Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hey all,

I'm looking for an Adobe Pagemaker like software for Mac OS X to buy for our IFC computer here to make newsletters. Any ideas?

-Kevin

fatzmack

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2004
i do publishing with quark for my college's newspaper, and on ocassion, fiddle with pagemaker for fun.

but low end publishing titles? I dunno. If you wanted to get really primitive, you could resort to word processing applications and make use of tables and such...

rinseout

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
If you're willing to learn instead of spending money, there is TeX/LaTeX which can do a very good job of typesetting if you know what you're doing (and for some applications, even if you don't, really). That's what I use when I want something to look nice.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Tex/Latex sounds interesting. I'll look it up. But anyone know of just like a 3rd party, lower end version of pagemaker? Maybe i'll just try to buy an older version?
-Keivn

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Well, for cheap and low end, and I mean really low end, you can use the Paint part of AppleWorks to do it. It's very very basic, but it works. Heck I even got an A on one project with it! Then, I was lucky enough to be able to use that same project the next year! :cool:

logicat2001

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
It's got pros and cons but overall I find it can be very useful. At first go I was a bit disappointed but after using the 30-day trial and actually reading through some of the documentation I found it to be quite full featured.

It's called "Create" by Stone Software. Free upgrades for life.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Have you tried Ragtime? Someone on MacRumors suggested it to me for small documents, and I've found it to be adequate. It's no Quark/Pagemaker, but it's not bad.

Here's the link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.