PDA

View Full Version : G5 1.8 now, or wait? <again>


neonart
Feb 23, 2004, 08:19 PM
Ok folks, I need your opinions again.
I can get a NEW 1.8Ghz G5 for $1635 right now. (From a decent vendor. PM me if you want to know)

Here is my dilemma: Obviously G5's will be updated soon which makes me want to wait. On the other hand this is a great price that I doubt will get much better even after new machines get released. So future price cuts are not my primary concern unless Apple lowers their base price-point (unlikely).

I'm more concerned with the new machines being SO much better and missing out on a great update. (see: faster,cooler running,less power consumption) I'll have chronic buyers remorse if that happens.

The good thing about the "now machine" is that at this price I can get a Raptor 10K RPM and an extra 512MB for around the same price of an entry level machine @ $1800, which I would still want to upgrade the HD and RAM. Did that make sense?

What do you think? What would you do? I've been holding off since mid december and getting pretty anxious.

bousozoku
Feb 23, 2004, 09:58 PM
If that's not a dual processor machine, I wouldn't even bother. Besides, I feel that there will be new machines in about 4 weeks.

Sun Baked
Feb 23, 2004, 10:38 PM
If it the difference between this machine and the entry level machine, buy the SP 1.8GHz G5 -- it include the extra 4 DIMM slots and the PCI-X.

Since these machines are on clearance, they might not be around in a rather short period.

You have to gamble whether or not the new entery level machine will be just a speed bumped SP 1.6 G5 (with 4 missing DIMM slots and only PCI) or whether it'll graduate to a SP version of the DP motherboard (PCI-X & 8 DIMM slots).

Faster is better unless it comes with fewer DIMM slots and the lack of PCI-X.

While 4 DIMM slots might seem like a lot, it's only 2-pair -- and that's 1 memory upgrade before you start tossing DIMMs to bump your memory after that.

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 24, 2004, 07:02 AM
I think i read somewhere that the new powermacs will all have 1 motherboard which means easier production,less costs and keeping things simple. Neonart if you need or want a machine now then get it but waiting for a rev B machine in Apples world has proven to be a wise choice if you look at the past history of Apple products.
1 more point that powermac has to be easier to produce then the MDDs meaning less parts, the new G5 90nm process is cheaper to make because of size qty, I think you will see Apple hitting that $1699 price point again but i could be wrong. One thing that is constant in the electronics world is prices keep getting lower.( how long can you wait )

nargot
Feb 24, 2004, 07:11 AM
it all depends on what you are going to use the machine for, for 99% of people the cheaper almost out of date G5 would do plenty.

cr2sh
Feb 24, 2004, 07:44 AM
I'll have chronic buyers remorse if that happens.


If I were in the market for a g5 there is absolutely no way I'd buy one now. Give it a month dude, it'll be worth the wait! :)

invaLPsion
Feb 24, 2004, 11:16 AM
My choice is whether to get a dual 1.8 or wait. I will wait for months till the nest update no matter what.

invaLPsion
Feb 24, 2004, 11:21 AM
Apple has just put the single 1.8s on sale in their special offers. $200 off! They are obviously trying to move these out. Possibly for a release in the next two weeks?!:D

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 24, 2004, 12:40 PM
This is interesting considering that they didnt even show the single 1.8 on the powermac page for sometime now. Did they get a bunch back from a vendor or did they decide to make a few single machines to get rid of those 1.8 chips? interesting indeed.