PDA

View Full Version : Dog freezes to sidewalk

MattG
Dec 8, 2008, 10:44 PM
http://blogs.dogtime.com/the-news-hound-blog/by-tag/border%20collie

Instead of arresting her, they should leave HER stupid ass out in the 6-degree cold for a night, see if she makes it.

Most dogs have nice winter coats, but it doesn't mean they're comfortable in the cold -- especially in the frigid Midwest.

A woman in Sheboygan, Wis., was arrested last weekend after she left her 11-year-old Border Collie mix outside in 6-degree weather. The dog, named Jiffy, was frozen to the sidewalk overnight before rescuers freed him with the help of warm water.

Police arrested the 59-year-old owner of the dog on suspicion of animal neglect. She told police that she tried to get the Jiffy inside but was unsuccessful because he is 50 pounds overweight. Officials at the Sheboygan County Humane Society described him as "morbidly obese."

Although it was Jiffy's weight that put him in that predicament, it is probably also what saved him. Because he is too heavy to walk, he could not be helped inside. But his extra layers of fat probably kept him alive until help arrived.

A neighbor called police after the dog had been stuck to the pavement for 12 hours.

There's a lesson here for all of us. If it's too cold for a human to be outside, chances are a dog feels the same way. Simple logic -- but unbelievably, some people just can't figure it out.

SkyBell
Dec 8, 2008, 10:47 PM
...How exactly did it freeze to a concrete sidewalk?:eek:

GSMiller
Dec 9, 2008, 08:53 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. He would have laid in the same spot for hours to be able to freeze to the ground like that, maybe that would explain why he is obese.

And I'm sorry but no matter what the temperature is, my animals are not coming inside with me.

MattG
Dec 9, 2008, 08:55 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. He would have laid in the same spot for hours to be able to freeze to the ground like that, maybe that would explain while he is obese.

He's obese because she overfeeds him. If you can't take care of your animals properly, you shouldn't be allowed to keep them. Period.

And I'm sorry but no matter what the temperature is, my animals are not coming inside with me.

How compassionate of you. Maybe you'll be on the news next.

dukebound85
Dec 9, 2008, 09:06 AM
He's obese because she overfeeds him. If you can't take care of your animals properly, you shouldn't have them. Period.

so what about every adult who has chubby kids or is fat themselves, should they not be allowed to keep their kids or have control over themselves? lol your logic is amusing to say the least

How compassionate of you.

i wonder how coyotes, foxes, wolves, and pretty much every other animal makes it.....:rolleyes:

i wont bring my dogs in but will have them stay in garage when really cold with their soft bed. however all dogs should have some form of shelter to protect against wind imo

MattG
Dec 9, 2008, 09:07 AM
i wonder how coyotes, foxes, wolves make it.....:rolleyes:

i wont bring my dogs in but will have them stay in garage when really cold with their soft bed

Coyotes, foxes and wolves are built to endure staying outside and they're used to it -- it's in their genes. A domesticated house-pet is quite different.

dukebound85
Dec 9, 2008, 09:11 AM
Coyotes, foxes and wolves are built to endure staying outside and they're used to it -- it's in their genes. A domesticated house-pet is quite different.

you do know where dogs originated from dont you....

i better tell my friends who have huskies to bring them inside on cold nights:cool:

if its a short haired dog, yes they arent able to stay outside and hence let them in a garage with a bed.

ucfgrad93
Dec 9, 2008, 09:12 AM
This is such a sad story.

dukebound85
Dec 9, 2008, 09:19 AM
This is such a sad story.

it really is but i think the punishment is too harsh

velocityg4
Dec 9, 2008, 09:28 AM
What about a Siberian Husky or an Alaskan Malamute?

I do agree if you own a breed of domesticated animal not bread for the cold then you should provide appropriate shelter. Many of the breeds were never meant to be house pets, they were bread to be work animals. Some were/are purely for display, though most breeds have a function that is no longer needed.

edit: When thinking of this story all I can think of is the dog in Joe Dirt with its privates frozen on the porch.:p

Gray-Wolf
Dec 12, 2008, 07:49 PM
What about a Siberian Husky or an Alaskan Malamute?

Those breeds are trained in the cold, and can endure it longer than most, but it doesn't mean they won't freeze. The Iditarod race is a good example of the training.

synth3tik
Dec 12, 2008, 07:54 PM
There seems to be a lot of odd things happening around Sheboygan.

