I do, why the heck are we worrying about whether one certain test image produces flicker?

alphaxono
Dec 8, 2008, 04:57 PM
I would love to ignore the flickering but in my case I get a big headache after 5 min.

Thanks Ironic for posting the file.

My MBA is in service but can anyone verify if the color profile does help?

ntrigue
Dec 8, 2008, 05:02 PM
I'm sorry to those having issues with their Apple products. In previous years we were able to buy Apple with much more confidence.

I purchased mine for $2049 on eBay and it is 100% flawless.

sychee
Dec 8, 2008, 05:09 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a4f6518f0f9740b1d2db6fb9a8902bda

Thanks. Notice that your colors are pretty dark.

Ironic
Dec 8, 2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks Ironic.

I was just wondering what are the grey/black lines (horizontal) which i can see on the picture?
its the test picture, for flickering. I can take a picture of the forum screen, it has no lines but hard to take a pic. I have 15 profiles, if you need some,

h1d
Dec 8, 2008, 08:17 PM
I guess his dad finally took control of the computer :D

Ironic
Dec 8, 2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks. Notice that your colors are pretty dark.
I have others, about
30 in all.

StefanR.
Dec 9, 2008, 12:07 PM
Think about it, if you 'only' see the flickering on this test image, honestly why worry about it!?!!?

why? easy, most people get eye burning and headache after some time, even if you dont see the flickering. you dont see it, but the eyes have to "work" "focus" more....

robeddie
Dec 9, 2008, 02:17 PM
why? easy, most people get eye burning and headache after some time, even if you dont see the flickering. you dont see it, but the eyes have to "work" "focus" more....

Perhaps. But I'm wondering ... could the 'flickering' simply be the result of the frequency of the monitor combined with that pattern?

I work in video production, for instance, and if someone you're interviewing has just the right pattern on his shirt, you'll get what is called a moire effect. Basically the same thing you're seeing in that pattern, i.e., the lines on the guys shirt appear to be jumping around ... 'flickering'.

If that's the case, with a certain pattern (thinner, closer lines perhaps) you you may also be able to produce a 'flickering' effect with a Macbook pro... or any other LCD screen for that matter. Just find the 'right' pattern that sync's with it just right.

It simply doesn't make sense to me that, if that flicker is always there, (and it is QUITE noticable on that pattern) why wouldn't I notice it AT ALL on ANY other background????

Flame me for being skepical if you will, but that's my take.

alphaxono
Dec 9, 2008, 03:34 PM
I've seen that on TV.

Sounds logical but does not explain why I don't see the image flickering on my Macbook or why I get a headache from looking at the MBA screen.

frifra
Dec 9, 2008, 03:43 PM
Perhaps. But I'm wondering ... could the 'flickering' simply be the result of the frequency of the monitor combined with that pattern?

I work in video production, for instance, and if someone you're interviewing has just the right pattern on his shirt, you'll get what is called a moire effect. Basically the same thing you're seeing in that pattern, i.e., the lines on the guys shirt appear to be jumping around ... 'flickering'.

If that's the case, with a certain pattern (thinner, closer lines perhaps) you you may also be able to produce a 'flickering' effect with a Macbook pro... or any other LCD screen for that matter. Just find the 'right' pattern that sync's with it just right.

It simply doesn't make sense to me that, if that flicker is always there, (and it is QUITE noticable on that pattern) why wouldn't I notice it AT ALL on ANY other background????

Flame me for being skepical if you will, but that's my take.

