PDA

View Full Version : Apple Stores in Canada?

MacRumors
Feb 25, 2004, 01:25 PM
Appleinsider reports (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=378) that Apple will be launching at least two stores in Canada.

The two locations reportedly under consideration are the Yorkdale Shopping Center and Toronto's Eaton Centre.

Apple has already launched its first international store in Japan (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031127210039.shtml) and recent reports (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/02/20040212232959.shtml) reveal an Apple Store coming to London.

Related Video: Apple Store Japan opening (http://homepage.mac.com/hsk/applejapan.html) ("Longest Line")

flipflash77
Feb 25, 2004, 01:28 PM
About freakin time!!!! :D Hopefully they'll open and signal the laungh of iTMS in Canada as well.

Now... where can I sign up for a job? ;)

srobert
Feb 25, 2004, 01:30 PM
Hey! That's good news. Our favoUrite company is finally coming this side of the boder, in the flesh. :D

feature
Finally! Now if only they come to Montreal.

TurboLag
Yea!! I take the subway from Yorkdale to Eaton center everyday. That means Ill be seeing the Apple store 4 times a day!

johnnyjibbs
Feb 25, 2004, 01:32 PM
Nice to see Apple expanding into other territories. I can't wait for Apple Store London. Expect new stores in Paris, Rome, Geneva, Stuttgart, Glasgow.. in the next year or two. (Not to mention more US ones :) )

AirUncleP
Feb 25, 2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by flipflash77
About freakin time!!!! :D Hopefully they'll open and signal the laungh of iTMS in Canada as well.

Now... where can I sign up for a job? ;)

Are you sure about the job thing?
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=367

wdlove
Feb 25, 2004, 01:48 PM
Congratulations to our members from Canada. Apple needs to meet the needs of its international customers as well. Europe should also be on the list soon. Hopefully it will be this year.

flipflash77
Feb 25, 2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by AirUncleP
Are you sure about the job thing?
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=367
Sure, as a part-time gig for the joy of it, and possibly discounts on merchandise. I'd rather not be commissioned. Takes the pressure off of conning people.

No retail store is without it's problems.

aethier
Feb 25, 2004, 01:51 PM
Why wouldn't they put it in Montreal and Toronto instead of what ever other crappy city it was in, given that Montreal and Toronto or the two bussiest cities in canada.

aethier

pb1212580
Feb 25, 2004, 01:52 PM
Go Canada!
Don't they realize Vancouver is a huge market?
Hosting Winter Olympics 2010?!

Something fishy going on with management and policy... Apple needs to fire some people high up there first...

ps. or they need to hire me to sort it out ;)

Photorun
Feb 25, 2004, 01:52 PM
VERY cool! I stay at the Marriott at Eaton Centre all the time, it's a very hip little area on Toronto's Yonge Street. It'd be perfect for an Apple Store! This is great news and 'bout friggin' time, eh?!

g30ffr3y
Feb 25, 2004, 01:55 PM
awesome!!! im only two hours away from toronto!!! ill be there for the grand opening!!!

RalphNumbers
Feb 25, 2004, 02:04 PM
Wow, that was one hell of a line at the japanese apple store opening.

I thought the line at the Chicago Michigan Ave. store opening was absurdly long when I went, but it was only about 2/3, maybe 3/4, of that.

Dave K
Feb 25, 2004, 02:06 PM
Yorkdale has a massive hole in it where Eatons/Sears was that Apple could subsection, retrofit, and move into rather quickly.

But, my recollection (admittedly a few months old), of the Eaton Centre is that the same can not be said for it. Unless they kick the Ryerson Students out and gut the old multiplex on the northwest end. I'd see it as far more likely they they'd move into the northeast side shopping complex for the Yonge/Dundas redevelopment kitty corner with EC's north end so they could be in the general public's eyes. Afterall, the main problem with the EC is still that its a massive enclosed brick monolith with little to no ability to see whats inside from the street.

But, to be honest, it will be one or the other, not both. There's already a farily large concentration of Apple dealers in Toronto, and especially downtown. So, I'm not sure it's in Apple's best interests to step all over them.

Awimoway
Feb 25, 2004, 02:16 PM
It seems that we may have finally isolated the Negative Ratings culprits who rate every story negative: Canadians. This is the first time I've seen more than 20 ratings when 0 are negative.