Anyway. I think people who overly fed their animals should get changed with neglect. An animal that eats a little much is one thing, but when animals start becoming morbidly obese, and develop things like diabetes that's just wrong. Granted in this case it may have saved the dog, on the other hand if she did not over feed the dog it would have been able to walk in on it's own.

This is just sad.

Schtumple
Dec 12, 2008, 09:14 PM
Why do people seem to have the mentality that this isn't the owners fault, but the dogs, it's not like the dog over feeds itself...

If you leave a dog out in the cold for 12 hours, you don't deserve to have pets, thats pretty damn harsh.

I can't ever see why you'd keep dogs outside, especially in cold weather, just seems so unloving, if you can't stand having the dog around don't bloody own one...

/rant.

thomahawk
Dec 12, 2008, 09:25 PM
OMG i'd kill that lady!
i would never do that to any pet. all animals are my friends!

Share the Love ppl!

*hugs everybody*

belvdr
Dec 12, 2008, 09:52 PM
Why do people seem to have the mentality that this isn't the owners fault, but the dogs, it's not like the dog over feeds itself...

If you leave a dog out in the cold for 12 hours, you don't deserve to have pets, thats pretty damn harsh.

I can't ever see why you'd keep dogs outside, especially in cold weather, just seems so unloving, if you can't stand having the dog around don't bloody own one...

/rant.

As a kid, all of our dogs on the farm were always outside, unless it got sub-zero. However, we also had barns and sheds with hay for them to lay down in.

belvdr
Dec 12, 2008, 09:53 PM
OMG i'd kill that lady!

First this...

Share the Love ppl!

*hugs everybody*

Then this.... Are you loving or killing?

scotty96LSC
Dec 12, 2008, 09:53 PM
All I can say is "Joe Dirt."

thomahawk
Dec 12, 2008, 09:55 PM
First this...

Then this.... Are you loving or killing?

lol!! both i guess.. haha!

ProwlingTiger
Dec 13, 2008, 12:18 AM
Hmm...my dogs always remain outside. Of course I don't live in Wisconsin, but even then I guess I'd say no to having a dog at all if it meant having it indoors. Sorry.

ltldrummerboy
Dec 13, 2008, 02:50 AM
Someone I know told me a story about a dog they owned many years ago. It was -40 Fahrenheit one night and the outdoor dog (who had a doghouse) was forgotten. The dog never scratched at the door and instead froze to death standing up in the middle of the yard. They ended up leaving him there until the ground thawed next Spring. That's Alaska for you.

I make no claims as to the accuracy of this story. I am only relaying what was told to me.

GSMiller
Dec 13, 2008, 06:20 AM
He's obese because she overfeeds him. If you can't take care of your animals properly, you shouldn't be allowed to keep them. Period.

How compassionate of you. Maybe you'll be on the news next.

I didn't say I won't provide them shelter, I just don't want the share it with them.

Abstract
Dec 13, 2008, 08:07 AM
I didn't realize so many people were so against having their pets come inside. I thought it was a normal thing to do. It is where I'm from. In fact, it's so normal that I was actually surprised when the first person in this thread said he doesn't let their dog inside their home.

What's wrong with them coming inside? I don't mind them being indoors or outdoors.

BlackSnow
Dec 13, 2008, 02:55 PM
I couldn't stand keeping my puppy outside anytime of the year, but that's just me. This story is pretty bad.

thomahawk
Dec 13, 2008, 03:01 PM
I didn't realize so many people were so against having their pets come inside. I thought it was a normal thing to do. It is where I'm from. In fact, it's so normal that I was actually surprised when the first person in this thread said he doesn't let their dog inside their home.

What's wrong with them coming inside? I don't mind them being indoors or outdoors.

dittooo! but i can understand that they dont want their house to get all dirty? but i let my pets go in and out. actually just the dog, the cat stays inside and kills rats for us! :)

quagmire
Dec 13, 2008, 03:29 PM

+2

My dog is always inside unless she wants out, but she always comes back to the door so she can come back in( unless it is summer. she loves to lay out in the sun).

it5five
Dec 13, 2008, 04:37 PM

I don't understand it either. Why even have a pet if you're just going to force it to stay outside all the time?

dukebound85
Dec 13, 2008, 04:40 PM
I don't understand it either. Why even have a pet if you're just going to force it to stay outside all the time?

because some dogs arent inside dogs....

for instance, theres no way i will have a husky or any other dog that massively sheds in my house. they can be outside and have a doghouse and a garage when cold

kwood
Dec 13, 2008, 07:37 PM
It really depends on the dog not just the breed. My mom has three basset hounds (which are not overweight by any means). Two of them love to be outside in any weather, the other only like to go outside in the summer to bathe in the sun. In the winter they don't sleep outside as we live in Canada, but they have no problems sleeping outside in the summer.

