Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Also, when I see the I'm a PC commercials, I think of all the cool stuff I can do on PCs and how neat it is that Windows can be used in so many different scenarios.

Well then you arent who the advertisement is advertised to. NO ONE who is not tech savvy (the audience for this type of ads) is going to think of what they can do with a windows machine when they see these commercials.

At best these commercials just help with Microsoft's image a little.

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
Here in the UK these ads serve to underline the differences between MS and Apple. Our Mac and PC ads were only shown at cinemas and online, not on TV. The MS ones are plastered all over TV to the point of annoyance, the vast majority of people have no idea that they are a retaliation and simply find them annoying.

Altogether it sums up that Apple have original ideas, then MS copy it but completely miss the point!

Luftwaffles

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Also, when I see the I'm a PC commercials, I think of all the cool stuff I can do on PCs and how neat it is that Windows can be used in so many different scenarios.

When I see those commercials (once every five minutes) I see WHO uses the computers. I have not seen one single commercial that tells me what I can do with a PC that I can't do with any other computer out there.

These are ACTUAL lines from the I'm a PC ads. These were all taken from one commercial:
"I'm a PC and I wear jeans!"
"I'm a PC and I wear glasses!"
"I'm a PC and I'm a human being!" (Wait, what?)
"I'm a PC and I have 3 rings!"
"I'm a PC and I have a beard!"

Okay, really folks, that's nice. But what in God's name do you do with your computers? I wear jeans, I have a beard, I have 3 rings, I wear sunglasses... oh, and I'm a human being. I guess I should be a PC too just like everyone else. :rolleyes:

MacTraveller

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
- Single-handedly destroying the entire basis of Apple's "I'm a mac, and I'm a PC" adverts. Not to mention in essence, making Apple do their branding for them with every I'm a mac advert

- Giving the "I'm a PC" slogan far more exposure, and as such prompting viewers to recount a Microsoft advert everytime an Apple ad comes on and utters those words.

- Promotes Apple hypocrisy. After what is it, 5-10 years of the exact same advertising campaign, Apple feel the need to create a new one, slamming MS's spending on advertising... even though Apple creates 10x more adverts than MS.

- Showing the fact that Windows is used by 85-88% of the world's population, from all corners, all ways of life, all ages etc

- Blah Blah Blah Blah....

Those PC ads are unremarkable. The vast majority of the viewers don't even remember ever seeing them. Complete waste of advertising dollars.

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
[...] I have not seen one single commercial that tells me what I can do with a PC that I can't do with any other computer out there.[...]

there are many other adverts that send out a message about the lifestyle of te user, not about the product. Coca Cola must be the classic example. In this case, IMHO it's about MS trying to cloud the waters a bit, because Apple has a very positive lifestyle connotation.

Luftwaffles

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Kansas City, MO
there are many other adverts that send out a message about the lifestyle of te user, not about the product. Coca Cola must be the classic example. In this case, IMHO it's about MS trying to cloud the waters a bit, because Apple has a very positive lifestyle connotation.

Agreed, I think it's good that Microsoft is trying to debunk the whole "no-fun only-business" myth, but to claim that the commercials advertise what a PC can do is patently false. If Microsoft intended for the "I'm a PC" ads to be some witty retort to Apple's ad campaign, they missed the point by a long shot. A long long shot. They couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in a B-52.

And let's not forget the fact that they did use the world's best Operating System to produce the ads. :D

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
They're not ads, they're responses to ads, and not very good ones either. Thread derailed. Also, I find every single mac ad funny, and the microsoft ones are too. I laugh at them because they're so stupid. Yes, I'm a fanboy :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.