I'm onto you, Canadians! ;)

pb1212580
Feb 25, 2004, 02:18 PM
OR just nobody cares about those canadi-who?

;)

phd
Feb 25, 2004, 02:22 PM
Everybody knows the West is the Best.. Vancouver is where they should put it.:D

Darkhorse
Feb 25, 2004, 02:22 PM
What about those of us in BC? Talk about western alienation.

AmigoMac
Feb 25, 2004, 02:24 PM
G5 PBīs release at the same time with the store? :p ... cool! (I know, off topic, but someone has to do it)

Cheap-Chopstix
Feb 25, 2004, 02:24 PM
Booo yaaa! bout time!

evil
Feb 25, 2004, 02:25 PM
GAH!!!! they have to wait until right when i am moving out of toronto!

srobert
Feb 25, 2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by evil
GAH!!!! they have to wait until right when i am moving out of toronto!

Ok guys! He's gone. Bring in the store. Easy... easy... easy... there! Put it down. Perfect!

cavincent
Feb 25, 2004, 02:35 PM
APPLE,don't forget Vancouver!!!!:mad:

MattG
Feb 25, 2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors

Related Video: [url="http://homepage.mac.com/hsk/applejapan.html"]Apple Store Japan opening (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=378) ("Longest Line") That was the most insane thing I've ever seen!!! That was like, half of Apple's customer base ;)

BlueMars
Feb 25, 2004, 02:41 PM
Nice!!
Obviously, this is good stuff. But what the heck....if the stores go where they are reported to be going, that’ll still leave me 2,000 miles away from their door. Hey, I have an idea...Apple gives the East the Apple Stores, and gives iTMS to the West. Lets get a little east/west competition going, here...:)

Stella
Feb 25, 2004, 02:49 PM
Whoo hooo!!

The 'evil Apple store' on Elm (an apple reseller) where all the prices are jacked up by $100, had better watch out!

divmedia
Feb 25, 2004, 02:54 PM
Well folks, it will be a while before these stores open.

I just finished a video for Yorkdale, and the Apple Store is going in the new expansion wing.

The expansion will not be completed until spring '05 :(

Flynnstone
Feb 25, 2004, 03:02 PM
All this talk about putting it into malls. What about putting it in the World's Largest Mall !
Go Edmonton ! ... somehow I doubt it though :rolleyes:

Savage Henry
Feb 25, 2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
Nice to see Apple expanding into other territories. I can't wait for Apple Store London. Expect new stores in Paris, Rome, Geneva, Stuttgart, Glasgow.. in the next year or two. (Not to mention more US ones :) )

So far they are choosing my favourite cities overseas, so I don't see why Stuttgart and Glasgow won't be on the list. Just be about 2yrs probably.

takao
Feb 25, 2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Savage Henry
So far they are choosing my favourite cities overseas, so I don't see why Stuttgart and Glasgow won't be on the list. Just be about 2yrs probably.
i would go with berlin (bigger than stuttgart...i would personally prefere stuttgart becaus it's near enough for shopping ;-) or with Cologne (or other city in the Ruhrgebiet) because a store their would cover much more people (Ruhrgebiet is one of the densest regions in germany)

djjon
Feb 25, 2004, 03:27 PM
I think that the Yorkdale one makes sense because there are very few Apple Retailers towards the north end of the city. However, the Eaton Centre one seems pretty pointless. Downtown has many Apple retailers, although, only one really has great service. Still good to hear though.

blogo
Feb 25, 2004, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Flynnstone
All this talk about putting it into malls. What about putting it in the World's Largest Mall !

From what i remember, it is the 2nd largest.
Anyway, I think Vancouver would be a great place to put an Apple store.

pb1212580
Feb 25, 2004, 03:32 PM
Go Vancouver!
Yay Vancouverites!
Go Canucks

vanmonkey
Feb 25, 2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by aethier
Why wouldn't they put it in Montreal and Toronto instead of what ever other crappy city it was in, given that Montreal and Toronto or the two bussiest cities in canada.

aethier

Uh I don't understand. Yorkdale and the Eatons Center ARE in Toronto...

noxes
Feb 25, 2004, 03:44 PM
Apple Store Prince George....Who's With Me?

