PDA

View Full Version : Have you named or given gender to any of your technology?

iParis
Dec 10, 2008, 09:41 AM
Well I certainly have.
I refer to my iPod as a she.
Although, I have yet to give her a name.

Eidorian
Dec 10, 2008, 09:43 AM
Do hostnames count?

newappleboy
Dec 10, 2008, 09:43 AM
My GPS is named Alice 2.0 actually (my last GPS was just Alice). She's evil, more so than the original. It's a "Star Trek: Voyager" reference, specific to only one episode. Anyone who gets the reference is a genius.

Eidorian
Dec 10, 2008, 09:45 AM
My GPS is named Alice 2.0 actually (my last GPS was just Alice). She's evil, more so than the original. It's a "Star Trek: Voyager" reference, specific to only one episode. Anyone who gets the reference is a genius.That was easy. Hope you don't end up going somewhere bad...

Blue Velvet
No. Effing. Way.

They're appliances, not living creatures. I can almost but barely empathise with people naming cars or boats... but gadgets? Who here has given their television a name?

robanga
I have not. I would like to see the personality profiles of people that do :) Seriously though if you have fun with it, name away.

arkitect
Dec 10, 2008, 09:49 AM
Well I certainly have.

Ahem…

Just don't get carried away or you may end up in this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6739655) thread…
;)

newappleboy
Dec 10, 2008, 09:53 AM
That was easy. Hope you don't end up going somewhere bad...

Thus the evil part. She's always trying to kill me by taking me down unlit roads and into bad neighborhoods. I'm convinced she wants someone who will input more exciting destinations than "school" and "work". :rolleyes:

gilkisson
Dec 10, 2008, 09:53 AM
When my PC at work barfs, I do speak to it. In very personal and colloquial forms. I call it "why you worthless piece of.."

When Safari on my iPhone crashes, I speak to it as well, calling it my "you rotten little sonova....."

Does this count?

comictimes
Dec 10, 2008, 10:00 AM
I tend to think of my computer as male, but that only really comes up when I'm swearing at it :p

iParis
Dec 10, 2008, 10:02 AM
I tend to think of my computer as male, but that only really comes up when I'm swearing at it :p

I think that's how most PC's are.
On my PC I end up cussing it out because of how slow it is.
It then gains it's gender from the insults I give it.

rdowns
Dec 10, 2008, 10:03 AM
Well I certainly have.

I think you'd get along with this guy (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=614506).

newappleboy
Dec 10, 2008, 10:08 AM
Ahem…

Just don't get carried away or you may end up in this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6739655) thread…
;)

I think you'd get along with this guy (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=614506).

Awwww...rdowns, you were almost the first person to try and connect the two threads. Better luck next time. :p

robbieduncan
Dec 10, 2008, 10:08 AM
My TomTom is called Kate. But only because that's the name of the voice on it! Apart from that the only names I tend to call technology/things can't be repeated in polite company :p

shady825
Dec 10, 2008, 10:28 AM
Thus the evil part. She's always trying to kill me by taking me down unlit roads and into bad neighborhoods. I'm convinced she wants someone who will input more exciting destinations than "school" and "work". :rolleyes:

I feel the same about the lady "inside" my GPS! I swear shes drinking sometimes! haha!

dukebound85
Dec 10, 2008, 10:31 AM
i cant name inanimate objects

seems silly to me

lofight
Dec 10, 2008, 10:34 AM
My guitar is a she and is named Foxy for some unknown reason.

Dagless
Dec 10, 2008, 11:11 AM
I had a fountain pen I named Monty, he's still alive but leaks ink so it's pretty unuseable now. iPods and such don't have "human" names (Obelisk, etc).

MotleyPete
Dec 10, 2008, 11:16 AM
I have a toaster called toaster, a microwave called microwave, an egg timer called egg timer and a kettle called Philip.

themoonisdown09
Dec 10, 2008, 11:16 AM
Never. I do refer to my work computer (Dell PC) as "douche bag".

Unspeaked
Dec 10, 2008, 11:17 AM
All of my electronics are hermaphrodite.

drichards
Dec 10, 2008, 11:22 AM
No. Effing. Way.

They're appliances, not living creatures. I can almost but barely empathise with people naming cars or boats... but gadgets? Who here has given their television a name?

A boat without a name is bad luck. :p

iJohnHenry
Dec 10, 2008, 12:13 PM
My Elephant drive, for Time Machine, is Horton, because elephant's never ... ;) (I should call it Second Cup, because the thing sounds like a coffee-grinder when it fires-up.)

My car is KIA, and being hetro, and loving it as I do, it's a girl. :o

That's about it. No special name for iMac, or anything else really.

Karasu
Dec 10, 2008, 12:17 PM
A past computer was named "Monster" and it was definitely male. The stupid thing used to piss me off to no end. Shutting down, crashing, operating slowly. I think my current laptop is it's long lost twin brother. :mad:
My iPod is named Euterpe. After one of the Muses.

gilkisson
Dec 10, 2008, 02:54 PM

Yep. That's pretty much all of them.

EV0LUTION
Dec 10, 2008, 03:12 PM
My apple products seem to always be a she... but anything with windows on it is male.

My Hackintosh's is name is Ev0x (from my xbox modding days :D)

themoonisdown09
Dec 10, 2008, 03:17 PM
So when you're talking to your friends about your Macbook, would you say something like "When I was working on Fred the other day, I noticed that he was going slower than normal"?

That could get confusing very quickly. :D

EV0LUTION
Dec 10, 2008, 03:35 PM
So when you're talking to your friends about your Macbook, would you say something like "When I was working on Fred the other day, I noticed that he was going slower than normal"?

That could get confusing very quickly. :D

I never name then, its just kind of a reaction after working with one laptop for so long.

"where do you put your laptop.

he's over their"

that kind of thing. seems kind of weird now that I have written it down. :(

shady825
Dec 11, 2008, 10:53 AM

I called my dell that on a daily basis!

Dagless
Dec 11, 2008, 03:57 PM
My Hackintosh's is name is Ev0x (from my xbox modding days :D)

Now that brings back memories! Still got my EvoX xbox in the wardrobe. Before I had a Front Row capable mac it was perfect for my needs :)

And supported XviD and friends :cool:

gmecca2
Dec 11, 2008, 05:01 PM
No. No reason. Never will.