Somehow you might be right. But this picture or test image was not created for the MBA, it was already used to show that there is a problem with the former MBP? or Powerbook? displays. Further I can see the flicker as well on a total light green screen, just not as much as on the test image. And if I change the resolution and the size of the pic, the lines in the picture change, but the flicker stays. And if people get headaches and burning eyes, it might show as well, that there is some flickering.
But the flicker is in my view not that much a hardware issue, or lets say I more believe that this can be fixed through software.
The problem are the faint lines (kind of grey dirty screen), which really seem to be a hardware issue, not fixable through software.

alphaxono
Dec 9, 2008, 03:56 PM
I've read somewhere that people had horizontal line issues with the Macbook Pro as well. Apple is getting ready to issue an OS Update before Christmas with over "100 bugfixes" according to Appleinsider.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/08/over_100_fixes_coming_in_mac_os_x_10_5_6_update.html

A couple of the fixes are regarding Display issues. So hopefully this is not a hardware defect but a software defect.

But this does not explain why many users are reporting screens with no lines.
On the other hand out of 3 people at the Apple store 2 could see the lines when I showed them the problem and one guy could not see it.

robeddie
Dec 9, 2008, 04:12 PM
I've seen that on TV.

Sounds logical but does not explain why I don't see the image flickering on my Macbook or why I get a headache from looking at the MBA screen.

Guessing, and that's all I have ... is that the macbook screen runs on a slightly different frequency , has a slightly different pixel density than that of the Macbook Air. Like I said in my previous post, I'm guessing you could create a 'flickering' effect with any LCD screen, using a pattern that had thinner/thicker lines etc., it would be a slightly different pattern for different LCD's. It just so happens this pattern is one that causes the 'moire' effect with this current MBA screen.

As far as headaches - again I could only guess. But causes other than the supposed 'flickering' could include...

- the MBA screen is so much brighter and more vivid than other laptop screens you've used, and you're not used to it

- you are simply spending more time than ever on your notebook since you got you're brand new $2700 macbook air (including taxes)

<or> maybe the headaches are caused by,

- vexing constantly over what 'may' be wrong with that Macbook Air you spent 2,700 hard earn dollars on (including taxes).

- an undiagnosed brain tumor.

Really, the possibilities are endless. In the case of that last guess, I think all others would join me in hoping that it is, in fact, a flickering screen.

Ironic
Dec 9, 2008, 04:32 PM
Guessing, and that's all I have ... is that the macbook screen runs on a slightly different frequency , has a slightly different pixel density than that of the Macbook Air. Like I said in my previous post, I'm guessing you could create a 'flickering' effect with any LCD screen, using a pattern that had thinner/thicker lines etc., it would be a slightly different pattern for different LCD's. It just so happens this pattern is one that causes the 'moire' effect with this current MBA screen.

As far as headaches - again I could only guess. But causes other than the supposed 'flickering' could include...

- the MBA screen is so much brighter and more vivid than other laptop screens you've used, and you're not used to it

- you are simply spending more time than ever on your notebook since you got you're brand new $2700 macbook air (including taxes)

<or> maybe the headaches are caused by,

- vexing constantly over what 'may' be wrong with that Macbook Air you spent 2,700 hard earn dollars on (including taxes).

Really, the possibilities are endless. In the case of that last guess, I think all others would join me in hoping that it is, in fact, a flickering screen.

I spend 10 hours a day online, I could not imagine having a headache from the screen as long as I am on, I ordered a new 12" HP touchscreen once, and the from the minute i got it, I had eye issues, it was the coating on the touchscreen, I returned it.

I think the problem is more in the coating, or a easy fix.

alphaxono
Dec 9, 2008, 04:36 PM

You might be right here, but why do I not get a headache at the Movie Theatre?

Spent a total of 3 hours with the Air. Wish I could hold it now.

Already did that before I got the Air. Macrumors helped quite a bit.

Hope not...I just bought Applecare

ducatidoc
Dec 10, 2008, 12:19 AM
i also have flickering. running an extended desktop, its easy to spot in comparison to its neighboring lcd.

doesnt give me a headache though. not sure if i really care since it doesnt bother me.

thankfully, i do not have the lines (or cant see them)

frifra
Dec 10, 2008, 08:11 AM
@ ducatidoc

Which Week is yours? Which screen? Which set up are you using?

Cheers!

Ironic
Dec 10, 2008, 08:43 AM
@ ducatidoc

Which Week is yours? Which screen? Which set up are you using?

