PDA

View Full Version : Channel 4 merger with Five on the cards

iGav
Feb 27, 2004, 04:02 AM
well this could be interesting I suppose... I like the comparison to BBC 1 and BBC 2 though... Channel 5 is not BBC 2 and deffo ain't BBC 1... heheh

I guess it's more comparable to those channels which appear on Sky if you accidentally click the up button immediately after going to the menu.... heheheh :p

registration required so I've posted the full article below...

http://www.mad.co.uk

By Nathalie Porter

A merger between Channel 4 and rival terrestrial broadcaster Five could become a reality, following reports that the broadcasters have started discussing such a move, which would have a dramatic impact on the future of British television.

Mark Thompson, chief executive of Channel 4, is understood to have started talks with Five's parent companies United Business Media and RTL over a combination of their sales operations. However, it has been reported that a full merger has also been added to the agenda and that directors of both broadcasters were asked to appoint financial advisers to pursue the plan.

Such a move would have to be sanctioned by the Government and an act of Parliament would have to be passed to change ownership. Should the broadcasters push ahead with the plans, they are likely to run the two channels together with separate schedules along similar lines to how BBC1 and BBC2 operate.

A merger between Channel 4 and Five's sales houses was made possible by provisions within the Communications Act, which was implemented by the Government last year and allowed ITV broadcasters Carlton and Granada to integrate their operations.

Combining Channel 4 and Five's sales houses, or a possible merger between the sales operations of either broadcaster with BSkyB's advertising sales division, was viewed as an acceptable move to compete with the enlarged ITV group.

m4rc
Feb 27, 2004, 07:55 AM
Channel 4 is more like BBC2, but 5, it's a bit more as you say, off of the beaten track of TV channels! Mind you, it is getting better, a year or so ago it was just budget stuff no-one wanted, now I recon I watch on average a programme a week on 5. If this means they will have more revenue from advertising, and be able to create and buy more and better programmes, it has to be good.

I heard rumours Live! TV was coming back - don't know if anyone remembers it, was an early sat/cable channel, and just a complete laugh - topless darts, strip financial news, midget on a trampoline doing the weather! Many hours wasted with that trash. Ho hum.

Marc

Sabbath
Feb 27, 2004, 08:05 AM
Well Channel 5 (or five or whatever its called nowadays) couldnt get any worse. Infact it would be infinitely better if it just showed Channel 4 repeats.

Scrap that actually just make it show 24. Damn not having sky anymore no series 3 for me :'(

mmmbop
Feb 27, 2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Sabbath
Scrap that actually just make it show 24. Damn not having sky anymore no series 3 for me :'(

Well hang in there; it's coming in the summer to five. Although it won't be the same with ad breaks... sniff...

evoluzione
Feb 28, 2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by mmmbop
Well hang in there; it's coming in the summer to five. Although it won't be the same with ad breaks... sniff...

welcome to american tv. the first episode is always commercial free, but then, well. it's almost worth waiting ofr it to come out on dvd...although we are 2/3 of the way through day3 :)

MrMacMan
Feb 29, 2004, 08:38 PM
welcome to american tv. the first episode is always commercial free, but then, well. it's almost worth waiting ofr it to come out on dvd...although we are 2/3 of the way through day3 :)

Not really.

A lot of the shows first episode are not even commerical free anymore...