Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Not to mention Nick, MTV, VH1 and more?

'Colbert,' 'SpongeBob' may go dark on Time Warner
By RYAN NAKASHIMA – 4 hours ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — "SpongeBob SquarePants" may be getting squeezed off of Time Warner Cable.

Media giant Viacom Inc. said its Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central and 16 other channels will go dark for 13 million subscribers at 12:01 a.m. Thursday if a new carriage fee deal with Time Warner Cable is not agreed upon by then.

The impasse would mean "SpongeBob" and other popular shows like Jon Stewart's "The Daily Show" and Stephen Colbert's "The Colbert Report" will be cut off, said spokesman Alex Dudley, a vice president at Time Warner Cable. The nation's second-largest cable operator primarily serves customers in New York state, the Carolinas, Ohio, Southern California and Texas.

Viacom has asked for fee increases of between 22 percent and 36 percent per channel, an amount that could increase customers' cable bills, Dudley said. Viacom spokeswoman Kelly McAndrew said the requested increase was in the very low double-digit percentage range.

"The issue is that they have asked for an exorbitant increase in their carriage fees and their network ratings are sagging," Dudley said. "Basically we're trying to hold the line for our customer."

Viacom said the increases would cost an extra 23 cents a month per subscriber — which works out to $35.9 million more in total. It said that Americans spend a fifth of their TV time watching Viacom shows but its fees make up less than 2.5 percent of the Time Warner cable bill.

"We make this request because Time Warner Cable has so greatly undervalued our channels for so long," it said.
I don't myself like Time Warner, but in this case I have to side with them. Enough of rate increases, whether they're "carriage" charges or cable bills or whatever.

I don't even buy the "undervalued" argument. The sports channels are over-valued, which is why there's the disparity. They cost a lot for cable companies to carry.

Sorry, Viacom, I can't cry any crocodile tears for you. And quit urging me to call my cable operator. :mad:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Disney will be next on block due to their yearly revenue increase by raising cable rates.

This is the cause of basic cable going up every year.

Be nice to see cable companies dumping some of these companies off basic cable and lowering rates. Doubt we'd get the benefit of the less expensive plans though.

Put these companies into their own pay package and see how much people really want them -- doubt they'd be making as much in their own Viacom channel package.

Hmmm ... $19.95 basic cable without the expensive channels with the channels that want the widest audience or $49.95 for premium basic cable -- tough choice.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
The content providers need to force the a la carte pricing scheme. Let the customer set the value, not the middle man. I'm a TWC subscriber and I hope more networks jump ship. It'll just entice me more to ditch cable once and for all. Now I need Apple to make me some decent media center hardware...:eek:

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
Disney will be next on block due to their yearly revenue increase by raising cable rates.

This is the cause of basic cable going up every year.

Be nice to see cable companies dumping some of these companies off basic cable and lowering rates. Doubt we'd get the benefit of the less expensive plans though.

Put these companies into their own pay package and see how much people really want them -- doubt they'd be making as much in their own Viacom channel package.

Hmmm ... $19.95 basic cable without the expensive channels with the channels that want the widest audience or $49.95 for premium basic cable -- tough choice.

I'd probably go for the a la carte model too if it were offered. Doing a quick rundown of my lineup (Comcast), I'd say I (semi-)regularly watch maybe 1/3 of what they offer. They can gladly block my access to HGTV and Lifetime and crap like that in exchange for $10 back on my bill.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I wish the FCC would require cable companies to offer "lifeline" cable. All I really want is my locals, and OTA does not pick up well in my new home. I would need two separate antennas pointing in different directions. :(

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I wish the FCC would require cable companies to offer "lifeline" cable. All I really want is my locals, and OTA does not pick up well in my new home. I would need two separate antennas pointing in different directions. :(

Comcast does, for $13 a month you get the most basic package of just your locals + cable access, and in my area Discovery and WGN.

Of course I don't know if this will last after they discontinue their analog side of their service, and cut all cable access networks off the lower channels and bump them up into the 900 series.

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Man, I hope they get this worked out. Stoppages like that do no one any good in the long term. Just ask Major League Baseball.;)

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA

Disney--EXTREMELY unlikely. The reason is simple: the Disney-owned channels are among the most desirable for cable customers, especially this monster called ESPN. And most importantly, Disney does not have potential conflicts of interest by ownership in any cable systems.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky

I wish you could customize your subscriptions and get only the channels you want.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Disney--EXTREMELY unlikely. The reason is simple: the Disney-owned channels are among the most desirable for cable customers, especially this monster called ESPN. And most importantly, Disney does not have potential conflicts of interest by ownership in any cable systems.

No but the Disney-Time Warner spat does threaten to darken their channels all the time.

What is odd is the spat is really digging in their heels with a group of channels which have a license fee 65% lower than Disney, TNT, etc. so the next round with Disney could get very ugly again -- aka, no ABC during sweeps again.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
It's over, they came to terms.
DAMMIT, More Zach and Cody mindless drivel. I have to talk to my daughter.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
U-verse FTW!

problem with this is if Vicom wins you will see everyone else have to eat the increase as well.

Uverse if you have not noticed has removed some of there best features for free as well.

Most notibly no more 3 TV boxes with out having to pay any extra. Now it is $7 per box after the first one which sucks.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
i beleive you guys will be loosing some of the music channels like VH1 classrock.

those are some great channels.

I cant remember what charter is dumping but I am so ready for directv.
Nw if I could only convince my sweetie.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Uverse if you have not noticed has removed some of there best features for free as well.

Most notibly no more 3 TV boxes with out having to pay any extra. Now it is $7 per box after the first one which sucks.

Nope, I haven't noticed. I don't pay a dime for extra U-verse boxes ;) AT&T employee discount FTW! :D

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Personally this really is part of the reason why I don't have cable or even watch TV really. If media giants like Viacom want to raise these fees, then why the hell do they keep on turning out garbage?

I always felt rather offended seeing commercials on cable. I thought part of the thing was that you paid partially for fewer commercials. It's just like getting commercials at the beginning of movies.

I can't say that I would side with Time Warner on it either. If you have a contract with them I would like to see them cancel accounts without charging, even though it would have been their responsibility to do so.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
PI always felt rather offended seeing commercials on cable. I thought part of the thing was that you paid partially for fewer commercials. It's just like getting commercials at the beginning of movies.

Imagine how much a cable bill would be without commercials. Thousands of dollars, at this rate...

I can't say that I would side with Time Warner on it either. If you have a contract with them I would like to see them cancel accounts without charging, even though it would have been their responsibility to do so.

Yeah, this is truly a case where it's hard to root for either side.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Last I checked, our Time Warner Cable was still showing Comedy Channel, et. al., which suggests that this is a bluff. But you have to love Viacom's approach -- telling people to beg Time Warner to raise their monthly charges. Brilliant. They should all go to hell as soon as possible.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Last I checked, our Time Warner Cable was still showing Comedy Channel, et. al., which suggests that this is a bluff. But you have to love Viacom's approach -- telling people to beg Time Warner to raise their monthly charges. Brilliant. They should all go to hell as soon as possible.

They came to a last minute agreement but have you looked at your new monthly rates starting January 1 insert w. your new bill?

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
I wish you could customize your subscriptions and get only the channels you want.

That'd be great, but of course they won't do that. There would be too many people who would only get one or two channels. For instance, the only channel anyone ever watches at my place is Comedy Central, so that'd be the only one we have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.