Anyone replace HDD with SSD?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by tdmac, Dec 17, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

I have seen some people have replaced the Hard Drive on the :apple:tv with larger drives.

I was curious if anyone has attempted to try replacing the HDD with a solid state drive. Wondering if the lack of a HDD would also reduce the heat factor as well.

2. macrumors 604

Cave Man

Aren't all SSDs SATA?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

I see plenty of IDE SSD's online.

I know you can get much larger storage space from a HDD, but in that case of using the :apple:tv is a streaming only mode from a NAS then space is not an issue.

Curious about the heat and the speed.

4. macrumors newbie

5. macrumors regular

6. macrumors 65816

Cliff3

Neither is drive speed. In fact, if streaming over the network produces acceptable performance from the device, then an SSD would be massive overkill.

7. macrumors regular

Exactly. The only reason I installed a SSD is becasue I have an Apple TV in my bedroom and at night, when I just feel like falling asleep I can hear the HD clicking and doing whatever. The SSD is noiseless.

I have another Apple TV in the living room and can't ever hear it so noise there isn't a concern.

8. macrumors 6502

potatis

would you recommend a SLC drive for :apple:tv since it's got an operating system and does streaming, or is MLC sufficient? And is a read speed of 30-50MB/sec sufficient?