Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tdmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
I have seen some people have replaced the Hard Drive on the :apple:tv with larger drives.

I was curious if anyone has attempted to try replacing the HDD with a solid state drive. Wondering if the lack of a HDD would also reduce the heat factor as well.

tdmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
I see plenty of IDE SSD's online.

I know you can get much larger storage space from a HDD, but in that case of using the :apple:tv is a streaming only mode from a NAS then space is not an issue.

Curious about the heat and the speed.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I see plenty of IDE SSD's online.

I know you can get much larger storage space from a HDD, but in that case of using the :apple:tv is a streaming only mode from a NAS then space is not an issue.

Neither is drive speed. In fact, if streaming over the network produces acceptable performance from the device, then an SSD would be massive overkill.

almostinsane

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
Exactly. The only reason I installed a SSD is becasue I have an Apple TV in my bedroom and at night, when I just feel like falling asleep I can hear the HD clicking and doing whatever. The SSD is noiseless.

I have another Apple TV in the living room and can't ever hear it so noise there isn't a concern.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
would you recommend a SLC drive for :apple:tv since it's got an operating system and does streaming, or is MLC sufficient? And is a read speed of 30-50MB/sec sufficient?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.