Cheers!
whith all the info have you came to any conclusions?

frifra
Dec 10, 2008, 10:55 AM
whith all the info have you came to any conclusions?

Ironic, I am just trying to figure out, how to get rid of the problem (as apple doesnt seem to do this at the moment). I would be lucky and more than happy, if everything would just be a software issue. But nobody has been reporting so far, that he could, in any way get rid of the flickering or more importantly, the faint lines.

So far, I have no conclusions, as my question wasn't answered yet.
Although I have to add, that it would be very unlikely, that lets say 5 MBA, with the same screen, same options and same week etc. of production are having an issue, except for 1. This would more lead me to the conclusion, that some laptops are more affected than others, but all are affected and some users might just not recognise it. :cool::apple:

Ironic
Dec 10, 2008, 11:54 AM
Ironic, I am just trying to figure out, how to get rid of the problem (as apple doesnt seem to do this at the moment). I would be lucky and more than happy, if everything would just be a software issue. But nobody has been reporting so far, that he could, in any way get rid of the flickering or more importantly, the faint lines.

So far, I have no conclusions, as my question wasn't answered yet.
Although I have to add, that it would be very unlikely, that lets say 5 MBA, with the same screen, same options and same week etc. of production are having an issue, except for 1. This would more lead me to the conclusion, that some laptops are more affected than others, but all are affected and some users might just not recognise it. :cool::apple:

From the posted pic, how not can you see it but I do agree many might look past it, I hope they find a cure soon,
I wish we knew how many are bad?

Has anyone wrote to the executive offices of Apple?

ducatidoc
Dec 13, 2008, 09:11 PM
Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir2,1
Serial Number: W884402N5L9

for the LCD...
Manufacturer: 00000610
Model: 00009C9A
Serial Number: 00000000
Manufacture Date: C2486575

frifra
Dec 14, 2008, 01:16 AM
Would fit my assumption, that (most) of the good ones were produced in week 43/44: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6755798&postcount=30

(or you are just blind :D :rolleyes: just kidding)

6SSD4
Dec 14, 2008, 01:19 AM
To me it really looks like the 9C9A has no thin lines. Most happy users are carrying that number.

m21
Dec 14, 2008, 09:50 AM
I purchased my mba 128 ssd about a week ago before reviewing the discussion threads commenting about the flickering issue and / or thin lines. This is the first apple computer I have had since a IIe when I was a kid.

As with a number of other folks, I can see faint thin lines and the screen did not pass the flicker test link as presented by the original poster. My wife says she cannot see them for the most part, however, she can see them easier on a grey backround. I will note it is not overly apparent (i.e. I see them every time I am looking at the screen), but they are there (unless my eyes are going, which could be the case).

I believe the manufacture date of my mba is week 47 based on the SN for those who are compiling. Additionally, I have the same LCD manufacturer, model and manufacture date as poster ducatidoc.

At this point, I am not sure what I am going to do with respect to returning as it sounds like the issue is not resolved whether repair is attempted or a new one is issued. I still have 7 days to decide, however, I am not sure what type of hassle it will be with the local apple store where it was purchased. (i.e. I take it in and tell them there are lines when you stare into the screen and present the flicker test page to show the issue). They may tell me I am nuts on the lines and there doesn't appear to be any other issues with the flicker other than when I pull the test page up. I am also not to keen on paying a restocking fee to return altogether.

I am probably going to start with the apple care tech and see how widespread the issue has been reported to date and see what they say.

wisestar
Dec 15, 2008, 09:55 PM
Can anyone tell if the 10.5.6 update solved the flickering problem as well as the grey line (I hope!)?

mhnajjar
Dec 15, 2008, 10:01 PM
Can anyone tell if the 10.5.6 update solved the flickering problem as well as the grey line (I hope!)?

No fix!

wisestar
Dec 15, 2008, 11:03 PM
No fix!