No one....OK, I will just keep on going to London Drugs.

boxie
Feb 25, 2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by djjon
I think that the Yorkdale one makes sense because there are very few Apple Retailers towards the north end of the city. However, the Eaton Centre one seems pretty pointless. Downtown has many Apple retailers, although, only one really has great service. Still good to hear though.
So which one has great service?
Is it Carbon?

noxes
Feb 25, 2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Eple

I did a search on Google: World's Largest Mall, and WEM is number one, Mall of America is largest in the states.

spungraphics
Feb 25, 2004, 03:55 PM
I live in toronto and regularly go from Apple Reseller to reseller each time more insulted by the poor service. They all treat you like you're an ignoramus. I've yet to find a reseller where I felt the love. Bring on the Apple store and squash those resellers. Yeah!

magicbbird
Feb 25, 2004, 03:58 PM
The two resellers I have visited or bought stuff are CompuSmart (Kennedy and 401) and CPUsed (downtown westside). I am not familiar with any others. I certainly welcome one in Yorkdale!!

Which resellers do you guys frequently visit? Any good ones?

Stella
Feb 25, 2004, 04:05 PM
Computer system centre, Spadina / College
CPUsed, Bathurst / Dupont
North Star (the rip of place - jack up prices by $100) on Elm (just round the corner from Eaton Centre)
and of course, compusmart

Never been to Carbon, sounds good though.

My favourites and CPUsed - a lot of apple stuff and Computer System Centre.

Originally posted by magicbbird
The two resellers I have visited or bought stuff are CompuSmart (Kennedy and 401) and CPUsed (downtown westside). I am not familiar with any others. I certainly welcome one in Yorkdale!!

Which resellers do you guys frequently visit? Any good ones?

splashman
Feb 25, 2004, 04:06 PM
I have two words for that line for the Tokyo opening: In. Sane.

Does anybody know how this works in terms of customer flow? Of course, Apple must limit the number of people in the store, but do they impose time limits on customers? What's to stop someone from browsing all day? Does anybody know what the total wait time was for the poor saps at the back of the line?

My goodness, it seems a bit ridiculous for people to wait hours and hours in the rain on opening day, when they could wait a few days and get in with a much shorter wait. I mean, I waited 6 hours on opening day for Star Wars, but that was different. That was Star Wars. :)

evil
Feb 25, 2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Stella
Whoo hooo!!

The 'evil Apple store' on Elm (an apple reseller) where all the prices are jacked up by $100, had better watch out!

I know that place.
i have had a bunch of problems with them.
wanted to charge me 800 bucks for warranty work!!

needless to say i took my clmputer somewhere else and got it fixed for free.

i hate that place!

winmacguy
Feb 25, 2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Stella
Whoo hooo!!

You should try living in NZ and paying the prices that we pay for Apple, you guys get off lightly

telecomm
Feb 25, 2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by spungraphics
I live in toronto and regularly go from Apple Reseller to reseller each time more insulted by the poor service. They all treat you like you're an ignoramus. I've yet to find a reseller where I felt the love. Bring on the Apple store and squash those resellers. Yeah!

No kidding! I've had some bad experiences myself while living in Toronto. Once I had RAM installed incorrectly at CPUsed. Can you believe it? RAM installed incorrectly!? It was free when I bought RAM there, and I figured I'd probably drop a screw inside or something, so I opted for the free service. Whoever installed it just mashed it down into my iBook - it cliped on one side, but the other clip was bent inwards underneath the module. Of course, the problem didn't become apparent until it brought my whole system down. Sheesh!

kansast
Feb 25, 2004, 04:16 PM
i'm sorry. .but you wouldn't catch me waiting in a line that long.. for anything.. oh unless someone was giving out large sums of money or something.. sure wouldn't wait that long to get into any store..

AmigoMac
Feb 25, 2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by takao
i would go with berlin (bigger than stuttgart...i would personally prefere stuttgart becaus it's near enough for shopping ;-) or with Cologne (or other city in the Ruhrgebiet) because a store their would cover much more people (Ruhrgebiet is one of the densest regions in germany)

I live in the Ruhrgebiet and no place in germany could be better than this...OK, Munich is an option but this region is a mac-place...

Auf wiedersehen! :)

djjon
Feb 25, 2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by boxie
So which one has great service?
Is it Carbon?
Yup it's carbon. It's designed exactly like the Apple Stores in the states except it's bigger than the ones that I've been to. (Galleria, Mall of America and a few others) I find CPUsed to be very unprofessional. But thats just me. Also, Accurate-Tech in Willowdale I think is not my favourite place to shop for Apple products.

magicbbird
Feb 25, 2004, 04:43 PM
Have not been anywhere near downtown for a whole year, may I ask where is Carbon? Do they have good price/service?

