PDA

View Full Version : Potential Software to Record Dreams

XnavxeMiyyep
Dec 14, 2008, 11:13 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24785363-23109,00.html

A JAPANESE research team says it has created a technology that could eventually display dreams or what people have on their minds on a computer screen.

Researchers at the ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories succeeded in processing and displaying images directly from the human brain, they said in a study unveiled ahead of publication in the US magazine Neuron.

While the team for now has managed to reproduce only simple images from the brain, they said the technology could eventually be used to figure out dreams and other secrets inside people's minds.

Sounds pretty cool. I would definitely keep recordings of my dreams.

Supposedly, the attached image is from early versions of their technology, although I'm going to have to look for a better source for it.

Schtumple
Dec 14, 2008, 11:20 AM
That would amazing, I'd love to watch back my dreams, analyse them etc, I guess that's pretty sad, but it's amazing how far technology is coming these days, to be able to do this is extraordinary...

XnavxeMiyyep
Dec 14, 2008, 11:22 AM
That would amazing, I'd love to watch back my dreams, analyse them etc, I guess that's pretty sad

Nothing wrong with that. I try to write down my dreams, although I forget to do it a lot, and then I forget the details of my dreams! This would make things much easier, plus I'd get a movie!

plinden
Dec 14, 2008, 11:22 AM
Hmm, there's something familiar about that clip art of the computer in the middle. What could it be?

Anyway, I suspect the only way this worked was to record brain activity while looking at different letters, then display "NEURON" and compare. And it would likely work for only one person. Of course, I'm not a neuroscientist and don't know how advanced things are these days.

Schtumple
Dec 14, 2008, 11:26 AM
Nothing wrong with that. I try to write down my dreams, although I forget to do it a lot, and then I forget the details of my dreams! This would make things much easier, plus I'd get a movie!

I've begun drawing out key frames that seemed important, some are very surreal.

XnavxeMiyyep
Dec 14, 2008, 11:35 AM
I've begun drawing out key frames that seemed important, some are very surreal.

Do you keep a pencil and paper right next to your bed? I have pretty vivid dreams, but I usually forget all the details shortly after waking up.

Schtumple
Dec 14, 2008, 11:38 AM
Do you keep a pencil and paper right next to your bed? I have pretty vivid dreams, but I usually forget all the details shortly after waking up.

I can remember some dreams for a few days, but I forget the really small details after after a few hours though.

XnavxeMiyyep
Dec 14, 2008, 11:41 AM
I can remember some dreams for a few days, but I forget the really small details after after a few hours though.

Hmm... I'll definitely have to try this.

Schtumple
Dec 14, 2008, 11:44 AM
Hmm... I'll definitely have to try this.

Forgot to say, I don't keep a pen and paper by my bed, I just draw down the most interesting dream that I had, I only have a few drawings so far, but I started drawing weeks and weeks ago, some dreams are too bland, others I don't even remember when I wake up.

XnavxeMiyyep
Dec 14, 2008, 11:50 AM
Forgot to say, I don't keep a pen and paper by my bed, I just draw down the most interesting dream that I had, I only have a few drawings so far, but I started drawing weeks and weeks ago, some dreams are too bland, others I don't even remember when I wake up.

Cool. I guess it's time to work on my sketching abilities.

FrankieTDouglas
Dec 14, 2008, 02:32 PM
This technology is incredible! I'll be eagerly watching to see where it leads to.

I've created an entire photography series based on dreams caused by the nicotine patch. Dreams are fascinating...

http://www.andybloxham.com/2008/photography/beta/023.jpg

photograph series (http://www.andybloxham.com/2008/photography/beta.shtml)

runplaysleeprun
Dec 14, 2008, 05:22 PM
Honestly, there are some of my dreams I would rather not revisit. But, on the other hand, there are some pretty steamy ones I wouldn't mind seeing again.

Brien
Dec 14, 2008, 05:33 PM
Looks like a Sawtooth in that picture. Neat.

Schtumple
Dec 14, 2008, 06:18 PM
Imagine what they could do if they used a Mac Pro :eek:

Stampyhead
Dec 15, 2008, 05:03 AM
...the technology could eventually be used to figure out dreams and other secrets inside people's minds.

Is anyone else slightly disturbed by this idea? I don't really like the idea of a computer being able to read my mind. If they were really able to do this then one's thoughts would not be private anymore. It's frightening to think of the ways in which this could be used...

drichards
Dec 15, 2008, 05:42 AM
One. Nine. Eight. Four.

Think about it.

Abstract
Dec 15, 2008, 05:44 AM
Dude, I'd be labelled a sicko and would go straight to jail or something. :eek:

drichards
Dec 15, 2008, 06:16 AM
That's the point. Time for some Cheap Trick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdwMSONE-aw).

noaccess
Dec 15, 2008, 06:21 AM
The ones I do remember are probably memories from my past life when I had schizophrenia. I've never had a dream that actually made sense in any way.

But I forget them within seconds of waking up, so I wouldn't mind having them recorded...

As for the implications, I dunno, I think many, if not most people have more or less "forbidden" thoughts from time to time. If this technology were available to the masses, I wouldn't be surprised for otherwise very taboo subjects to become perfectly OK to discuss.

Abstract
Dec 15, 2008, 06:24 AM
"Hmmm, I have a cucumber, a dead baby, a horse, a full house (Ace high), plumber ass, a calico cat, and a nail-gun. What to do, what to do......"

noaccess
Dec 15, 2008, 07:00 AM
Aw, don't worry, you'll think of something. Can I pet the cat in the meantime?

Dagless
Dec 15, 2008, 07:15 AM
Holy hell that's amazing. I've always been big on dreams and have 2-3 big ones I remember a night, would be ace to record them.

Wonder if this could also be used to get people in a persistent vegetative state or similar to communicate? That would an epic leap.

FLAMETHROWER13
Dec 22, 2008, 06:12 AM
Im sure that this will be developed and used. However I doubt that this will "ever" be available for "normal" people. The powers that be will never allow this to even have a hint of being available.