Not Even the Flickering issue?

mhnajjar
Dec 15, 2008, 11:33 PM
Not Even the Flickering issue?

The flickering is even occurring on the UniB MBP I am typing this on. I guess it is normal since these things depend on the resolution where the flickering won't happen if you were using the same resolution that patter was created at.

For example, I do not see it on my 24" iMac.

ducatidoc
Dec 16, 2008, 02:14 AM
went to an apple store today to check out the cinema display. checked for the flickering and the display worked fine. when i told the sales rep what i was doing, he seemed intrigued and asked me to show it to him on an mba. the mba in the store had the lines and flickering.

at least the word is getting out....

YOKOJP
Jan 9, 2009, 05:49 AM
has anyone found a solution for the flickering screen?

thanks.

hodgeheg
Jan 9, 2009, 08:22 AM
FWIW, I have 1.6GHz HDD Rev B air bought last week (and loving it - after the horror stories I'm finding it fast, and running cool even when watching long videos (flash and iTunes/Quicktime)).

Just tried the test page and yes it flickers, however I have not detected any flicker anywhere else, so I don't really have a problem. I'm usually very sensitive to and easily annoyed by any screen issue, particularly flicker, but here I seem to be OK!

In general the screen is very nice. Far better than my White MacBook, which has horribly visible dithering all over the place.

Sorry if this is covered already - don't have time to read whole thread - but might this be down to frame rate control in a particular model of LCD panel? My panel model is 00009C90, manufacturer 00000610, manufacture date C2486D00 and serial number 00000000 (odd?), in case any of that means anything to anyone.

All in all, I'm happy with this as a replacement for my white macbook.

Also FWIW, and again, apologies if I missed something as I've not read the rest of the thread, but I really didn't see the problem with Ironic's reply - he was asked a question and answered it!

PS. no difference in fluorescent lighting or natural light or in the dark even.

Indydenny
Jan 9, 2009, 09:27 AM
Just tried the test page and yes it flickers, however I have not detected any flicker anywhere else, so I don't really have a problem. I'm usually very sensitive to and easily annoyed by any screen issue, particularly flicker, but here I seem to be OK!

My question is this: Since the screen DOES show the flickering on the test page, does that mean it is flickering constantly and I just can't see it (therefore potentially causing eye distress or headache)? OR is the flickering only happening on certain graphic images where the frequency, combined with the type of image, may be the culprit?

Not sure I understand this, but if there is problem with constant flickering, it seems that it CAN'T be good.

I have the Macbook 2.4 and will be passing one of the laptops onto a co-worker. Like the screen in the Air much better, (and of course the size) but need to understand the flickering issue.

If this might be a health/eye issue, we will want to return the Air for another Macbook and not pass it along. Apple has been silent as far as I can tell.

Thanks

mhnajjar
Jan 9, 2009, 12:06 PM
hodgeheg, do you have the "LINES"? :D

hodgeheg
Jan 9, 2009, 01:48 PM
hodgeheg, do you have the "LINES"? :D

I don't think so. On some very light but not white backgrounds I sometimes get a glimpse, but only when I'm looking for them with my head two inches from the screen, and it's faint enough I'm not sure even then.

I used to have a G4 final model 15" powerbook (the 1.67GHz 1440x960 model) which had lines that were quite clear - all of those had them as far as I can tell - though I got used to them. It's certainly nothing as clear as that.

AIUI the fact that one image flickers doesn't necessarily mean the screen is always flickering. All screens update, and most 6bit per channel TN panels (which I'm guessing this is, though I can't see it on test images) use FRC instead of or as well as dithering, i.e. switching between colours, which if you were sensitive enough might be perceived as flicker.

I don't really understand how moiré etc work, but when I used to use CRTs you could have a rock-steady image generally (my monitor had 120Hz refresh) but still have a flickery effect on certain patterns.

