Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I really wish, i mean REALLY wish Apple would get on the biometric fingerprint readers for their notebooks. As I have a MBA I wish they would put in in the MBA.

If you have never used a machine with one - you are missing out. Basically it replaces the need to ever type in a password again, for any site or application you use - even logging into the OS.

Apple is usually so 'ahead' of the others - I wish they would include this - even if it was an 'extra' model feature that cost more I would grab it.

Anyone else?

TheMasin9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2004
Huber Heights, OH
Yeah, right....

This tech is very much a waste of space in apple computers. We won't ever see it as anything more than a third party peripheral...

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Sorry, don't find that much use for it. They should incorporate retinal scanning using the iSight, now that is technology... :D

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Please don't incorporate anything related to fingerprint readers; they are unreliable and cause nothin' but headaches for users. The War Department has a Dell computer (office issued computer) with that bonehead app and she's constantly taking it in to reset the computer at her office's IT department, and she's constantly using my MBA...:(

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Please don't incorporate anything related to fingerprint readers; they are unreliable and cause nothin' but headaches for users. (

I have them on all my PC's and they work flawlessly... but I think the answer to this question as far as Apple is concerned is: No.
They would NEVER ruin the artistic lines of any of their products. And THAT'S the only thing to consider.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
I have them on all my PC's and they work flawlessly... but I think the answer to this question as far as Apple is concerned is: No. They would NEVER ruin the artistic lines of any of their products. And THAT'S the only thing to consider.

I hear ya' but my off-duty supervisor hardly uses her Dell, and that's probably 99% of the problem. I'm not sure if she needs to do those automatic updates or what, b/c she uses her Dell maybe 1-2X per month and the rest of the time she's "bogarting" my MBA...:p

jtmav

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2007
I had one on my last VAIO and it was buggy at best. Retinal scan makes more sense for Apple. Wouldn't disturb the look and would be forward looking.
I like my Air just the way it is.:)

JTMav

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I have a USB Microsoft fingerprint reader that works fine. Although I think they discontinued it.

Anyone remember VoicePrint password? At one point, Apple was a leader in mainstream biometric technology. Ahhhh ... the good old days.

Attachments

• macos9voice.gif
    macos9voice.gif
    6.5 KB · Views: 58

fteoath64

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Not a chance!. Biometeric devices are very flaky!. I think facial recognition using the built-in iSight camera as a better possibility followed by password (ie 2 factor authentication).
:eek:

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
In the future, I think one biometric identification method will reign supreme for simplicity of use; retina, fingerprint, facial scan. But none of them are cheap or effective yet, so we've got a wait first.

Either Apple will lead the new technology with a revolutionary use of it in a product, or other R&D teams will have to make it good, and Apple will incorporate it. If Apple takes the lead, it will be sooner... Either way, not soon!

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
I really wish, i mean REALLY wish Apple would get on the biometric fingerprint readers for their notebooks. As I have a MBA I wish they would put in in the MBA.

If you have never used a machine with one - you are missing out. Basically it replaces the need to ever type in a password again, for any site or application you use - even logging into the OS.

Apple is usually so 'ahead' of the others - I wish they would include this - even if it was an 'extra' model feature that cost more I would grab it.

Anyone else?

I think the big problem for apple is implementing it in a cheap and stylish way. Samething with Blu=Ray.

I mean have you seen the laptops with it. UUUUUGGGLLLYYY

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I have a USB Microsoft fingerprint reader that works fine. Although I think they discontinued it.

Anyone remember VoicePrint password? At one point, Apple was a leader in mainstream biometric technology. Ahhhh ... the good old days.

I still use mine. I have a old Mac dedicated to OS 9 even though it is possible to run Tiger on it. It is my gaming rig now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.