Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
- Single-handedly destroying the entire basis of Apple's "I'm a mac, and I'm a PC" adverts. Not to mention in essence, making Apple do their branding for them with every I'm a mac advert

- Giving the "I'm a PC" slogan far more exposure, and as such prompting viewers to recount a Microsoft advert everytime an Apple ad comes on and utters those words.

- Promotes Apple hypocrisy. After what is it, 5-10 years of the exact same advertising campaign, Apple feel the need to create a new one, slamming MS's spending on advertising... even though Apple creates 10x more adverts than MS.

- Showing the fact that Windows is used by 90-95% of the world's population, from all corners, all ways of life, all ages etc

- Annoys Apple fanboys

It's an excellent, simple, straight-forward campaign that can be tailor made for countries all over the world. It's also made all the better by Apple fanboys continually thinking that an Apple campaign is "hilarious" after years and years of the same drivel

The vast majority of the whole world uses Microsoft, and it's not likely to change any time soon. MS don't need to advertise any features of Vista etc, everyone uses Windows and will continue to do so. It's promoting a friendly, global brand whilst ripping Apple's campaign to shreds at the same time, but in a far more subtle way than the 'in your face' bashing style Apple puts out every day.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Uh, did you watch the same ads I did?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
the fact that Microsoft is making these ads in response to the apple ads should show you that they are in fact effective... even if they are 5-10 years old:rolleyes:

Luftwaffles

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Allow me to derail your argument.

Microsoft's ads:
  • Offer no original content. No description of what makes a Windows PC better than a Mac, no clever punchlines or any sort of humor that sticks in people's heads and makes them remember that commercial and that product.
  • Are comprised only of webcam submissions from PC users who say nothing but "I'M A PC". Seriously, that's not advertising. That's just telling the world what OS you use. That's skirting the edge of bandwaggoning. "Oh, all those people are using Windows, I guess I should too."
  • Lack any sort of censorship or stupidity filter. Hence, the 45-year-old guy from New Jersey who yells "YEAH BOIIIII" at the end. WTF?

Apple's ads:
  • Are a few years old, I will give you that.
  • HOWEVER, in every commercial, Apple includes original and information content, little tidbits about why Macs are better than PCs.
  • Use humor and wit to make their product/image stick into your head. Show a computer virgin a Mac ad alongside a PC ad, and I guarantee you they'll remember the Mac ad alot better.

/thread

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
- Single-handedly destroying the entire basis of Apple's "I'm a mac, and I'm a PC" adverts. Not to mention in essence, making Apple do their branding for them with every I'm a mac advert

- Giving the "I'm a PC" slogan far more exposure, and as such prompting viewers to recount a Microsoft advert everytime an Apple ad comes on and utters those words.

- Promotes Apple hypocrisy. After what is it, 5-10 years of the exact same advertising campaign, Apple feel the need to create a new one, slamming MS's spending on advertising... even though Apple creates 10x more adverts than MS.

- Showing the fact that Windows is used by 90-95% of the world's population, from all corners, all ways of life, all ages etc

- Annoys Apple fanboys

It's an excellent, simple, straight-forward campaign that can be tailor made for countries all over the world. It's also made all the better by Apple fanboys continually thinking that an Apple campaign is "hilarious" after years and years of the same drivel

The vast majority of the whole world uses Microsoft, and it's not likely to change any time soon. MS don't need to advertise any features of Vista etc, everyone uses Windows and will continue to do so. It's promoting a friendly, global brand whilst ripping Apple's campaign to shreds at the same time, but in a far more subtle way than the 'in your face' bashing style Apple puts out every day.

This guy has a valid point. I did see an orange-painted truck with a huge video screen & speakers screaming "I'm a PC". It was pretty neat.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I know at least in the UK they want people to upload their clips of you saying "I'm a PC" and then some sort of statement.

I decided to upload my own clip. I said "I'm a PC" while lifting up my MacBook Pro, "and I own a Mac".

I never got a reply.

jonjamesm

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
I know at least in the UK they want people to upload their clips of you saying "I'm a PC" and then some sort of statement.

I decided to upload my own clip. I said "I'm a PC" while lifting up my MacBook Pro, "and I own a Mac".

I never got a reply.

I wonder how many of them they got - I got all my mates round my house with their macs and got them to sit behind me (apple logo's glowing)

"I'm a pc - and I'm using my iSight Camera."

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Disinclined as I am to feed the troll, I must say that the MS ads in the UK border on useless, as none of us really know of the "I'm a Mac" adverts anyway.

"I'm a PC" just makes no sense, unless 'PC' is confused for politically correct, which isn't the point of the ads.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I checked in to see if someone revived this thread from the bit bucket, but found it was only posted yesterday...

Wow, a little late on the timing there. I haven't seen one of those ads in at least 2 months.

Apple is still chugging along quite nicely with their ads and I'm still converting everyone I know to Macs.

ChrisMcD

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2006
Harrogate
Normally, responding to a competitors ads is seen as desperation.

And, after the previous 'Seinfeld' ads, there was a consensus that Microsoft was desperate.

However, this campaign was thought up by Crispin Porter & Bogusky - who are supposed to be very canny. So we will have to see how the long game plays out.

My suspicion is that they simply propose to 'hijack' the Apple ads, relying on the fact that most people buying PC's have never heard of Apple.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I did 'I'm a PC, and I run Linux' but nothing :(

Actually, I think Apple should hire the All Blacks or Pittsburgh Steelers' D-Line to do a response to the wrestler saying 'I'm a PC, do you have a problem with that?!'

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Yeah, Apple creates 10x more advertisements, but spends way less doing so.

In typical MS fashion, they spend much more copying something from someone else, and they still don't do as good a job either.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The MS campaign, "I'm a PC" is just stupid.

They failed to understand Apple's "I'm A Mac" ads - the actual computer is the guy in the suit, not the users. Also, lots of people saying they are a PC, so? Big deal? Just because someone else is a PC, does that mean I should be a PC?

We aren't all sheep.

In Edinburgh, there is a massive (100 footer) poster saying "I'm A PC, Windows, Life Without Walls". I don't get the point in it. There isn't any wittyness or clevernes in the ad at all.

And I'm not saying that to be an Apple fanboy, because if it were the other way around, I'd be saying Apple is shooting blanks.

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I'm a PC ads are actually quite good for a Microsoft ad. Probably the best ad made for M$.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
I think the I'm a PC ads are actually effective - they take the PC charachter from the Mac commercials and expand on him. Lots of people who see the "I'm a Mac" ads actually like the PC better (as John Hodgman > Justin Long). Microsoft is simply taking this perception and validating it.

Also, when I see the I'm a PC commercials, I think of all the cool stuff I can do on PCs and how neat it is that Windows can be used in so many different scenarios.

It could be irony :D

Everytime I see those ads I wonder "If you're living life without walls, how the hell are you going to use windows?"

You can't think about it literally, as it makes no sense (and many advertising slogans utilize this technique).

On Microsoft's website is a picture of a dark, dark room with a man standing with a saw, with a Windows flag carved into the wall. It creates a Window, and he knocked down the wall in the process.
Then it says Windows: Life Without Walls.

It makes sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.