Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nate13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
2 ?s

1. can i use highter rated ram (2700) in my iMac which uses 2100?

2. Is it possible to access the long dimm slot so i can upgrade to a full 1 gb? (please post link/ pics if possible)

thanx in advance
;)

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
nate13 said:
2 ?s

2. Is it possible to access the long dimm slot so i can upgrade to a full 1 gb? (please post link/ pics if possible)

thanx in advance
;)

I don't think there is any problems using PC2700 DDR SODIMMs in your iMac. My 1 GHz iMac has PC2700 DDR RAM in it. That RAM came free with the iMac. However you will NOT see any speed improvements by using the faster RAM.

Yes it is possible to access the inside of your iMac. I WILL void the warranty on it unless you take it to an authorized Apple service center and have them do it. So if you screw something up taking it apart or putting it back together YOU will have to pay for it to get fixed.

Here is the link to take your iMac apart:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html

nate13

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2004
Fargo, ND
dont think so!

mklos said:
I don't think there is any problems using PC2700 DDR SODIMMs in your iMac. My 1 GHz iMac has PC2700 DDR RAM in it. That RAM came free with the iMac. However you will NOT see any speed improvements by using the faster RAM.

Yes it is possible to access the inside of your iMac. I WILL void the warranty on it unless you take it to an authorized Apple service center and have them do it. So if you screw something up taking it apart or putting it back together YOU will have to pay for it to get fixed.

Here is the link to take your iMac apart:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html

Two words
yeah right!!
im going to my local mac store for that, and that sadly will cost an extra 50-100$ (idk)
it made sense to be able to use 2700 tho,
thanx :D

UKMacBod

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2004
nate13 said:
2 ?s

thanx in advance
;)

I can't see any technical reason why you can't use higher rated RAM, but it will not actually run at the higher rate in your system, it will speed-down to the 2100 rate I believe...

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
nate13 said:
Two words
yeah right!!
im going to my local mac store for that, and that sadly will cost an extra 50-100$ (idk)
it made sense to be able to use 2700 tho,
thanx :D

Ok, remember that taking your iMac apart voids your warranty! Don't screw it up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.