PDA

View Full Version : Convert Video to IPOD - gives white screen

malcg
Dec 29, 2008, 03:40 AM
Hi
Been searching the forums but although the problem is noted not solution has been posted that I can find, can anyone help.

I am using iTunes 8.0.2 (20) on a G5 iMAC with OS X 10.5.6. I have a video that plays fine in iTunes and on AppleTV.

KIND: MPEG-4 video file (mp4), Profile: Low Complexity, Channels: Multi, Bit Rate: 223 kbps, Video Dimensions: 720x304, Video Codec: H.264.

When I convert using Advanced->Create iPOD or iPHONE Version it appears to convert the file fine giving the same as above but Channels: Stereo, Video Dimensions: 640x352, Video Codec: H.264

Only on problem .... I get perfect stereo sound but the video just shows a white screen on bith iTunes and the iPOD I try to play them on.

I have also tried with QuicktimePro and the Windows version of iTunes with the same effect .... missing something here ... is it a codec issue?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Regards
Malcolm

dolphin842
Dec 30, 2008, 07:12 PM
Try converting the movie with HandBrake (http://www.handbrake.fr) instead. There's a preset for iPod video, as well a little checkbox to ensure iPod 5G support if you have the first video-enabled iPod.

KrazyKuul
Dec 30, 2008, 10:05 PM
yeah, use any other file converter.

i had a great file converter before, but i am so mad at myself for forgetting what it was called.

it had options for stuff like iTunes video, iPod/ iPhone video, and tons of strange formats too.

i recommend going to download.com and searching for a file converter. all of their downloads are virus, malware, spam, etc.. free.

adamfishercox
Jan 22, 2009, 09:25 PM
I use iSquint for this, but really... it's a prominent menu item in iTunes, it shouldn't fail so miserably at doing what it says it should. It would be much easier to just have a version made within iTunes than having to find the movie file in the Finder, toss it into iSquint, export to the desktop, drag into iTunes, then delete the desktop file.