Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzzy105oly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I am a pretty no fuss guy, I like technology minimal and to the point. Touch stuff annoys the crap out of me, but I have a very large music collection and my only desire is to have it acccesible to me at all times as well as the ability to back up other stuff. A classic Ipod makes far more sense than a nano or a touch because of the sheer memory and simplicity.

A friend of mine is selling his 6g 80, I have been reading reviews about problems with the 6g such as slowness, sound quality etc etc. I have also read that some of the problems were corrected in the updates, and the the 120gig classic also had further updates which improved.

My concern is that as there are no more updates for the 80/160 models, any problems left are uncorrectable. Again, from reading reviews and posts around the net it seems that the last update for the 80 did help, but did not completely fix the problems with the cover flow and other playlist bugs etc. I do not want to buy something that screws up on me.

I have several options as it stands, the 80 Ipod, a brand new 120, where by I can hope that continued updates will eliminate any problems or I find a 5g 80gig as these models seem to be extremely reliable, fail safe and idiot proof.

I was wondering what the thoughts of you guys are, any input, be it personal or otherwise is appreciated. Thank you!

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
I can vouch for the 5.5G 80GB model. I loved that iPod. I actually regret selling it and buying an iPhone...

fuzzy105oly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I can vouch for the 5.5G 80GB model. I loved that iPod. I actually regret selling it and buying an iPhone...

I will have a good play around with the 6g 80 for a while, if not then I will begin searching for a 5.5

Thank you for the prompt reply.

fuzzy105oly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
why not get the 120gb

A used (possibly stolen) 80 will cost me far far far less than the 120. I am not a stinge but I dont see the need to spend more than I need to. However I will spend the cash if the majority opinion is to get a 120

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
If it were me I would get the 120gb. I wouldnt want a used iPod especially a hard drive based one since it could fail because you dont know its history.

pisces03x

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Yeah, I (like everybody else here) would rather get the current-generation 120GB. One of the reasons is the thickness; the higher-capacity 5-6G iPods were always way too thick for me, and it looks like with this generation they finally got it right.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I'd go with a new "6.5G" iPod classic 120 GB. At least there's a better guarantee it will work correctly, and unless you store a lot of Apple Lossless files or store a lot of videos, you can store circa 15,000 songs in either AAC or MP3 256 kbps VBR formats (AAC 256 kbps VBR is the format used by the iTunes Plus section of the iTunes Music Store and MP3 256 kbps VBR is the format used by the Amazon MP3 download store).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.