Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
Hi, folks.

I would like a device that can:

- Remind me to do things... particularly things that I've entered in iCal. Basically, I want it to be one of these phones.

- Call people I've entered in Address Book (bonus if it can e-mail them too).

- Easily fit in my pocket, like my little Samsung.

If it were my dream device it would also have these features (listed in order of preference):

- Not cost nearly as much as an iBook.

- Recognize my handwriting.

- Cruise the web for one small, flat fee like the Sidekick.

- Take pictures that can be e-mailed or transferred to my Mac.

- Do some other cool stuff, like play some games or run little apps or something.

- Have a mind-control ray that makes mean people act nice.

Any recommendations?

mxpiazza

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
cleveland, oh
go with sony ericsson

it depends on how much on the cheap you want it... i had a sony ericsson t68i, and sold it on eBay a while ago... you can find them for cheap, and their compatibility with the mac is really awesome.

i've recently upgraded to the t610/616, and am just as, if not more so, impressed. I really love this phone, and it got cNet's 2003 phone of the year award. check it out.

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Sony Ericsson

I also have a T616. Works great with iSync, can control almost anything you want by using Salling Clicker through Bluetooth. Doesn't do handwriting and I'm not sure how well it works for web stuff because I don't use it for that.

I upgraded from an old Nokia phone and it's great. Holds my calendar info from iCal, syncs perfectly with the Address Book, couldn't ask for more. It solved my PDA and cell phone issue and lowered the number of devices I have to carry around. Highly Recommended.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
mxpiazza said:
it depends on how much on the cheap you want it... i had a sony ericsson t68i, and sold it on eBay a while ago... you can find them for cheap, and their compatibility with the mac is really awesome.

i've recently upgraded to the t610/616, and am just as, if not more so, impressed. I really love this phone, and it got cNet's 2003 phone of the year award. check it out.
I'll toss in another vote for the T68i, simply because it costs less than the T616/610, and if you want to take pictures, you should really get a camera instead ;P

DreaminDirector

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2002
Ladera Ranch, CA
another vote for the T610

I just got this phone and a whole new bluetooth/isync world opened up for me. Sucks to my old motorola T720, I'm throwing in my vote for the T610.

p.s. the camera's not great, but it's better than nothing...

pepeleuepe

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2002
Los Angeles, California
Camera

Yeah, should've mentioned that in my post. The camera on the T616 is basically useless. Pretty much all you can expect from a camera phone at this point. I'll include a shot just to test out the new image feature on these forums :D

Attachments

• Picture(3)#1.jpg
    Picture(3)#1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 318

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
sony ericsson

pepeleuepe said:
Yeah, should've mentioned that in my post. The camera on the T616 is basically useless. Pretty much all you can expect from a camera phone at this point. I'll include a shot just to test out the new image feature on these forums :D
t616 or t610..whichever u get for free after rebate...
camera is not gr8, screen is not usable in sunlight...but that r the only two things which you can pick about,..

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
Thanks for all the replies. It seems like there's a pretty resounding vote for the Sony Ericsson T6x.That's where I was starting to lean myself.

Is there any interest in Symbian OS? I thought some symbian phones would show up in this thread somewhere.

I was really intrigued by the forthcoming BenQ P30
http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=482
http://www.symbianone.com/features/benQ_0104/
http://my-symbian.com/uiq/intro_p30.php
but it appears to not exist just quite yet... and I'm guessing it might be on the pricey side... and I dunno if BenQ is very keen on Mac compatibility....

filmmaker2002

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Milwaukee
Go to amazon.com to get the T610 with T-Mobile and you get $30 BACK after rebates and free data through T-Mobile for use with a powerbook or ibook. It's pretty cool.

idkew

macrumors 68020
i think no one mentioned a symbian os phone b/c few want/need all the features, and they mostly cost too much for people.

if you want a phone with a bit more, one with handwriting, REAL web surfing, take a look at the SE P800, it is a great phone. I have it. There is also the P900, an upgrade from the P800, but it will cost you more, and the only big difference is the screen has more color. plus, i think the p800 looks better then the p900.

i surf the web on mine all the time, for only $5 a month. i also use it as a bluetooth modem for my powerbook. the cam sucks, but you expect that. it can take picts and email them immediately, which is handy.

this phone can do almost anything my mac can. it definitly can do more than my IIe, IIci, or LC....

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
No! Don't get the T68i!