Thanks.

boxie
Feb 25, 2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by magicbbird
Have not been anywhere near downtown for a whole year, may I ask where is Carbon? Do they have good price/service?

Thanks.
http://www.carbonation.com/

neoserver
Feb 25, 2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Flynnstone

I think it would be sweet to have an Apple store in WEM, but really, to me, anywhere in Edmonton would be sweet too.

Edmonton Rocks!

Photorun
Feb 25, 2004, 05:52 PM
That line at the Japan Store, just got home to look at it, that's INSANE!!! I'm guessing there's probably still waiting in that line today to get in!!!:rolleyes:

hayesk
Feb 25, 2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by feature
Finally! Now if only they come to Montreal.

Why not just go to B.Mac?

nawk
Feb 25, 2004, 06:54 PM
Robson Street in Vancouver would be the ideal location (Somewhere on the corner or Robson and Burrard). Its some of the most "prime" retail space in Canada.

rhpenguin
Feb 25, 2004, 07:02 PM
while cool, i like the service i get at my local apple shop.. atleast i better seing as how ive dropped a moderate ammount of coin there.

still toronto is a good drive just to get a computer that i can get at a store like 20 mins away.

fartheststar
Feb 25, 2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by divmedia
Well folks, it will be a while before these stores open.

I just finished a video for Yorkdale, and the Apple Store is going in the new expansion wing.

The expansion will not be completed until spring '05 :(

what part are they expanding?

Kelvin
Feb 25, 2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by MattG
That was the most insane thing I've ever seen!!! That was like, half of Apple's customer base ;) The thing is, all those people in line took the train. No parking conflict. And, they're likely more used to walking and standing than lazy americans.

fartheststar
Feb 25, 2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by spungraphics

DVshop (dvshop.ca) is good on Dundas west, but deals mostly with DV filmmaking. (No, I'm not the guy from th store). I did have great service from him though.

Kelvin
Feb 25, 2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by fartheststar
what part are they expanding? When I was at the Apple Store - Valley Fair, they were expanding to make a new Mac Genius room (where they do the hardware upgrades/fixes) and moving the Mac Pack (where they put your stuff together for you for sale) area to the old Mac Genius room. Before that they were doing the mac packs in back of house where the software shelves are and lining up the packs in the hall leading to the sales floor. It got quite crowded to say the least.

l008com
Feb 25, 2004, 07:52 PM
This is a good idea, apple stores in canada, you know canada is a really nice place...

FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!!!

ThomasJefferson
Feb 25, 2004, 08:13 PM
As good a reason as any I have heard lately for invading Canada ...

~Shard~
Feb 25, 2004, 08:14 PM
Excellent news! Although I'm in Canada, these stores would be about a 30-hour drive away for me, so I still won't be able to take advantage of them. ;) Even though, great news, and hopefully iTMS Canada isn't far behind. Now hopefully the same news will be reported soon for Europe, etc.!

xStep
Feb 25, 2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by nawk
Robson Street in Vancouver would be the ideal location (Somewhere on the corner or Robson and Burrard). Its some of the most "prime" retail space in Canada.

I like that idea. Lots of people both home consumer and business people hang out on that street all the time.

But I'd suspect Metrotown first. It is always busy and has the skytrain right next to it. Also, is there an Apple dealer even close to it. Not that I know of. But of course I don't get there much since moving to the Yankee side of the border.

Apple has opened a store in the Portland Oregon area in a mall. The mall is right across the street from a Comp USA store, and a few blocks from a didicated Apple dealer. This clearly shows Apple doesn't care if they compete with their dealers, as long as they get a location they want.

AidenShaw
Feb 25, 2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by ThomasJefferson
As good a reason as any I have heard lately for invading Canada ...

Plus their enlightened attitude about same-sex marriage....

Maybe we could send Dubya to Canada for a while to learn about compassion and tolerance.

sethypoo
Feb 25, 2004, 08:58 PM
WHY are people voting a "negative" on this story?

I hate this rating system.

Ah well, go Apple! I am happy for all you Canadians. Even if your government can't take a joke (Triumph the Insult Comedy dog).