There is nothing wrong with leaving the dog outside if that is where they want to be. However the owner needs to take responsibility to ensure the weather won't kill the animal. Some animals are just dumb or too trusting and will die in the elements rather than seek proper shelter.

GSMiller
Dec 13, 2008, 10:06 PM

And it's the norm around here for someone to ask that you not wear shoes in their home (I sure do) :p

If it makes you feel better I would let a dog in my house before I would some people I know :D

MrSmith
Dec 14, 2008, 06:24 PM
How anyone can live with a dog in the house is beyond me. It's like getting in bed with your shoes on. Filthy beyond words. They belong outside as nature intended.

Schtumple
Dec 14, 2008, 06:35 PM
How anyone can live with a dog in the house is beyond me. It's like getting in bed with your shoes on. Filthy beyond words. They belong outside as nature intended.

Even a little dachshund? Yorkshire Terrier? Jack Russell?

If we'd left either of our 2 dogs outside every night it would've taken years off their lives, I find it very cruel to keep them outside, it's not like you need the entire house to yourself, can you really not spare a 3 x 4ft space for a dog bed?

Counterfit
Dec 14, 2008, 07:02 PM

If they lived as nature intended, they wouldn't be your pets. :rolleyes:

iJohnHenry
Dec 14, 2008, 07:18 PM
This is extremely dependant on where you live, and the type of dog.

Sometime (most times) I think you people Out There™ argue just for it's own sake.

If that sounds condescending, too bad.

NC MacGuy
Dec 14, 2008, 07:31 PM

Not only does she live in the house but my dog sleeps with me almost every night. She seems to enjoy it since she can go wherever she likes - even outside.

I guess I'm a filthy animal just like my little Jack Russell. To each their own.

Actually she is a lot cleaner than either of my children by a long shot.

gibbz
Dec 14, 2008, 07:34 PM

Are we not naturally intended to be outdoors as well?

LethalWolfe
Dec 14, 2008, 07:39 PM
Says the person using such naturally occurring things as houses, shoes, beds, computers and the internet. :p

Lethal

sangosimo
Dec 14, 2008, 07:40 PM
I loled when I saw the title.

Schtumple
Dec 14, 2008, 07:42 PM
Not only does she live in the house but my dog sleeps with me almost every night. She seems to enjoy it since she can go wherever she likes - even outside.

I guess I'm a filthy animal just like my little Jack Russell. To each their own.

Our jack russell gets so cold atm she won't go for a wee in the garden without someone else going out there with her, so she can stay by your legs for warmth before she goes, then she quickly runs in... :p so cute.

quagmire
Dec 14, 2008, 09:58 PM

That is why you clean them. It's called a bath.

* just washed my greyhound yesterday and laughed when she went running around the basement rubbing against the sofas.

BlackSnow
Jan 9, 2009, 04:12 PM

I can see how it could get on someone nerves, but I honestly wouldn't have it any other way. But I'm a filthy person(no joke), so I don't really care about the dog hairs. But my Dalmatian sleeps with me all the time, he's better than a heater. But sadly my black blanket was turned white.

That-Is-Bull
Jan 9, 2009, 08:35 PM

...Why? My dog sleeps in my room on cold nights. It's not like he's constantly farting, or running around or barking or anything like that. When I go to bed, he goes to bed. I don't see what's so bad about it. It's like, instead of going to sleep, you're going to sleep and there's a dog sleeping on the floor next to you. What's the difference? He doesn't smell, and he doesn't make any noise. The only reason I can see anybody being so against having a dog in their house is if they're allergic, or their dog is hairy and rolls around in poop all day.

bobfitz14
Jan 9, 2009, 08:42 PM
I can see how it could get on someone nerves, but I honestly wouldn't have it any other way. But I'm a filthy person(no joke), so I don't really care about the dog hairs. But my Dalmatian sleeps with me all the time, he's better than a heater. But sadly my black blanket was turned white.

...Why? My dog sleeps in my room on cold nights. It's not like he's constantly farting, or running around or barking or anything like that. When I go to bed, he goes to bed. I don't see what's so bad about it. It's like, instead of going to sleep, you're going to sleep and there's a dog sleeping on the floor next to you. What's the difference? He doesn't smell, and he doesn't make any noise. The only reason I can see anybody being so against having a dog in their house is if they're allergic, or their dog is hairy and rolls around in poop all day.

