PDA

View Full Version : 3rd party memory on Alu MacBook

showkati
Dec 17, 2008, 10:59 AM
Hey everyone

I was thinking about upgrading my memory for my 2gb aluminum MacBook using 3rd party brands, but i heard some reports of 3rd party memories being unstable in these new models.

I don't want to pay for apple's memory because frankly they are a rip off. If anyone has upgraded with 3rd party memory please tell if you have experienced anything negative after putting it in.

apologies if this is a repeat thread. if you guys have any links to the older posts please post.

VSMacOne
Dec 17, 2008, 01:37 PM
Hey everyone

I was thinking about upgrading my memory for my 2gb aluminum MacBook using 3rd party brands, but i heard some reports of 3rd party memories being unstable in these new models.

I don't want to pay for apple's memory because frankly they are a rip off. If anyone has upgraded with 3rd party memory please tell if you have experienced anything negative after putting it in.

apologies if this is a repeat thread. if you guys have any links to the older posts please post.

Actually, Apple's price for DDR3 is not that bad.. It's actually pretty good deal..
But anyway, I don't think the problems are brand specific.. I've seen people use Crucial without any problems, and other with problems... I would hold off a little bit before buying if you don't want to buy from Apple, and see if some of these issues go away...

shady825
Dec 17, 2008, 01:42 PM
I've seen people use Crucial without any problems

Crucial is what I plan on going with..
Ive been curious if the problem really is with the memory or if its the machine..

fuzzycuffs
Dec 17, 2008, 01:46 PM
Actually, Apple's price for DDR3 is not that bad.. It's actually pretty good deal..
But anyway, I don't think the problems are brand specific.. I've seen people use Crucial without any problems, and other with problems... I would hold off a little bit before buying if you don't want to buy from Apple, and see if some of these issues go away...

Apple's $150 price for 4GB where you don't get to keep the 2GB is not a good price at all. And you can only get it when you order it.

Crucial and OWC are floating around $100 right now, give or take, and you get to keep the 2GB.

I still have not heard a definitive answer regarding 10.5.6 fixing the ram issue on the Macbooks. My finger is floating above the buy button on OWC's website for more ram for this thing.