:D

Stella
Feb 25, 2004, 09:14 PM
Its the Yanks that think apple should populate the US with Apple stores before venturing out further - to "far flung corners of the world".

;)

Originally posted by sethypoo
WHY are people voting a "negative" on this story?

I hate this rating system.

Ah well, go Apple! I am happy for all you Canadians. Even if your government can't take a joke (Triumph the Insult Comedy dog).

:D

l008com
Feb 25, 2004, 09:15 PM
you sure its not just the yanks that don't like canada?

AlbinoPigeon
Feb 25, 2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by xStep
I like that idea. Lots of people both home consumer and business people hang out on that street all the time.

But I'd suspect Metrotown first. It is always busy and has the skytrain right next to it.

I dont know about Metro, it's not very trendy, and Apple is all about trendy in it's international ambitions (yes, Canada is international!)

But one thought...what about a temporary store up in Whistler Village during the 2010 games? Roots did it in Salt Lake (they outfitted the Canadian, US, and Brit teams) and they hauled!

It was huge and it made an incredible buzz about the brand.

Apple opening a store (at least temp) would be a major coup! Imagine press photos of athletes from around the world trying out AlBooks or iPods! Talk about free super effictive press.

Apple: DO THIS! Just call up the people at Roots and ask them how much it lifted their international brand recognition. (not that apple need's much lifting, but again - the press would be awesome, and there's no trendier place in Canada than Whistler!)

Ramza
Feb 25, 2004, 09:42 PM
why the hell would they open 2 in toronto?

what about the rest of canada?

dontmatter
Feb 25, 2004, 09:48 PM
[i]Apple opening a store (at least temp) would be a major coup! Imagine press photos of athletes from around the world trying out AlBooks or iPods! Talk about free super effictive press.[/B]

I hope in 2010 we've got something besides AlBooks and iPods, no matter how good the specs are. This is apple. They'd better be showcasing something we never even imagined.

Not to mention, first take care of Vancoover. That city kicks ass. Wish I was a canadian. (then again, seattle is the next best thing)

Dave K
Feb 25, 2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by fartheststar
what part are they expanding?
Don't beleive they're expanding as much as remodelling.

They've got a massive hole now where Eatons/Sears used to be, and they'll likely chop that up to contain smailler stores.

There's not many takers for that kind of multi story department store real estate anymore, and Yorkdale is too "high class" now to consider someone like Walmart, who'd probably be the only company interested in making a play if the price was right.

Believe it or not, but there used to be a Kresgees/K-Mart, a Dominion, and a Home/Pro Hardware in that place...

sen_almighty
Feb 25, 2004, 11:03 PM
ALRITE!!!! awesome news!

only a short TTC ride away!!!

woot woot!

Yorkdale Mall is niiiiiiice!

and Eaton Centre is not soo bad either!

Raid
Feb 25, 2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
Appleinsider reports (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=378) that Apple will be launching at least two stores in Canada.

The two locations reportedly under consideration are the Yorkdale Shopping Center and Toronto's Eaton Centre.

:D :D :D YES! I'm one subway stop from Yorkdale from home and one subway stop from the Eaton's Centre from work! SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!:D

elgruga
Feb 26, 2004, 12:43 AM
OK

Enough of the nonsense here.

Metrotown!? NO.

Downtown Vancouver - Robson St. is the place.

Metrotown - Its just the worlds most fragmented and ugly mall, and its way the ******* out there, too.

Please guys, no more of the M word.

sdf
Feb 26, 2004, 01:10 AM
Eh. I see a lot of requests for Vancouver.

I think Vancouver's well served by Simply Computing. Some of those guys have been selling Apple computers since the original Apple II. They got serial numbers 150-200, I believe...

Since Vancouver already has a Mac-exclusive store with really knowledgable people, there's bound to be higher priority markets.

Dahl
Feb 26, 2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by RalphNumbers
Wow, that was one hell of a line at the japanese apple store opening.
You're got that right.

Molten Thinker
Feb 26, 2004, 06:39 AM
Hehehehe.... I now feel proud to be Canadian. The store is like next door... actually wait, it is not! Eaton Center is comfortably downtown, that is good. I probably will visit it. However, Yorkdale? Well, maybe when I go to Costco. Need to find some better reasons to go to Apple Store. Anyway, I am happy. I am sure they will spread to other cities in Canada soon.

smorr
Feb 26, 2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by AidenShaw
Plus their enlightened attitude about same-sex marriage....