Even a little dachshund? Yorkshire Terrier? Jack Russell?

If we'd left either of our 2 dogs outside every night it would've taken years off their lives, I find it very cruel to keep them outside, it's not like you need the entire house to yourself, can you really not spare a 3 x 4ft space for a dog bed?

If they lived as nature intended, they wouldn't be your pets. :rolleyes:

Are we not naturally intended to be outdoors as well?

indeed, original intention though.

That is why you clean them. It's called a bath.

* just washed my greyhound yesterday and laughed when she went running around the basement rubbing against the sofas.

dogs can be little human friends to families or (or a one person house, either way), they keep you company. no way in hell i would leave my dog outside for the nights, no matter where i lived. it's cruel!

millerj123
Jan 9, 2009, 08:55 PM
dogs can be little human friends to families or (or a one person house, either way), they keep you company. no way in hell i would leave my dog outside for the nights, no matter where i lived. it's cruel!

Our dog is mommies little princess but my buddy too. She's always slept in a kennel by our bed, since we are her pack. We have also always made sure she can go outside/inside as she will. Makes a lot of things much easier.

MrSmith
Jan 9, 2009, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't have a dog in my house unless it didn't drawl, didn't molt, wiped it's feet every time it came in and had a bath every day. That's just my opinion. I meant no offence to anyone who does keep a dog.

TSE
Jan 9, 2009, 11:01 PM
because some dogs arent inside dogs....

for instance, theres no way i will have a husky or any other dog that massively sheds in my house. they can be outside and have a doghouse and a garage when cold

Agreed. It really depends on what kind of dog it is.

Huskies, Malamutes, Great Danes, Greyhounds, etc. are definitely not for people that want a dog primarily for indoor stuff.

Macaddicttt
Jan 10, 2009, 03:28 AM
I wouldn't have a dog in my house unless it didn't drawl, didn't molt, wiped it's feet every time it came in and had a bath every day. That's just my opinion. I meant no offence to anyone who does keep a dog.

My dog fit all those things except the bath every day part (well, I guess he shed a little). (I used the past tense since he died this year.) I don't see why a dog needs a bath every day, unless he's rolling around in dirt. My dog stayed indoors unless he wanted to go out for some reason. And he did wipe his feet before coming in, and no we didn't train him to do it. He was as clean as anything else in the house, and my house is kept clean.

And no, it's not like getting into bed with your shoes on at all. Dogs get dirty perhaps one thing: the floor. And unlike sheets, you don't roll around on the floor. Now letting dogs go all over the furniture or in bed, I'll agree. That's going to far. Then they'd need a bath every day.

I think you're forgetting that there are different kinds of dogs. Some are meant to be kept inside. Anyway, that's beside the point of this article. The owner should have provided some sort of shelter. Since she didn't, she was obliged to offer the only shelter she had, her house/garage.

quagmire
Jan 10, 2009, 10:37 AM
Agreed. It really depends on what kind of dog it is.

Huskies, Malamutes, Great Danes, Greyhounds, etc. are definitely not for people that want a dog primarily for indoor stuff.

I disagree with greyhounds. Mine is always inside and being a lazy couch potato or always following us around. She loves going outside and soaking up the summer suns rays and we take her out to our ring so she can do her sprints, but she is primarily an indoor dog.

anjinha
Jan 10, 2009, 07:14 PM
One of my dogs doesn't go outside if it's too cold for her, or raining, only if we make her. She also spends the whole winter in front of a heater and when she goes to sleep she always tries to get something to cover her nose. :D

bobfitz14
Jan 10, 2009, 07:20 PM
Our dog is mommies little princess but my buddy too. She's always slept in a kennel by our bed, since we are her pack. We have also always made sure she can go outside/inside as she will. Makes a lot of things much easier.

same in my house, my mom spoils our dog and i treat it just like it's a little friend. unfortunately, we don't let her sleep upstairs because she would be too "excited" about the new and rarely seen environment, but she gets the whole downstairs to herself, a few chairs and a couple couches. not a bad life.

James L
Jan 10, 2009, 08:45 PM

I just showed your post to my Golden Retriever. She gave you the finger, then went back to sleep on the couch.

:D

mgguy
Jan 10, 2009, 11:54 PM
Dogs by nature are pack animals and don't like to be left alone for long periods. My rat terrier alwys sleeps by my side in bed. I like her inside not just because she likes it but because I like to have her with me. If she sleeps outside, so do I.