It's TOO small. The buttons are less than 1/8" across, you have to push them with your nail. The screen is postage-stamp size. Reception is terrible. Ringer is almost inaudible. Organizer features are pretty much worthless. Trust me, small is NOT where you want to go!

idkew

macrumors 68020
cubist said:
It's TOO small. The buttons are less than 1/8" across, you have to push them with your nail. The screen is postage-stamp size. Reception is terrible. Ringer is almost inaudible. Organizer features are pretty much worthless. Trust me, small is NOT where you want to go!

i wouldn't say TOO small, although it is small. i used it for several months, and i liked it... EXCEPT for the HORRIBLE reception and slow as hell gui.

the T61X's are also known for their horrible reception. My P800 gets much better reception. MUCH.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
idkew said:
i surf the web on mine all the time, for only $5 a month.
Urk! What service are you on??

I thought t-mobile unlimited web browsing for $20 sounded great, but $5... wow.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Toe said:
Urk! What service are you on??

I thought t-mobile unlimited web browsing for $20 sounded great, but $5... wow.

actually, it is free for just general web surfing. if you want email access, it is $5 a month. of you want weird port access, such as sftp, https... you have to pay $20. i don't need those on the road usually, but i do need email, so i went for the $5 plan. each is unlimited.

oh yeah- i get something like 300 free text messages with the $5 plan.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
or if you fancy an improved SE t610/616, get the SE z600. the screen reception and camera are all improved.

however, if you dont fancy a clam shell phone, i would also say you cant go wrong with any of the new sony ericsson phones. they are so easy to use and their integration with mac os x is almost amazing for a phone. Transferring files and sync-ing is effortless, particuarly in comparison to doing it with windows! (not difficult really).

Well i will stop waffling, basically get a SE phone and you cant go wrong though in my opinion, the z600 is the best of the bunch having tried the t600, p900 and the z600.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
idkew said:
the T61X's are also known for their horrible reception. My P800 gets much better reception. MUCH.
I think this must be something to do with the phone and the American GSM networks. I have a T610 on Orange in the UK and the reception is fine. I think we have a lot more towers per square mile or something.

Everyone's right about the camera though. It's rubbish. It's only good for incriminating photo's of your mates when they're drunk....

idkew

macrumors 68020
caveman_uk said:
I think this must be something to do with the phone and the American GSM networks. I have a T610 on Orange in the UK and the reception is fine. I think we have a lot more towers per square mile or something.

Everyone's right about the camera though. It's rubbish. It's only good for incriminating photo's of your mates when they're drunk....

you're right. forgot to say us.

but, even the "tuned" t616 or 0, whichever, still gets poor reception, i have heard.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
idkew said:
actually, it is free for just general web surfing. if you want email access, it is $5 a month. of you want weird port access, such as sftp, https... you have to pay $20. i don't need those on the road usually, but i do need email, so i went for the $5 plan. each is unlimited.
oh yeah- i get something like 300 free text messages with the $5 plan.
WHAT PHONE COMPANY IS THIS?

If I might ask.

:D

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
You get unlimited internet on Sprint phones with the vision plan, but unfortunately there is a general lacking of any of the cool bluetooth phones still.

abates25

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2003
Seattle
Sony P900!

While the T68i is excellent (I have one, use it daily, sync with bluetooth), I just got a good deal on eBay for a Sony Ericsson P900. This is your do-everything phone. It isn't available through any providers yet, but you can purchase the US version from sony ericssons web site, and it does with with any GSM carrier. Plus, it has more features than the Treo 600 (keep your eyes out for the Treo 610 - this phone will be the best Palm-based phone available when it is released).

abates25

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2003
Seattle
And another thing....

People have commented on the bad quality of reception on Sony phones - it isn't the phones problem really. The US GSM network operates primarily on the 850Mhz band, with 1900Mhz as a backup. Sony Phones want to use the 900Mhz range, Europe and Asia's primary band. If you can find a quad-band GSM phone (850, 900, 1800 and 1900Mhz), you will get the best coverage of any GSM phones. So far, I think only the Handspring Treo offers all four, while Siemens makes some non-smartphones which operate on all four.

Toe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
Bad, bad website

Sony Ericsson has one of those product lineups I can't stand. A lot of car companies do the same thing...

"Well, sir, would you like the XHF-44362899 or the HGGF-4562362? Or are you one of those people who can't resist the sexy IUHF-444574556YUGD-b?"

How is one supposed to know which of their phones one would want to look at without already knowing everything about all of their phones? Where on their site do they give an idea of what their numbering scheme is, or how the phones compare?

Sorry, I guess I should complain to them, not MR, but... isn't that just so annoying?

I can see why Apple has iMac, iBook, PowerMac, and PowerBook. That can be annoying too when you compare an iMac Bondi to an iMac 19", but... pshwew, it's easier than all that number mumbo-jumbo.

Anyway, does anyone do a better job than S-E at comparing S-E products to each other?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.