6SSD4
Jan 9, 2009, 02:38 PM
My Rev A does also flicker, but I don't really care as I only notice when I try.
I did get headaches to begin with, but these have not accoured the last week, so it might have been something else. I'm not trying to get it changed though, as I might end up with a more serious problem, and this one doesn't even affect me much.

mhnajjar
Jan 9, 2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks hodgeheg.

The flickering is not an issue to me also since it only flickers on the linked pattern on this thread and the flicker is there on every MBA wether revA or revB. I even saw it on a unibody 15" MBP. It was not there on a WMB which does not have LED. This made me think that it appears on LEDs and that this pattern is suitable for non LEDs only.

However, the lines are the big issue since they are there as lines of dust/dirt hurting the eye after 15 minutes of work on the new Airs. For some reason, I noticed them on the revAs that are available on display also.

Either later revA share the same screen with revB or that Apple is having a wiring issue with their assembly since they disappear when hooked up to an external monitor.

justit
Jan 9, 2009, 07:41 PM
You can dramatically reduce flickering from the test pattern by calibrating the MBA or using other profiles.

ducatidoc
Jan 9, 2009, 08:21 PM
bad news. i have the lines. didnt notice them at first, but BAM!! one day there were there and i havent been able to ignore them since. sigh...

took it to the apple store, where we examined 3 other airs (two revB and one revA) and all had them. they basically said they could do nada to fix the lines.

darn mapple.

mhnajjar
Jan 9, 2009, 08:41 PM
bad news. i have the lines. didnt notice them at first, but BAM!! one day there were there and i havent been able to ignore them since. sigh...

took it to the apple store, where we examined 3 other airs (two revB and one revA) and all had them. they basically said they could do nada to fix the lines.

darn mapple.

Is Mapple issuing you a refund? You might wanna contact Steve Mobs about that :D

I am glad that you are supporting me on the fact that even revA are getting infected with the lines. Now, we have to consult the Simpsons about Mapple and find out what is wrong with these screens :eek:

ducatidoc
Jan 10, 2009, 01:57 AM
yeah problem is i dont want a refund, just a nice clean functioning screen. and there's the rub -- if apple doesnt have any "good" screens, how can i expect them to switch mine out?

one thought would be to try a macbook screen on my air, but i am not in the mood to void TWO warranties and transplant my gf's display on my mba.

as for the folks that say they have a good screen, well, i thought mine was good to until one day i could see the lines. not sure if they just appeared over time or if this was just my lack of attention/ability to see them, but after having overlooked the lines i can see how many mba owners also miss them.

mhnajjar
Jan 10, 2009, 02:31 AM
I guess you are better off getting full refund until they fix this issue in a newer patch hopefully instead of having them replace your screen on your lovely new Air later on.

pstoehr
Jan 10, 2009, 06:30 AM
Hi,

I did it!
Today I bought an MBA 1.8 SSD.
The monitor is grat, no lines and no flickering (even with full brightness) ;-)

I'm absolutely happy :)

Peter

nph
Jan 10, 2009, 11:14 AM
What screen model do you have 9c9A or 9C90?
Or maybe something else where they fixed the screen?

Thanks

mhnajjar
Jan 10, 2009, 02:17 PM
Hi,

I did it!
Today I bought an MBA 1.8 SSD.
The monitor is grat, no lines and no flickering (even with full brightness) ;-)

I'm absolutely happy :)

Peter

I am happy to hear such great news. However, would you please do your tests in the dark and double check. In addition, the screen model and production of the machine would reallly help.

Regards and congrats :)

pstoehr
Jan 10, 2009, 05:07 PM
Hi everyone,

even if it is more or less total dark in my room I don't see these flickering effects.

How do I get the information about the screen model?

Peter

nph
Jan 11, 2009, 12:42 AM
Go to Display
Open Profile
Scroll down and second last item list the manufacturer and model of the screen

mhnajjar
Jan 11, 2009, 01:40 AM
That is line 13

pstoehr
Jan 11, 2009, 02:53 AM
Hi,

mine is a "00009C9A" model and the date is "C2486D00".

Peter