Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
This makes me wonder a lot about what I've seen in the few museums I've been to. I read somewhere that a lot of the pieces, both art & historical, that we see in museums are indeed fake.

story here

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
You'd think they'd be certain before plunking down that much cash... Hey, I believe my G5 is a DaVinci original... I'll let you have it for only $50,000! ;)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Luckily the art that I own was purchased directly from the artist. So all my collection is real.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
25 experts think it is real. One who didn't agree went to the press. That doesn't convince me.

I designed some artwork that hangs proudly on the wall at our house. I drew it freehand, scanned it, scaled it, vector traced it, sent it to a plastic shop, and had them cut it out of acrylic. So I know who the artist is. Unless a really clever forger was impersonating me when I did all this!

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Doctor Q
25 experts think it is real. One who didn't agree went to the press. That doesn't convince me.

I designed some artwork that hangs proudly on the wall at our house. I drew it freehand, scanned it, scaled it, vector traced it, sent it to a plastic shop, and had them cut it out of acrylic. So I know who the artist is. Unless a really clever forger was impersonating me when I did all this!

Yeah... I don't get what the fuss is about...
Most say its real... go with the 25 people...

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
Maybe that's not the whole story...

I remember here in LA a few years ago, the Getty museum got an expensive 2000 year old Greek statue on consignment. After many months and more than a few experts had examined it, they determined that it was genuine and paid the seller.

Some *expert* in Europe saw a picture of it and immediately determined that said Greek statue was a fake.

How come he was right - keeping in mind that he only saw a pic - and the other experts who examined it up close and in person were wrong?

Simple, he said that the headgear that said Greek statue was sporting wasn't available until a couple of hundred years after said statue was supposedly sculpted.

Needless to say when the Getty tried to contact the seller he had disappeared with their money - around ten million dollars if I remember correctly.

The bottom line - Nobody know everything, period!!!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I wondered if absolut_mac's story was an urban legend, so I asked someone who studied art history and follows art news. Sure enough, the Getty was fooled when it bought the Greek statue. Sorry for doubting you, absolut_mac!

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
No probelm

Sorry for doubting you, absolut_mac!

Hey, no problem. When in doubt, always try and find out.

The only time I have a problem with anyone who doubts me - or anyone else for that matter - is when they are ignorant on that subject and make absolutely no effort to find out.

Unfortunately too many of the above around these days!!!

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
1) There was a painter during WWII that was an acknowledged forger and quite a master at faking Rembrants and similar paintings. His paintings are very valuable today because they are rare hard to tell from authentic old masters. He lived the high life in Vichy France selling fakes to Germans and escaped prosecution for collusion by claiming he was ripping them off.

2) Who cares if its authentic as long as it is pretty?

*shrug*

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by MongoTheGeek
1) There was a painter during WWII that was an acknowledged forger and quite a master at faking Rembrants and similar paintings. His paintings are very valuable today because they are rare hard to tell from authentic old masters. He lived the high life in Vichy France selling fakes to Germans and escaped prosecution for collusion by claiming he was ripping them off.

2) Who cares if its authentic as long as it is pretty?

*shrug*

ah some people have to have the original even if the 2ed one is good.

Its a statis thing...

Who knows, maybe the British gallery wanted to publize this, but with this ONe person who says is itsn't maybe they can't claims its real?

:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.