Maybe we could send Dubya to Canada for a while to learn about compassion and tolerance.

No - Don't send him to us. I think send him to Haiti to learn about what happens to inept, undemocratic presidents, or better yet, send him to outer space to learn about oxygen deprivation.

srobert
Feb 26, 2004, 07:49 AM
As of this morning, Montreal's McGill metro station has been iPod themed with ads on booths and turnstile.

feature
Feb 26, 2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by hayesk
Why not just go to B.Mac?

I do. But i'm not always happy with the service. Sometimes its great, other times not so great. Plus the B.Mac stores are in crappy locations.

revenuee
Feb 26, 2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by aethier

aethier

as far as putting one in Montreal although i love the city, Quebec laws are some of the most ludicrous that i have come across ... a company would be insane to try and deal with them right of the start ... thats what you get for being a "distinct society"

Edit -- just wanted to add the that best apple reseller that i've dealt with, service/support and all around pluses has been light computer center here in Hamilton

srobert
Feb 26, 2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by revenuee
as far as putting one in Montreal although i love the city, Quebec laws are some of the most ludicrous that i have come across ... a company would be insane to try and deal with them right of the start ... thats what you get for being a "distinct society"

I live in Quebec, I am a french speaker... and I have to totally agree with you. Those language laws are there for a good reason but I think that most of the time, they do more harm than good.

But I'm not sure it will be that hard opening in Montreal, considering that they also already print all their documentation in french. They even offer a French Canadian Keyboard layout.

revenuee
Feb 26, 2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by srobert
I live in Quebec, I am a french speaker... and I have to totally agree with you. Those language laws are there for a good reason but I think that most of the time, they do more harm than good.

But I'm not sure it will be that hard opening in Montreal, considering that they also already print all their documentation in french. They even offer a French Canadian Keyboard layout.

my father is a vet here in Hamilton, Ontario, and his friend is one in Montreal and they both own they own clinics, and when they compare it seems like Quebec business owners are incredibly oppressed --- i don't think the language laws would be a problem, but i recall him mentioning that many financial aspects are highly regulated, and controlled --- tax laws, ect ...

jqs
Feb 26, 2004, 11:14 AM
Sweet! I live within walking distance of Yorkdale! Too bad the extension to the mall isn't due to open until Spring of 2005 tho!

jqs
Feb 26, 2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by noxes
Apple Store Prince George....Who's With Me?

No one....OK, I will just keep on going to London Drugs.

I found Carbon's service to be sub par... They seemed a little clueless on what should have been a simple repair...

jqs
Feb 26, 2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Dave K
Don't beleive they're expanding as much as remodelling.

They've got a massive hole now where Eatons/Sears used to be, and they'll likely chop that up to contain smailler stores.

There's not many takers for that kind of multi story department store real estate anymore, and Yorkdale is too "high class" now to consider someone like Walmart, who'd probably be the only company interested in making a play if the price was right.

Believe it or not, but there used to be a Kresgees/K-Mart, a Dominion, and a Home/Pro Hardware in that place...

They *are* expanding... The old Eaton location is being tunred into new floorspace and they are going to run an extension from it across to the arm that contains the HMV. Thus the old Cineplex Odeon area will turn into new internal mall space.
If you go by the mall and look at the mall's map it shows the expansion area...

xStep
Feb 26, 2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Eple

The West Edmonton Mall is still the worlds largest. Check out www.westedmontonmall.com for more information.

AlbinoPigeon
Feb 26, 2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by dontmatter
I hope in 2010 we've got something besides AlBooks and iPods, no matter how good the specs are. This is apple. They'd better be showcasing something we never even imagined.

LOL! Totally slipped my mind that 2010 is 6 years away!

Ok, so how about this: Athletes the world over trying out the newly announced G7 Powerbooks and the 1 TeraByte iPod "250,000 songs in your pocket!"

Spaceman Spiff
Feb 26, 2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by sdf
I think Vancouver's well served by Simply Computing. Some of those guys have been selling Apple computers since the original Apple II. They got serial numbers 150-200, I believe...

Simply, Westworld, Macstation, we've got a bunch of 'em down here I guess... Macstation is pretty wild, they brought in a real living breathing Jaguar in for the OS's release!

revenuee
Feb 26, 2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by AlbinoPigeon
LOL! Totally slipped my mind that 2010 is 6 years away!

Ok, so how about this: Athletes the world over trying out the newly announced G7 Powerbooks and the 1 TeraByte iPod "250,000 songs in your pocket!"

never hear the same song twice for the rest of your life ... LOL

Sir_Giggles
Feb 26, 2004, 03:00 PM
Forget Toronto or Vancouver, I vote for Apple stores in Red Deer and Bella Coola. :)

revenuee
Feb 26, 2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Sir_Giggles
Forget Toronto or Vancouver, I vote for Apple stores in Red Deer and Bella Coola. :)

i just about fell of my chair on that one ... good show my friend

andrewh
Feb 26, 2004, 06:02 PM
This is kind of off topic, but today I walked past the new Apple Store that is opening here in downtown San Francisco on Saturday. As I stopped to look in the window, I noticed standing beside me was Steve Jobs. No joke. I guess being a "flagship" store and also being so close to Cupertino he gets involved in the openings. He was giving orders to the guys still working on the construction on the outside. It looks like they will barely get the place done in time, although the inside looks ready to go. Of course he was wearing a black top and jeans. Does he wear anything else?

The funny thing was I had just bought an iPod Mini from down the street at CompUSA. Bought my gf a pink one last week -- they are awesome, and I love it much more than my 30 gigger.

Anyway, here's hoping he travels up to Toronto for the opening!

dobbs
Feb 26, 2004, 08:07 PM
EEsh. The Eaton Center is a stankhole. Why would they open up in there? And Yorkdale? Ugh.

Though I'm happy they're opening in Toronto, I expected something classier from them than those two malls.

SilvorX
Feb 26, 2004, 09:29 PM
they need one in winnipeg, EVERYONE forgets winnipeg now days, back 60 or so years ago, winnipeg was #3 in population in canada, and 2nd most influencial city in canada, right after toronto, times change :(
if there ever ends up being an apple store in winnipeg, it should be in the downtown area near the famous corner of portage and main, and winnipegger burton cummings should be at the event to provide non-mac related entertainment, i heard hes a mac user :)

mulanzo
Feb 27, 2004, 12:24 AM
WOOO toronto!

Im like 15 minutes away from Yorkdale and my school is very close to the eaton centre.... too bad i wont be able to use my student discount there though.... :(

Ahh well.... U of T computer store sells plenty of apple supplies at pretty cheap prices.. we'll see how things turn out :)

and i dunno bout the eaton centre, but dobbs, Yorkdale is one of the higher class "malls" in the city next to bayview village (if you're an old lady or a millionare that is)

Yorkdale has great stores... and even better looking girls all over the place :D

awesome news

DJcrazymonkey
Apr 29, 2004, 11:52 PM
They should put it in Coquitlam Center near Vancouver, its being expanded as we speak, or Metropolis, BCs biggest mall and 2nd biggest in canada (after west edmonton)

Abstract
Apr 30, 2004, 12:14 AM
I live 15 minutes drive from Yorkdale. I'm going to seriously hit that store up for some sweet stuff if they ever open. Even if I never buy anything, I'll still go to the Apple store each and everytime I go to Yorkdale. :D

(man, I need a girlfriend....)

oldschool
Apr 30, 2004, 02:13 PM
They should put it in Coquitlam Center near Vancouver, its being expanded as we speak, or Metropolis, BCs biggest mall and 2nd biggest in canada (after west edmonton)

They don't have any space at Coquitlam Center waht are you talking about?! they wasted all their space on a T&T market! :D

James L
May 1, 2004, 06:05 PM
Coquitlam Center is a business, and the owners have the right to lease space to whomever they think can put a succesful business in there.

It is called free enterprise, and is a well understood principle in Canada. If they choose to lease the space for T&T to a chinese food store, how is that not a Canadian thing to do?

Multiculturism, remember?

68k_575
May 2, 2004, 01:27 AM

I agree. Vancouver has a very strong Mac presence (there are Mac shops all over the place) and everyone seems to have heard of Apple. The store should go somewhere in the West End (I don't think Metropolis would be a good idea, there's not very much Mac penetration over there).

The last place to put an Apple Store in Canada would have to be Winnipeg. Believe it or not, there is only ONE dedicated Mac shop in the entire city. :eek: